Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Championship Best Painted Team

Post by spubbbba »

Sandwich wrote:
spubbbba wrote:That being said you could split it into 3 categories, best painted, best converted and best theme. Best theme would encourage unique conversions and would be judged on the idea so would open it up to those who may not have the painting and converting skills. This would risk the painting comp being a bit complicated and taking up too much time though.
I like the idea of best theme, but would separate it completely from the painting... so people like me with v little painting ability would have another chance to pick up a trophy. Could go to the team with best team name/player names/background fluff, maybe add in skill choices too, to open up a new avenue of creativity for people.
Yeah that’s a better way to do it. I like the idea of including player and team names into the theme, even a cool hand drawn or computer created roster could be factored in as well.

I like the idea of “cool” (say a dozen) teams being chosen by the judges and then the coaches voting for best paint job, best conversion and best theme with maybe a best overall as well.

I’d like to avoid going down the CMON route, that site is very prone to trends and seems to favour particular painting styles that are in at a certain time. For a while it was NMM (which I’ve always liked on gold but hated on silver as it never looks like metal) and them metallic NMM, the same with lighting effects or adding 1 colour to every colour you mix.

It is a difficult balancing act as to the layman a cool conversion with a good paintjob will look better than a standard model with a technically amazing if unoriginal paint job. As someone who can’t sing I’m easily impressed so wouldn’t easily tell the difference between an x-factor round 2 reject and someone with a fantastic voice.
But I’d want to avoid going down the Turner prize where a small clique decides what the “in BB style” is this year. We have enough cliques in this game as it is. ;)

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

I think there were a couple of problems with the best team voting in my view - the mechanism of selection (viewing teams while in play) and the display of the shortlisted teams.

I think it would have been fairly simple after the first round to have asked all the players to set up their teams over lunch to allow the judges to walk around at leisure and see the teams plus any display bases. My buddy (Sigismund) built a fantastic cave display base for his team, and bar the first morning while everyone was arriving it spent much of the weekend under a table as there was no real opportunity to set up and let everyone take a good look.

The display of the shortlisted teams was really down to position and lighting issues, in fairness this was probably realised about the time everyone started voting, at which point it was probably too late to change.

As for the finalists themselves, my view was that some of them certainly deserved to be there, and there was some exceptional painting on show. However it was frustrating just how many of the teams were *just* well painted stock models, with no conversions in sight. Perhaps "Best Painted" should actually be "Best Team"?

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

axiom wrote:I think it would have been fairly simple after the first round to have asked all the players to set up their teams over lunch to allow the judges to walk around at leisure and see the teams plus any display bases.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can tell it was your first BB tourney. I don't know if it's a gamer thing or a BB thing, but tell coaches to do one thing, and more than half of them will do the exact opposite! We tried that at my tourney a coupke of years agl, and managed to get pics of only 12 of the 36 teams there, and 5 of them were from my own club!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
axiom

Post by axiom »

Darkson wrote:
axiom wrote:I think it would have been fairly simple after the first round to have asked all the players to set up their teams over lunch to allow the judges to walk around at leisure and see the teams plus any display bases.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can tell it was your first BB tourney. I don't know if it's a gamer thing or a BB thing, but tell coaches to do one thing, and more than half of them will do the exact opposite! We tried that at my tourney a coupke of years agl, and managed to get pics of only 12 of the 36 teams there, and 5 of them were from my own club!
Must be a BB thing then ;) My suggested system has been in use at every 40k tournament I've been to

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
Blocknroll
I'm Alan Partridge

Post by Blocknroll »

Nazgob is waiting on some pics from me, he's going to be disappointed when he gets them - as has been previosuly mentioned the lighting where they were set up was dreadful.
There's definitely some good ideas from people in this thread, and I'm sure they will be acted upon for next year.
As someone who really isn;t up to standard with my own painting I like to think I can still tell a well painted team when I see one, but can see the "get pro judges in" view too. Also, one of my opponent's teams was superb. Not shortlisted. So yeah some did slip through the net.
Good discuison though, keep the positive ideas for next time coming.

"People we have been given a gift, we have been given a role and that role's name is Blocknroll" - Nuffle Gave Blocknroll To You
2009-2022
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

I didn't know I'd been shortlisted with one of the teams I was lending someone until I saw my team on the end of the table! The only picture I've seen of it online didn't do it any justice to be fair, lighting didn't really show it off that well. Happy to pop a picture on if anyone wants to see them, although I have posted them on here before (My converted Lizardman team).

Still want to see pics as I didn't really get a chance on the day, too crowded.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

@Thadrin

I'm sure that I heard Lunchmoney say it was the Wood Elf team if that helps (it didn't help me :) )

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Fact: i dont paint so never vote for best painted, Im not really in a position to judge whats excellent and whats just amazing!! however....

I got to quite a few mixed (big & Small) UK tournaments and the arguements on this thread rage at them all, if you ask coaches to vote, some (most?) dont bother, myself as case in point, others canvass support for thier team or mates team ( this works better at the smaller tournaments)

Send in photo's? so now its a "who's got the best camera/photography skill" competition? Not ideal

Everyone gets entered? great if you have 16-20 coaches, great.....not so good with 180+

Coaches enter thier teams? some painters are better than they think, other not so....

Secret judging? My favourite.... let the TFF/NAF conspiracy theory roll on, night of the black shirts and Lycos's secret cabal!! (only joking Dave, no need to send the "boys" round)

Maybe getting independant judges in is the way forward..."Hey, fancy giving up your weekend (or half of it at least) to judge a Bloodbowl painting competition.....Yes, thats right, Bloodbowl....., its an old GW game, sure you've heard of it....No? its like...Ok, forget that, just come and look at some really small Warhammer armies Ok......? Great!! see you Saturday!!"

It seemed pretty fair to me (the selection process) I saw the judges (Ref's whatever) moving around looking at teams and talking to coaches, all things considered they seemed quite impartial (there was'nt 6 Exciles teams entered was there? :wink: )

The area they where set up in was not ideal, but without massive disruption and furniture removal did seem the obvious place, coaches had to pass it on the way to the bar.

Ive been to at least 2 large UK tournaments where Ive been told which team would win best painted before the selection process took place, at one the choice was so obvious that even I could see which would win, at the other not so, but when i asked i was told "he always wins so thats that"

Its always going to provoke debate, I would like to see more catagories, like best theme'd team those pirates where awesome!! the super hero gobbo's also but Im not allowed to say that as he's my mate :wink:

Overall, I think it was as fair as possible, there will always be someone who's opinion differs, or who knows better (even if they where not actually there) Let them step forward and run the painting competition next year I say, lets see how it should be done!! step up or shut up!!

Sorry if offend, none intended, but this just rambles on and on each year with no solution.

Buggrit

Post by Buggrit »

Thanks for the positive words about my theme Glow :-) I'll get them all painted up properly and bring them back next year!! (maybe even with a leaping chainsaw of doom!!)

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Loki wrote:@Thadrin

I'm sure that I heard Lunchmoney say it was the Wood Elf team if that helps (it didn't help me :) )

There were three Elf teams iirc...

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Thadrin wrote:
Loki wrote:@Thadrin

There were three Elf teams iirc...
azzroag posted a link to some pics he took in the general NAF GT thread. You can see them here.

There are 3 photos of teams that I assume were up for best painted. A great looking Khemri display base but sadly no sign of the actual team, a very blurry pic of a pirate team complete with ship and a High Elf team converted from a variety of GW plastics. The text is in French but chrome translate seems to indicate that was the winning team.

Sadly the lighting is poor so I can’t tell the quality of the the paint job. It looks good but I need a good pic to tell the standard of the blending. The conversions look really good and interesting and most importantly for me they actually look like a team of bloodbowl players.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Bump - is there a plan for this year?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

sann0638 wrote:Bump - is there a plan for this year?
Yes, no models painted blue are eligible ....... :D

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Aw, and I was so in with a chance too! :lol:

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Gloworm, there is a name for that disease... Azurochroma Disturbia. It's normally associated with a paranoid fear of Smurfs :lol:

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.