Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: A tourny idea...... Speed Bowl tm

Post by lunchmoney »

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ZHJvaWQiXQ..

Chess clock for Android.

Like the idea! Dunno about 10 games though... brain would ooze out of my ears I think...

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

tchatter wrote:https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ZHJvaWQiXQ..

Chess clock for Android.

Like the idea! Dunno about 10 games though... brain would ooze out of my ears I think...
Clocks are provided. I've already got them.
And I'm just doing 5 games ;)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

A bit far for a one dayer but if it becomes a weekend in the future I'd love a crack at this.

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Wightlord wrote:A bit far for a one dayer but if it becomes a weekend in the future I'd love a crack at this.
I toyed with 2 days, but I think 10 games over 2 days would be to much.

Though if this is successful, and enough people want a 2 day speedbowl, then I can be persauded to extend to a weekend :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

3 hours from my house (or an hour and a half from my parents) is probably doable... though it clashes with the Norwich tournament which is closer - and I have awards to defend. Maybe next year (and would also prefer 2 days, just adds to the carnage :P).

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Speedbowl is over. It appeared to be a great success.

20 coaches played 5 games in half the normal time.
There were one or two questions about the format (mainly about when the clock ends and what to complete) at the start of the day, but everyone got the idea and there were surprisingly few people cursing the clock :)

I questioned everyone about their general alertness and how tired they were feeling after a few games, and again at the end of the day, and no one was really tired, or burnt out, from playing at that speed or that many games.
We took suitable breaks between rounds and lunch after game 2.

I also asked if they would do 2 days, 5 games on each day, and the general impression I got was, yes they would do it.
So next year, Speedbowl II might be on.

To those that were there, please provide any constructive criticism and comments.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

lunchmoney wrote: To those that were there, please provide any constructive criticism and comments.
1. I think you should definately do 10 games over two days speedbowl rocks.

2. I think you should charge more money and then use the extra cash to buy bigger prizes - think massive trophy, crystal plaques, pewter tankards, etc..

3. After the spoon results maybe have a special 4 way spoon match for game six I'm sure it could be very amusing - although it would take 2hrs not 1hr I guess but then it took you an hour to compile the results anyhows so that would fit in nicely.

4. As a tiebreaker (this is not a new thought I have always thought this) combine the net cas & tds. I know it would lead to more tournaments being won by dice offs or coin flips but I think that killing people is as valid a way to win stuff as scoring touchdowns and you don't want to tip the balance (any further) in the favour of WoodElves.

5. People who bring WoodElf teams should have to wear a protective helmet to mark them out as special coachs.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

lunchmoney wrote: To those that were there, please provide any constructive criticism and comments.
A. 10 games in 2 days.....yep thats good, didnt feel "burnt out" after 5, maybe because it seemed pretty constant.

B. Everyone who takes part gets a "certificate" (something printed off) Bigger prizes ?? no, the prizes you had where fine, its BB, its about fun.

C. As suggested on the day, you move your opponents turn marker when you start thier clock, that way no-one can get called for illegal procedure (even though it wasnt in force) several times i moved my opponents turn marker or prompted them and they did the same for me. Its just easier to keep track of turns that way.

D. The timers....They where great, but in a game where you have to look at what your opponent is doing, answer questions (what skill, interception, dodge rolls ect) you cannot concentrate on both the pitch & the timer, several time I heard, "sorry buddy 7 seconds left" or the like.
No-one IMHO deliberatly ommitted to tell thier opponent they had 30 seconds, 10 seconds left, in fact in one game I suggested my opponent finish an action (Blitz) even though the timer had run down as I was concentration on what they where doing and had not given any countdown. (He rolled a push :D )
Maybe 1 large countdown clock (using the projector??) and everyone get 5 mins pre game introductions/roster check/ skills/ pre match sequence & setup, when complete 1 player raises hand (or indicated that pitch is ready) once all pitches are ready master timer starts, calls at 1 minute 30 seconds & 10 second countdown, all games start, break for the half (restart as above) and finish together (simultaniously??) that would also increase the tension as all result would be handed in together....

E. Anyone using a bird of prey avatar/name should be penalised for air-bourne dice incidents but losing 30 seconds from each turn (you know who you are :lol: )

Al, these are all meant as constructive, the day was brilliant, I enjoyed all my games and it appeared everyone else did as well, I didnt hear one moan or sour comment all day. i dont think anyone else could have organised the 1st speedball tournament better. Big well done to you and all the "exciles" for a great day, like i said whatever format (and my vote is 10 games / 2 days....or 12 games (Double tournament) 2 days) Ill hopefully be back!!

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Post by scs.sam »

glowworm wrote: B. Everyone who takes part gets a "certificate" (something printed off) Bigger prizes ?? no, the prizes you had where fine, its BB, its about fun.
Exellent point a certificate for everyone as taking part is in itself an acheivment. My suggestion for bigger prizes is due to my desire to have a trophy from which to quaff - coffee, wine, coke etc... whilst playing bloodbowl (mostly Andy). In fact I guess I could still do it with my certificate in a glass frame just more with biscuits and sandwichs. :)
glowworm wrote: D. The timers....They where great, but in a game where you have to look at what your opponent is doing, answer questions (what skill, interception, dodge rolls ect) you cannot concentrate on both the pitch & the timer, several time I heard, "sorry buddy 7 seconds left" or the like.
No-one IMHO deliberatly ommitted to tell thier opponent they had 30 seconds, 10 seconds left, in fact in one game I suggested my opponent finish an action (Blitz) even though the timer had run down as I was concentration on what they where doing and had not given any countdown. (He rolled a push :D )
Maybe 1 large countdown clock (using the projector??) and everyone get 5 mins pre game introductions/roster check/ skills/ pre match sequence & setup, when complete 1 player raises hand (or indicated that pitch is ready) once all pitches are ready master timer starts, calls at 1 minute 30 seconds & 10 second countdown, all games start, break for the half (restart as above) and finish together (simultaniously??) that would also increase the tension as all result would be handed in together....
Nice idea but not practical due to the need to pause for ball scatters, maybe someone has a vital phone call or toilet break that interupts the game, plus all the extra thinking time for the opposing coach if you roll a double skull twice or similar at the beginning of your turn.
One better solution might be to get every coach to bring a laptop then as long as every other coach does so someone like myself could knock up a very simple countdown program wich would announce the time at the relevant intervals (I think the voice of Majel Barrett). Of course it would be far better if ported to a smaller device such as an android phone but I write in object pascal language which is from the ark and probably wouldn't be suitable - perhaps a helpful visual basic guy could be found I mean we play BB for our social lives there must be loads of IT people amongst us.
glowworm wrote: E. Anyone using a bird of prey avatar/name should be penalised for air-bourne dice incidents but losing 30 seconds from each turn (you know who you are :lol: )
I concur and also to wear a special hat for the duration in case they throw a dice and injure the delicate noggins.

Extra thought for Al - why on earth do we have to wait a whole year to do it again it's like waiting 300days for season 3 of Game of Thrones ? Could you not do it bi-annually or quarterly ?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: A tourny idea...... Speed Bowl tm. And feedback.

Post by Darkson »

Can't really fault the tourney. Not sure I (or my rankings for that matter) could coe with 2 days/10 games, but seeing as I was half asleep anyway, guess I'm not the best to ask. ;)

On the clock, is there not a "speaking" clock/stopwatch app about? I'd assume the majority of coaches have access to a smart phone.
BUT although I have to admit to being one of those that regularly forgot to remind my opponents of the time, I didn't hear any complaints from any game.
Maybe cos we didn't have any powergamers? ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:On the clock, is there not a "speaking" clock/stopwatch app about? I'd assume the majority of coaches have access to a smart phone.
There were one or two people that used their phone's Space Hulk timer app as it has a warning noise at 10 seconds left, and I had no problem with that, but I cant rely on every coach having a smart phone and downloading an app. Hence why I bought timers. I could probably get talking timers, but they sound like they would be expensive (no pun intended and I am guessing as I haven't looked for talking clocks).

BUT although I have to admit to being one of those that regularly forgot to remind my opponents of the time, I didn't hear any complaints from any game.
Everyone was playing to the same rules so everyone was aware and, even if it was just subconsciously, they were watching their own clocks.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Surely the solution is to get people to keep an eye on their own timers.... in a timed format it shouldnt be down to your opponent to make you aware of the clock.

Out of interest, how fast did you force people to play and how quickly did they finish their games?

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
ceetee
Star Player
Star Player

Post by ceetee »

Hi chaps,

Great tourney Al, a really good idea that made for a very exciting tourney.
Surely the solution is to get people to keep an eye on their own timers.... in a timed format it shouldnt be down to your opponent to make you aware of the clock.
This is a good idea. I found that at the most crucial times of the game when players were as focussed as possible on the next turn, count downs did tend to be forgotten, which was frustrating on occasion. I'm also guilty of forgetting to start the timer on a few turns.
Out of interest, how fast did you force people to play and how quickly did they finish their games?
Strict 2 turn limit, most games done within 1 - 1 1/4 hours. High scoring games lasted a touch longer because of extra kickoffs.

ct
Rumble
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rumble »

Being a coach with speed of snail I wasn't sure how I would cope with this, but really enjoyed the tournie. I would recommend everyone to attend the next one.

There seemed to be no issues with the timers with the Coaches I played. Everyone applied common sense which made for good fun fast games.

An alternative for the timers is no one watches the clock, your opponent starts it and when you hear the beep your time is up.

One advantage to your opponent watching the clock is that they have less time to watch your moves so start their turn less prepared. Not sure if it would work in real life but maybe if your opponent forgets to remind you, you get an extra 30 seconds.

However the format worked for me on Saturday, Al did a sterling job so maybe no need to tamper with it.

The venue was also good and provided a pleasant environment to relax in during games.

Just like to point out that I am an Exile and this is no way a cheap attempt to improve my team's standings in the current league. :D