Why play tournaments?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Why play tournaments?

It means a weekend away from your loved ones :)
11%
You can prove yourself against the best coaches
19%
You meet up with BB friends from around the country
37%
Saturday evening social
17%
You can show off your painting
8%
You can win stuff
8%

Total votes: 214

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Why play tournaments?

Post by besters »

I just prefer to play TT games as opposed to on-line.

Reason: ''
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

I've met Joe, and just the idea about him having friends is scary ;) so I will sleep much more securely now!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The social aspect is really the key for me, to be honest playing 6 games in 2 days can be a bit of a chore as it gets in the way of the drinking and chatting.

At the GT this year I groaned at the start of every round as I really couldn’t be bothered playing, mind you once the game started I enjoyed it as all 6 of my opponents were really nice and the games were good. Only the last game was a real struggle as I was tired and it was sunny outside, plus the lack of air con made it hard to concentrate.

The good thing about playing online is that you can get to know people from around the country and the world that you’d never normally meet. Attending a your first BB tournament knowing there are people you like and get on with is a lot less of a scary prospect and all the WIL mafia I have met in the flesh have been great people.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

How does playing games stop you in drinking? and chatting? I'ts a part of the game for any dane :D

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

All good stuff - part of the point of the thread was to encourage TFF browsers to go to tournaments, and there are obviously lots of good reasons. Looks like the big one I missed out was to meet in the flesh those people you have played against online.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

spubbbba wrote:...all the WIL mafia I have met in the flesh have been great people.
Even if they keep you awake all night? ;) I've never used this smiley correctly before... :puke:

Also; :oops:

I'd put actually playing the games bottom of my list too. It's great fun, BB, don't get me wrong, but the banter and build up before, the craic on the evenings out, and the looking back fondly / with regret are the best bits. I do like manually moving the bits around and rolling the dice, but I like playing online just as much (less fun going through the motions of playing the game, but better convenience / TV, so sort of evens itself out). The thing that sells tournaments is the scene around playing them for me, I’d encourage anyone to try it once. I’ve found it somewhat addictive…

Sizzler
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sizzler »

It's the people I guess. Blood Bowl is more of an excuse to get together than a reason.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Joemanji wrote:I have no loved ones
Time for a manji hug? :D

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
maximu160490
Veteran
Veteran

Post by maximu160490 »

Tourneys are a great excuse to drink and meet up with people.

I'm never going to win one but the crack of meeting up with peopel is worth it.

I dont want to know how much has been spent on tourneys this year - i must be at over a grand :roll:

NAF: Trainspotter

I am doing the Great North Run in aid of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. Any donations are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GeorgeWilliams2
Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

Blood Bowl tournaments are nothing like Warhammer tournaments btw....its a much more fun vibe going on. Sure, everyone wants to win, but they are there to hang out, share stories....and hopefully get mentioned on a future Zlurpcast! :smoking:

The Dazzler II
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Dazzler II »

Ive only ever dabbled at the BB scene ... so thought i'd give it a crack with some tournies here and there

I'm taking Stunties, with a buillt in advance excuse for doing so poorly

Carpe Nasem
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The Dazzler wrote: I'm taking Stunties, with a buillt in advance excuse for doing so poorly
OK, so having just been at the Cakebowl with 8 (eight!) stunty teams out of 20, what is this about? I love the ogres as much (more?) than the next man, but why go to a tournament and not try and win? Obviously if we all took wood elves, undead, skaven, lizardmen or orcs, life would be somewhat dull, but I can't help think that they would actually be more interesting if there were 24 players with 24 different teams (Ironmanj...) rather than teams with built in "gimmicks". Come on, if you want an excuse for doing poorly take khemri, or high elves (none at the NAF champs).

Just playing devil's advocate, will get off my high horse now.

Mike

PS not having a go at Dazzler, he just happened to have an appropriate quote :D
PPS or Nurgle, or Chaos, or Underworld...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

At the end of the day only one person can win a tourney, so if that's someone's only motivation to go, then they're going to be disappointed. From the other end of the argument, if you're not going to win the tourney, why not turn up with a team that you enjoy playing?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Wise words Matt. I think that lots of other teams could be fun, it's just a shame that playing stunty seems to be a default setting for a team that people enjoy playing. I love playing vampires, chaos dwarfs, all sorts, and it would be good if coaches were encouraged to try the variety. Maybe...

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

BURN THE HERETIC...BURN HIiiiiim!
Bring Forth The Vat of Cursed Gravy....Boil him alive!..... :wink:

"In Dodge We Trust"