Progression vs. Resurrection

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Progression vs. Resurrection

Post by spubbbba »

The trouble with resurrection tournaments, particularly low TV ones is that you have a very limited amount of choice in most teams. If you know what race you will be facing you can pretty much predict the team’s make up and what skills were taken. It also means that the same power teams dominate the rankings as about half the races can’t really compete.

Players who regularly attend resurrection style tournaments make up a rather small section of the BB playerbase, so a little more variety might be a good thing.

I was thinking that maybe you could do a “comp” score in mid or high TV tournaments to try and encourage variety. I still think the best way would be to have a few core teams depending on playing style and players would get some extra TV to spend on skills and players to personalise it.

Maybe to steal shamelessly from Clarkson Goo something like “cool points”. So Orcs being seriously uncool would only get 5 points whilst Flings being sub-zero would get 20. Each cool point would let you take some of the boring skills such as block, guard, dodge etc, maybe with combo’s like blodge or MB/PO costing 2. You could gain points back by giving these players stat losses or niggles.

It would be a fair bit of work to create the initial restrictions but once it was done I think it could be an interesting option.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The trouble with resurrection tournaments, particularly low TV ones is that you have a very limited amount of choice in most teams. If you know what race you will be facing you can pretty much predict the team’s make up and what skills were taken. It also means that the same power teams dominate the rankings as about half the races can’t really compete.

Players who regularly attend resurrection style tournaments make up a rather small section of the BB playerbase, so a little more variety might be a good thing.

I was thinking that maybe you could do a “comp” score in mid or high TV tournaments to try and encourage variety. I still think the best way would be to have a few core teams depending on playing style and players would get some extra TV to spend on skills and players to personalise it.

Maybe to steal shamelessly from Clarkson Goo something like “cool points”. So Orcs being seriously uncool would only get 5 points whilst Flings being sub-zero would get 20. Each cool point would let you take some of the boring skills such as block, guard, dodge etc, maybe with combo’s like blodge or MB/PO costing 2. You could gain points back by giving these players stat losses or niggles.

It would be a fair bit of work to create the initial restrictions but once it was done I think it could be an interesting option.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

There isn't a lack of choice. If you want to use a team you use it.

And technically a front load skill creates a higher TV tournament.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

There are so many, highly varied, rulesets these days. I don't think the choice of teams is nearly so narrow as spubbb suggests. Every race is competitive somewhere, sometime if you discriminate your events.

Last year, at different events, we had a Sure Hands, (No Hands cancelled) Fanatic. Ogres only not winning an event on tie breakers. All doubles, tiers (in teams and skills, so odd things like Pass Block get a run out), Leaping Minotaurs (was that the year before....?), teams losing skills round on round with a free special play card, a ST7, Block Rat Ogre...

The envelope is pretty pushed, variety is pretty high, domestically. If it goes much further, all structure will fall over and it'll be anarchy (well, slight exaggeration)! I have some sympathy that mid TV BB is 'better' (to use the term as, at best, a lazy adjective); but things are where they are for good reason as well. I just don't think it's broken. But if it is, book an event that isn't, and they'll come, surely? ;)

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

My favourite ever tourney player was an Ag4 Ogre.
Format was 2 random players on each team get a rolled for skill after each game, skills may stack round to round. That format has thrown up three or four skill players before.
Hell, the year I made it to Pearlies it was something similar and I wound up with a Blodge Guard, Stand Firm, Dwarf Blocker. People LOVED him.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Pearlies last year I rolled a double on a Snot, gave him Dauntless and took out a Troll. Awesome!!

Res tourneys are great. Wouldn't change them for the world, for all the reasons already stated. Yes it means some teams are better at low TV than others, which is why a lot of rules packs get into tiers and what not. The aim of the game is to have fun (so I take exception to the "it isn't Bloodbowl" comment) and that means there are teams you might take just for a laugh knowing they won't be as competitive. Which also flies in the face of saying you'd "enjoy the challenge" of lining up game 2 with a bunch of journeymen. The challenge is there at a Res tourney for anyone who wants to take a team less effective at the rookie stage.

Also, I may be wrong maybe someone with more league experience than I (which is almost none) can jump in here but Res tourneys I'd say prompt more people to take stunties which is a whole bunch o' fun.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

This last comment is certainly true in my case as I goblins are my true love. Losing a troll is a massive blow to a goblin team, if one were to die in a progression tournament it could mean not having a chance in any of the remaining games. Being a ressurection event however, you'd likely lose the game but at least he'd be back next match.

Will be playing in the progression tourney ACC southampton later in the year, but looking into other races for this very reason.

Bob Bifford
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bob Bifford »

reason i dont like the sound of Resurrection is because some teams need to gain skills before they even have a chance while some teams are great from the start.

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

You do know that most tournaments allow your team to start with a bunch of skills that you choose, right? Moreso, a lot nowadays classify teams into tiers and give the 'weaker' teams either more/better access to skills or more money to build the team?

Hawk
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hawk »

Also just to note.. And maybe most importantly?

Most new coaches wouldn't bother trying tournaments if it was progression... I wouldnt want to spend £40 - £150+
to get battered in round one and spend the rest of the weekend getting drubbed..

Also, as most tourneys are random first round draws if for example... a orc or dwarf team gets drawn against flings then this could give that team such an advantage with spps compared to other teams.

I like to face a fellow coach and win or lose on skill and dice rather then how he/she done in the last round!

Cake Bowl league
Winner: Exiles V, ExeBowl 1 , Auldworld masters
Runner up: Crumb bowl 2, Vault Bowl 2013, Crumb bowl 3, Cakebowl 5, Bunker Bowl IV, AWM 11
greymurphy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by greymurphy42 »

Hawk wrote: I like to face a fellow coach and lose on skill and dice rather then how he/she done in the last round!
Fixed that for you ;)

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

greymurphy42 wrote:
Hawk wrote: I like to face a fellow coach and lose on skill and dice rather then how he/she done in the last round!
Fixed that for you ;)
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
spubbba wrote: The trouble with resurrection tournaments, particularly low TV ones is that you have a very limited amount of choice in most teams. If you know what race you will be facing you can pretty much predict the team’s make up and what skills were taken.
Anyone can take any team, lots of players are "doing the 24" so all teams are valid. as for "race" = "I can guess your skills", yes this is often true, much like league play, some skills are more valuable to certain teams and are almost (barring a double or stat increase) taken first.

I played in a few tournaments (all resurrection) with loads of different rule sets from the GT (NAF Championship) with its 1 skill pre game to Newquaybowl (Now Cakebowl) with "here's 6 skills and you can have another 6 before game 4" and ive seen all races represented at both...Ive played against Khemri with a masterchef and seen Slann, Vamps, Nurgle, and all the stunties!! As to builds Ive seen some odd ones, Undead with no Mummies,leaping blockless witch elves the already mentioned Khemri, (I believe this year he took a wizard instead) So to say all resurrection Tournaments are same old, same old I find a bit false.

Yes there are usually Undead, Wood Elves, Dwarves and CD's at tournaments but I find all these teams in my local league as well... I think a progression tournament may attract lots of High Av teams (Dwarf, Chaos, Orc spring to mind) as players would worry about getting trashed in round 1.

I like the way tournament play works, I find it slightly different to league play because its resurrection. I dont think Id go to a progression tournament unless:

A. it was very local

B. there was some sort of compensation for battered teams to give them at least a slim chance in the next game (Say a free star, maybe pre designed for the next match, not one from the book, a tournament one off so to speak)

Even then Id have to be convinced!!

Hawk
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hawk »

glowworm wrote:
greymurphy42 wrote:
Fixed that for you ;)
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol
. I dont think Id go to a resurrection tournament unless:
A. it was very local

???

Guessing you mean progression? :oops:

:orc: :orc: :orc:

Cake Bowl league
Winner: Exiles V, ExeBowl 1 , Auldworld masters
Runner up: Crumb bowl 2, Vault Bowl 2013, Crumb bowl 3, Cakebowl 5, Bunker Bowl IV, AWM 11