Ideas for a different way to structure a BB tourney.

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Ideas for a different way to structure a BB tourney.

Post by Magic Dave »

I was thinking about different ways you could structure a BB tourney, the one i keep on thinking about is having a cut after the first day. Now I'm not thinking of sending paying BB'ers home, but by the end of day one there is only a small number of players that can really win the thing. If you lose two games on day one then no matter what you do on day two, you aren't going to win it.

To give the rest of use something to go for how about this. After day one teams are grouped into leagues of four and then play a round robin in that league of three games. Now i know it needs the numbers but the odd group of five could sort this out. Now everyone has something to play for, by grouping the players together for the last day in these leagues people will have something to aim for eg winning there league and the guys at the top will still have the same goal. Most TD and cas would still work the same. I think it could be alot of fun. The idea of playing the round robin for the second day would bring more enjoyment to the mid and lower tables, you could put the two boards together on the same table so the other players can still watch the other game to see how results are going.

From an organiser point of view the leagues could be run quite easy, take the placing of the players for that league after day one and use that as a ranking, so 1st plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd, next round 1st plays 3rd and 2nd plays 4th again using the placement from day one as the ranking for that league and so on.

I think it could be alot of fun, and to run it might take abit to get the right software and so on, but it still doable.

Your thoughts.

Reason: ''
Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Ideas for a different way to structure a BB tourney.

Post by Magic Dave »

And it would make skill choice easyer for the second day as you know what teams your playing and when.

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

Any views at all?

Any chance this could be moved to general?

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

The Vault Con was run along the lines of the Rugby World Seven's tournaments.

Teams split in to groups of 4, play each other on the first day.

The top two in each group qualify for the main draw, the bottom two for a secondary tournament.

After this it was a knockout tournament, to give the losers a game they then played random games.

However, this could be extended so that winners play winners and losers play losers so that you gat a ranking for each player from first to last. Which is pretty much what they do in Seven's.

It was enjoyable and different, the main difficulty being to get the right number of players, ideally you would want 16, 32 or 64 etc.

A way round this could be to extend the league concept, so that you go right to a final or semi-final, dependent upon the number of players. But this would lose the ability to have a secondary tournament and ranking of all players.

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

See my way works in my view better, by having the split on the first day, you don't have to have the right number of coaches. Just make the top group six if you have a number in div by 4, so there is more coaches that can win the top prize as well.

gortexgunnerson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gortexgunnerson »

But when playing at any numbers you would knock out quick a lot of tournament hopefuls by having such a small field, 5 wins out of 6 with good TD and casualities should place in the overall tournament but if you were on 2/3 at the end of the first day then would be unable to place overall. In addition the swizz system should cause this sort of matching so that you play people in similar level opponents.

Having played in a number of chess tournaments over the years a good way of giving incentives to other players was to have grading prices:

ignore exact ranking as not applicable to BB

>180 = open tournamnet
Then prizes for players rated:
<180
<150
<120

this meant that players of all standard had something to aim at against similar standard players.

The big problem with this for BB is the lack of estabilished grading system, unless NAF has a sutable ranking list

Team challenge 2016

Painted: Chaos,
Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

That was one thing that came to mind, what you could do is have six in the top group if the number can't be div by four, or just do that anyway, so more guys have a better chance to win the top prize.