The Spiky Club Open 2007 13/14th October

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Would you attend the Spiky Club Open next Year if it ran the week before the world cup?

yes leave it as a warmup!
59%
No Move it to September
41%

Total votes: 17

ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

Hi Guys

it has come to my attention that the NAF world cup has been set for the weekend after the spiky open...

My Question is this...

Would you guys like the Open to run as planned, maybe as a warmup to the wold cup..

or would you like it to be moved to the begining of september

as always its your event.. so please respond...

Reason: ''
dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

To be honest I was gutted about missing this year and so I voted 'move it' very selfishly in order to give me a better chance of makingit next year :roll: :D .

I deffinately want to be at the World Cup and I definately want to be at the Spikey so it financially it makes sense to move it. That being said there is alot to be said for consistancy and keeping that weekend free each year...

Bah, not sure really, I suppose moving it would probably be best for you personally as it would make it alot easier to attend the WC and not be suffering from 'BB fatigue'...?

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

Spikey is its own great tourney in its own right I would like to see it moved forward by a month so as not to compete with the world cup

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

rodders wrote:Spikey is its own great tourney in its own right I would like to see it moved forward by a month so as not to compete with the world cup
Agreed, but I'd still do my damndest to attend even if it was the week before.
But isn't Carnage at the beginning of September (honestly can't remember)?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Gumbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gumbo »

Makes sense if we don't have the EB in November to have the Spikey in November, just this once!

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Makes no difference to me - am happy to attend a week before - At least with Spikey you can be free to use own models rather than being forced into GW standard models now that its at Warhammer World.

I think you have a unique enough forum to still capture a good attendence! :lol:

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Tritex wrote:At least with Spikey you can be free to use own models rather than being forced into GW standard models now that its at Warhammer World.
NAF are running the World Cup, not GW, so any models are allowed (just to correct you in case people get the wrong idea).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Darkson wrote:
Tritex wrote:At least with Spikey you can be free to use own models rather than being forced into GW standard models now that its at Warhammer World.
NAF are running the World Cup, not GW, so any models are allowed (just to correct you in case people get the wrong idea).
Oh great!! :lol: ....Just assumed GW at Warhammer world would have put the dampners on this!

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

If i had a choice to attend one or the other it would be spiky, isnt the WC supposed to be a four day event? there`s no way i could afford to stay in notts for that long.

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Please let me explain why i brought this to Ace2k's attention in the first place. In the PM I sent, in not so many words, was this..

Lots of People are coming from very far away with a main objective of coming to play BB. So, if Dave (Ace) hit the same wkend 07 as 06, then it would be right before the WC. So all those American, Canadian and Oz players coming over (lets face it a 2 week trip) really to play BB, at least they could get 2 tournies in, not one.

Hey the WC is 3 days... 6 games, maybe 7. There will 20 plus coaches having travelled thousands of miles....how many other chances will get to play them? Yeah, fumble and that.... this real desktop and meet the player. You wont get this chance often....

TFF mod team
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

My perosnnel feelings are that if it was the week before I would take the week off work and do both, maybe hang out with a few of the US guys while I am there, sound good Jim?

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Valen wrote:My perosnnel feelings are that if it was the week before I would take the week off work and do both, maybe hang out with a few of the US guys while I am there, sound good Jim?
Exactly. Whatever country, whoever, this is a very rare chance of meeting so many people we just wouldnt normally get to.

TFF mod team
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Lycos, I can see where you are coming from, but look at the response that (I forget who) got about holding a tournament over 2 saturdays. There are many people that will find it difficult to get 2 consecative weekends off, especially seeing as the WC is meant to carry on over to the monday, meaning that even taking a weeks holiday isn't going to cover it.

Add in the fact of the cost of 2 tourneys back-to-back (and the costs of travel, accomadation, booze etc), and it's not that doable for everyone.

I know if they were back-to-back, I'd have to give one a miss, and unfortunately it would be Spiky, just for the reason you listed about the WC. :(

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

i think this is a no win situation really as you are not going to please everyone.

Me...i am not bothered as doing a two week shift pattern will mean i will have to take one of them off if was two consecuative weekends. If it was pushed back the laws of sod would mean both of them would fall on my working weekend.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

(That was Mordred asking about the 2 weekends question!!)

Darkson, yeah, and I can see your side too, I dont see either of us being right or wrong. Thing is... is it really about us, as in the UK guys. Is this more about those coming so far? That is my point really. We dont have to up sticks, fork out heaven knows how much money etc. I am quite possibly in the same boat as you but I would possibly do spiky and drive up and back on 1 day (Sunday probably) to Nottm to meet people and not play. We all have commitments etc.

Maybe it was unfair to throw this at Ace, maybe. It is his tourney (or Spiky club) and they have the final word, regardless of a poll.

TFF mod team