Going to first Tourney

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Going to first Tourney

Post by DixonCider »

what should I be aware of? what can I expect from players? typically what is the level of competition?

Reason: ''
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Going to first Tourney

Post by nazgob »

Which one are you attending?

Generally (almost entirely), you should find the atmosphere to be fun and welcoming. Blood bowl tournaments tend to be relaxed affairs, with most people looking for a good time.

That said, they are often highly competitive at the same time. But generally, even when you're being beaten into the ground, your opponent will be nice to you.

You'll have a blast!

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Spike in BC

http://spiketournament.com/

Blood Bowl seems much less focused on playing to win and more focused on everyone having fun. I am sure that isn't true of every player, but that has been my experience so far.

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Good luck, I think tournaments are the best part of Bloodbowl, would be surprised if you didn't enjoy your first one.

After playing over fifty now, I can still remember vividly my first tournament.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

nazgob wrote:Which one are you attending?

Generally (almost entirely), you should find the atmosphere to be fun and welcoming. Blood bowl tournaments tend to be relaxed affairs, with most people looking for a good time.

That said, they are often highly competitive at the same time. But generally, even when you're being beaten into the ground, your opponent will be nice to you.

You'll have a blast!
I wholly agree with this summing up. There are some coaches who go just to enjoy themselves and maybe aim for a single prize like most casualties or Best Painted but there will also be folks who are trying their best to win, they are challenging themselves to be the best they can be.

I tend to fall into the first camp, An Ogre team with 4 Piling On players for example.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a ball (mind the pun). :D

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Ultimately, no matter how good or bad you think you are, I can almost guarantee that there will be at least one person there who is better than you and at least one person who is worse than you. The swiss matchup system means that by day two you tend to be playing people of your own ability, so if you spend all day smashing chumps expect the second day to be harder, and if you spend all day one getting blown off the pitch then don't worry as day two should give you far more even games.

At the end of the day you'll enjoy it, can almost guarantee that too. The Bloodbowl crowd and game in general is so much more relaxed. You can't win by simply bringing broken armies to a tourney, there's no 'X always beats Y' to it, and because the rules are fairly straightforward and unambiguous you don't get into arguements with your opponents about anything.

Enjoy yourself!

Bob Bifford
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bob Bifford »

I'm also attending my first tournament on Saturday The ACC, and I'm so pumped up for it and excited :)

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Bob Bifford wrote:I'm also attending my first tournament on Saturday The ACC, and I'm so pumped up for it and excited :)
awesome :)

Good luck to you :)

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

DixonCider wrote:
Bob Bifford wrote:I'm also attending my first tournament on Saturday The ACC, and I'm so pumped up for it and excited :)

Could you both post how you got on and the good / not so good bits of the experience.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I'll look after Bob, Mr Glow, and make sure to take him under your collective wing. 8)

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

glowworm wrote:
DixonCider wrote:

Could you both post how you got on and the good / not so good bits of the experience.

Absolutely. I will be tweeting the event, not during games, as I go with photos

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

nazgob wrote:I'll look after Bob, Mr Glow, and make sure to take him under your collective wing. 8)
My Glow's wings may have been clipped after three snake eyes in one game last night. But he'll be back!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

DixonCider wrote: Absolutely. I will be tweeting the event, not during games, as I go with photos
Who are you on Twitter? #bloodbowl tends to get a decent audience!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

sann0638 wrote:
DixonCider wrote: Absolutely. I will be tweeting the event, not during games, as I go with photos
Who are you on Twitter? #bloodbowl tends to get a decent audience!
@EbyJames

Edit: here is the league page if anyone wants to see the league I am currently in. http://bbloc.calgarygamers.net/

I have the DixonCider Daemons, and my kids have The Bull-dogs and Brandons high elves

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Since we are discussing tourneys, does anyone have some stories from their first tourneys?