Random Skills...

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Random Skills...

Post by Deathwing »

Random skills at Res. tournies. I appreciate that variety is the spice of life, but I'm not a fan. I've been both the beneficiary and the 'victim' on several occasions now. A double on a big guy early in a tourney is a huge advantage, especially when your opponent has rolled normal on a lineman type. I simply prefer to start each game on a level playing field, not start a game with either an advantage or a disadvantage dependent on what the skill rolls have been and which players they happen to have fallen on. 3 normal skills on lineman types vs. 3 normal skills on key players is enough of an edge, when you start allowing doubles and multi-skills, well....

Of course it's nice when you get lucky, and multi-skilled players with doubles are always a talking point (and sometimes the stuff of legend!), but just not a huge fan for the reasons above.
Not a major winge or crusade, just out there for discussion and opinion(s).

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Random Skills...

Post by DoubleSkulls »

No one does it in Australia. The most common format for skills is probably 'static' so you play the same team every round.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

I don't mind it now and again. Trollbowl had that system and it was a good laugh as was Geoff's 'Fruitbowl' tournament. I wouldn't want to play random skills all the time, but as a change it's quite refreshing.

Nice thing about there being so many tourneys at the moment is that you can still get a major BB fix without having to play rulesets you don't enjoy.

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Perhaps add the TR cost of additional skills, so if you've only rolled normal skills, and your opponent has doubls and/or stat+, their TR is higher (which I know doesn't help much in the game, but does make a small difference to the NAF points [afaik]).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

The Troll Bowl rules were random skills but each person either got a double or a normal skill, you didn't roll for skills you rolled to see you got the skill.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Thumbs down from me. There's enough luck in the game and in the draw already without adding another layer of dice to shaft you!

Although; that's the sort of opinion that get's you put into the 'Cares too much, isn't it supposed to be about fun, try Ogres, they're hilarious, the atmos is better on the bottom tables, my BOB has Fend, Block's no fun, you powergamer' sort of pidgeon hole, isn't it? I suppose it's rare enough that it's a novelty (in the UK at least, I can think of Pearlies and not much else?), and I should be less of an old stick in the mud. ;)

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

I'd guess woody is talking about Pearlies, given that thats just gone by :) (I couldnt go and missed you all btw :() I believe the Carrot Crunch also introduces a random element to skill selection and both the Strongbowl and Tritex have used rulesets that have a random element.

Pearlies has an especially peculiar system that seems terrible but is actually balanced by an equally peculiar scoring system. I'm not a huge fan of the idea. However, I really enjoyed Pearlies (along with all of the tournaments I mentioned above) both as an event and as a series of games. So the random systems cant be too bad ;) Its not as if we have an infestation of these rulesets so I think its actually a nice thing we have them, they add variety.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.