Penalty for playing beyond time limit.

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Re: Penalty for playing beyond time limit.

Post by SillySod »

Joemanji wrote:Also, having sat next to a Sillysod / Polarbear game where they stopped playing and just chatted for 20 mins - tell the fools to hurry up! :wink:
I really enjoyed that game.

Then I played some dolt who opened with "I'm not in the mood to play this game" :)

Reason: ''
Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

You were lucky - I'm usually a lot ruder than that. :P

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

I liked the system used at the World Cup 2011 where they passed out Chess clocks to slower games and then played music so that you knew that you needed to hurry up and finish your match if you were still playing.

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

My music system was to quiet (tried it this year), and no chess clocks.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Redman71
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Redman71 »

Darkson wrote:My music system was to quiet (tried it this year), and no chess clocks.
Sadly,

There is no real choice in tourney play. Everyone needs to be put on a timer.

You will have a game or more go into overtime otherwise. If you don't have chess clocks use a cell phone timer.

Make Blood... not Bowl
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Redman71 wrote:There is no real choice in tourney play. Everyone needs to be put on a timer.
Well, I disagree with that - the vast majority of tourney games I've seen finish well inside the time limit, even games between top players.
In my experience, there are just a few "slow" players, that need to be chivvied along a bit (worse when they get drawn against each other!).

I've only ever been called time on 1 game - it was against a newer player that took his time with his turns. I didn't mind, as I was 2-0 up, and he wasn't going anywhere.
At the World Cup, I did get the timer against me (and my opponent) once, but that was because we were having (to much!) of a laugh, and didn't realise the time until Draco plonked a chess clock next to me (with a lot of malnevolent glee iirc :wink: ). We still finished before the time ran out.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Redman is just spoiled - Seattle/Vancouver tourneys all have plenty of chess clocks floating around because both of our leagues have invested hundreds of dollars in them. Between Thunderbowl and Rat City we've got 50 or so DGT Easytimer Chess Clocks (most of which are owned by the leagues, not individuals). So it's easy for us to say: just put timers on every table.

Most other tournaments don't have that kind of infrastructure in place from my experience.

With timers not available, I'd say a projector with a clock on it is the next best option (Chaos Cup did this). If that's not available - a loud TO that calls out the time left at 1 hour, 30 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins, 5 mins, etc. will work. Easiest way to do this is set the alarm on your phone to go off as a reminder (I do this even with timers at the tables, it's just good practice).

After time is up, as long as I've kept the group informed on how much time is left regularly, I'm pretty ruthless about calling games.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA