Why play tournaments?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Why play tournaments?

It means a weekend away from your loved ones :)
11%
You can prove yourself against the best coaches
19%
You meet up with BB friends from around the country
37%
Saturday evening social
17%
You can show off your painting
8%
You can win stuff
8%

Total votes: 214

The Dazzler II
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Why play tournaments?

Post by The Dazzler II »

sann0638 wrote:
The Dazzler wrote: I'm taking Stunties, with a buillt in advance excuse for doing so poorly
OK, so having just been at the Cakebowl with 8 (eight!) stunty teams out of 20, what is this about? I love the ogres as much (more?) than the next man, but why go to a tournament and not try and win? Obviously if we all took wood elves, undead, skaven, lizardmen or orcs, life would be somewhat dull, but I can't help think that they would actually be more interesting if there were 24 players with 24 different teams (Ironmanj...) rather than teams with built in "gimmicks". Come on, if you want an excuse for doing poorly take khemri, or high elves (none at the NAF champs).

Just playing devil's advocate, will get off my high horse now.

Mike

PS not having a go at Dazzler, he just happened to have an appropriate quote :D
PPS or Nurgle, or Chaos, or Underworld...
Ha ha - no offence taken :)

I have quite a few painted teams:
Skaven
Dwarfs
CDs
Zons
Undead/Necro
Elfs
Gobbos

and i'm always thinking about figures for a new team.

BB is my favoutite game by far but i tend to take a break from the madness now and then

My only gripe with BB [if Pug wanted to boil me in gravy he's going to positively freak now!!] :lol: ... and its only a small one, miniscule even ... is that it almost feels that whatever team i play it still does the same (with slightly different knobs on). You move down field, rarely pass, cage & score. Or at least that's the plan.

Remember i also said that BB is my favourite game before you all drag me to the stake

I tend to play a team for a season or two so that i feel i have a reasonable handle on it

I tried Flings but i found them well, dull to use [Pug i'm sorry, what can i say?]. Gobbos are just different IMHO. Its hard to cage when you have no players, i love Secret Weapons & never more so when they go t*ts up for me. Trolls eating my own players is a blast

But, a word of caution, i don't roll over and die. I'll beat you if i can and will foul your favourite player off the pitch etc. And should i be blessed with a Win [or even a Draw - hell you have to take what you can with Gobbos] ... then you have an invite to the GIMPs'/BB Mean Greenies Wall of Shame :wink:

So, still think i'm playing just to turn up and lose? :orc:

PS isn't there something called the Stunty Cup?

PPS and if you beat me [shrugs - you beat Gobbos]. But if i beat you ... :evil:

Reason: ''
Carpe Nasem
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

I may withhold the Boiling in Gravy, for a small session of Kipper Slapping....you did big up a stunty team :wink:

...although a trip to a counsellor would help your G.I.T (Glowworm Infected Trauma) of Gobbo love... :orc:

"In Dodge We Trust"
The Dazzler II
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Dazzler II »

But ... but ... Gobbos are Awesome!!
[THWAAACK/OUCH!!!!]

Carpe Nasem
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Currently, I have the goal to play all 24 races at tournaments (only 5 to go!), then I'm going back to playing Norse and Underworld, as I enjoy both races (even though I'm no good with either of them [no, I'm no good with the other 22 either, before anyone comments!]), plus they both give me ideas for conversion work on the players (which I'll probably never do, but having an idea at least keeps them in my mind!).

When it all comes down to it, I know that, without an obscene amount of luck, I'm not going to win (another) tournament, so I might as well play teams I enjoy playing, whether they're good or bad - if the only reason for turning up was the goal of winning* the whole shebang, then we might as well just restrict entry to the 15-20 top players in the UK (for UK tourneys I mean).

* Doesn't mean I won't play to win, and doesn't mean I don't think about winning another tourney, but I'm a realist.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Igor Tahavanale
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Igor Tahavanale »

Who says Stunties can't win? I don't think my record with Goblins is much worse than my record with anything else... although that probably just proves I'm awful with most teams :wink:

Stunties at tournies are always a laugh. If I'm playing 6 or 7 games in 2 days then it had better be entertaining. And that's the point of the thread - I go to tournies to have a good time.

I like Dwarfs but the mashed up grind can get a bit mentally draining after 96 turns each way! I've played the middle of the spectrum and it's just not as fun. What never gets old is the 2-dice-against seat-of-the-pants blitz that comes up POW and sets up a break your opponent can't believe. I've had to buy a few pints to make up for some TDs that were almost insulting in my time but that's the price you pay for wearing winged underwear (flying by the seat of my...).

I've done 5 Bloodbowls (well 4 and the NAF championship) and Da Smarteez have been all 5 times. That should tell you something :wink:

Only Smarteez 'av Da Ansa
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

...check out the "Blogs" section for the Stunty Kings list...I'll check to see if I got your name correct from the NAFC pdf list..since it didn't give NAF names...*tut*

"In Dodge We Trust"
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

AH HA!!!! I got it wrong...changing now to TFF name...

"In Dodge We Trust"
sharnt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sharnt »

I enjoy tourny play cos its different from league and i see more coaches and hear more ideas on how to play. I know i'm not master mind at the game so i play stuntys cos nothing beats sitting down against a coach who says "alright halflings, i was hoping for an easy win" then watching there faces as you score then tell then they can have there first turn XD