No Spiky Open this year (and possibly going forward)

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

No Spiky Open this year (and possibly going forward)

Post by Darkson »

Ace2k00 wrote:No Spiky open this year buddy, couldn't justify the cost of the venue to the amount of people who attended, we made a huge loss.. sorry but i think that will be the end of the open..
Darkson wrote:Sorry to hear that Dave.

If I can be brutally honest, I think part of the problem was lack of communication and timescale. I don't know the in's and out's of the Spiky club, but last year there was approx 2 months notice for the tournament, and the only person that replied on the TFF thread was yourself, and that wasn't often (I know you don't use TFF much). I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. As a counterpoint, I got a thread up for ARBBL '13 a couple of days after the '12 event. Although I couldn't give exact dates, I could at least get it on people's radar.

Ah well, I guess all good things come to an end.
Do you mind if I make a post to that effect on TFF, or would you rather do it? I ask, because I know a few people have mentioned it recently.
please feel free to put up a post, your right on the communication, and timescale front it was all left for me to sort out, and with the shop and all don't have that much time to dedicate to it. if things change at the club we might put it back on at some point.
If it is the last Spiky Open, I'd like to thank Dave for the years he ran it. Ok, sometimes the organisation wasn't the best, but I always enjoyed myself, it was the tournament that got myself (and the other ARBBL lads) into tourney-going, and what made me decide to run the ARBBL Open.

Dave, it's all your fault! :wink:

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: No Spiky Open this year (and possibly going forward)

Post by lunchmoney »

I enjoyed the Spikey I went to in 2010, and I was looking forward to going this year. Oh well, I'm sure another will pop up to take its place in the calender.

last year was World Cup year and it clashed a little. Maybe that was why attendance was low?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:Oh well, I'm sure another will pop up to take its place in the calender.
I hope so. I'd offer to step up, but don't think I have the spare time in October (or use of the hall for that matter).

last year was World Cup year and it clashed a little. Maybe that was why attendance was low?
Probably didn't help either - I know it affected the attendance for the first WC.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Eski
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Eski »

Shame to hear.. my first major tournament in 2010 I think.. large ground from Vanguard and everything..

Wish them well and hope something comes up in the near future

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk
Look Up Bristol Vanguards Gert Bowl Tournment near end of July 2012
"MB and Piling On! Rerolls need not apply!"
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Sad to hear, the tournament that got me back into Blood Bowl some ten years ago, Thanks for everything Dave.