2007 Spike! tourney

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Colin
Legend
Legend

2007 Spike! tourney

Post by Colin »

Here are the pics I took at the Spike! Magazine tourney in Calgary over the weekend.

People arriving for registration Saturday morning.

The prizes that were up for grabs

The bunch from Vancouver

Da Scum and his posse from Edmonton

My first opponant of the day, Iain F., playing his dwarf team, the Marauders. I was also playing dwarves and managed to get a 2-1 win and 2-0 in CAS despite having to play all game in a blizzard.

My second opponant, Wayne S. who also played dwarves :roll: and if it wasn't enough to face 2 other dwarf teams back to back, this team had the same team name as mine, the Mountaineers. Close game, played in a blizzard again :roll: couldn't score the TD to tie it up so lost 0-1 (as well 0-2 in CAS)

More of the first day action
Toby (Rustycan) playing (and losing) against last year's Apocolypse tourney winner, Steve

The thing everyone was playing for, the Spike! trophy.

Scott McGaffin's nicely painted orc team which won the Best Painted award

Some of the other teams at the tourney

My third opponant was one of the Vancouver lads, Lee E., who played Chaos (finally a different team to face :roll: :wink: ) He was a great opponant and we only managed a 1-1 tie, but I beat him 3-0 in CAS.

Last game on saturday had me facing Tom R from Calgary and his Pro Elf team (and he was the eventual winner) and I lost 1-2 (edged him 2-1 in CAS, couldn't break his armour or score any CAS until near the end of the second half :roll: )

The large scale board built by the Vancouver boys using 40mm squares.

The board was used in the tournament as well.

Sunday saw me facing Alex L, playing another Pro Elf team :roll: He won 2-0 but I beat him 4-0 in CAS

My second opponant of the day was Rob W playing Dark Elves. only managed a 1-1 tie and 1-0 in CAS, but a fun game.

The last game of the tourney had me facing one of the people I rode down with Norm W. from Edmonton, also playing Dark Elves :roll:, and again ending in a 1-1 tie, but 2-0 in CAS.

Some of the final game action.

Eveyone waiting upstairs while the final points are calculated before the presentation of prizes.

The trophey presentations begin, presided over by the tournament organiser and host, ToppyT.

The Best Painted award went to Scott (as mentioned earlier), well deserved.

Unfortunately I forgot most of the rest of the people's names (didn't write them down or anything), so forgive me for not mentioning them.

The Sportsmanship Award went to the lass from Edmonton

Another Edmontonian who played Gobbos, wins the trophy for most CAS suffered (on oneself), called the Rasberry Squishy Award, and much to his surprise, he also receives a rasberry flavoured slushee.

The Undead team player wins the award for the most CAS inflicted, Gilllotine Award

Alex wins the Endzone Hog Award for scoring the most TDs in the tourney.

Richard from Lethbridge came in second.

As stated earlier, Tom from Calgary, wins the overall title and hoists the Spike! trophy.

A final shot of the whole group.

It was a great time, hope the Spike! is in Calgary again next year. It would be great to see more people from the West Coast come out (and maybe some from out east as well) :wink:

Reason: ''
GO STAMPEDERS!
Skaven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skaven »

Great Pics Torg....

Ahh I see my legacy as SPIKE Champion has alas come to an end..

Now that I have a real paying job again maybe I'll make it out there next year.

Rod

Commishioner of the NFUL (Niagara Falls Underworld League)

Niagara Falls Ontario Canada, home of the Warpstone Cup.
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Nice poster

What are the chances of getting my hands on one?

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Bod it would be great to see you and some of the other southern Ontario coaches come out for the Spike!, it would be a great time, you wouldn't regret it. :wink:

Hoomie, contact ToppyT (either here, the NAF site or the AbBBA site), he's the only one who would know if there are any left over (I really doubt it).

GO STAMPEDERS!
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

cheers torg

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Meradanis
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Meradanis »

The picture showing the team of your first opponent on sunday is wrong, I think. We should see Pro Elves, but we get Dark Elves (the team from your sunday game 2 opponent).

Nontheless, nice couple of pics !

Father911
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Father911 »

Thanks for the Pics Colin, Wish I had been there, I got sick and couldn't make it. Nice to see Scott win best painted, He started planning that team as soon as the tounament ended last year :)

Star Player

Post by generaljason »

Great pics there Colin. I guess it wouldn't have killed us to smile eh?

Thunderbowl - Home to the Spike! Magazine. Sept. 14-15, 2013.
http://thunderbowl.ca/tbsn/
http://spiketournament.com/
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Meradanis wrote:The picture showing the team of your first opponent on sunday is wrong, I think. We should see Pro Elves, but we get Dark Elves (the team from your sunday game 2 opponent).

Nontheless, nice couple of pics !
Thanks for spotting that, corrected it now.

GO STAMPEDERS!
generaljason
Star Player
Star Player

Post by generaljason »

Well, now that you guys have seen it first hand, and some of you had the opportunity of playing on it, what did you guys think of the 40mm scale up?

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

I liked it, I think you might try one without the spaces between the squares, try a big sheet of static grass with painted on lines. Just a thoght. :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
lordchaos
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lordchaos »

I had a lot of fun. I flirted with 1st place for most of the tourney until my dice stabbed me in the back. I would definately go again. Toppy did a great job hosting it and I liked meeting all the Alberta bb'ers. You are good guys. I hope to see some of you come out to Vancouver and play in a Thunderbowl tourney in the future. Let's keep Western Canada on top of Canadian bb!

Trob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Trob »

Nice photos Torg - especially mine - I look so cynical. :x
Only two of mine turned out decently...oh well.

Thanks to everyone who came from out of town & of course all you Calgarians - great job again Toppy! I'll drop a line to the Vancouver crew when I'm out there (probably the 20th to 28th)

Re: the 40mm board: It was strange at first but you would get used to it quickly. Great idea for those larger size minis.

cheers!

Member of AbBBA (Alberta Blood Bowl Association) www.abbba.org
generaljason
Star Player
Star Player

Post by generaljason »

So Toppy - when are the Spike Open results going to be posted? I checked out the AbBBA site today and wasn't able to find them. Tyler and Lee want to know how they did, and I'm kind of curious how horrible I did. :D

Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rustycan »

Well I did much worse that you Craig, that was my worst tourney in the 4 years!! :x Thats what I get for making a team 4 days before the tourney! Oh well there is always next year, just started painting a new team so we will see how it goes.....

When I was a kid, my father used to say the two worst things in the world are Ignorance and Apathy,
Well I dont know and I dont care!!