Source code to Score! available

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Source code to Score! available

Post by Yavatol »

Hi guys, it's been I while since I was here last. I am actually pleasantly surprised my login still exists. In any case, once so every often I get requests for extra features in Score! However, since I really haven't got the time to make them I thought I make the original source code available to the community, in case any coder out there wants to make those changes or adopt the program themselves.

You'll find it here: http://www.jorisdormans.nl/res/score_source_code.zip

Fair word of warning: I started this project in 2004 programming it in Delphi. So the coding standards aren't up to par with what you might expect from a coder today. It's a nice blend of imperative and object oriented styles with little regard for clever data structures. I always have been in the habit of writing code and comments (few as there are) in English, so at least there is no translation from Dutch involved.

Should anyone pick this up: best of luck with it. And please don't judge me by code I wrote eight years ago :) I think any coding sin should be automatically forgiven after five years, shouldn't it?

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Source code to Score! available

Post by sann0638 »

Thanks for such a great programme - without it I think a lot of BB tournaments simply wouldn't have taken place. Perhaps this would be a good place for people to suggest extra bits they would like in case someone with the skills does pick it up? I think one thing I struggled with was having bonus points each round that were not cas or td based, though I could be wrong about this.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sann0638 wrote:Thanks for such a great programme - without it I think a lot of BB tournaments simply wouldn't have taken place.
+1

I'd also like to thank Joris for the help he gave me in sorting out my scoring system, when I couldn't work out how to implement it, and for the assistance when I needed to add the 3 "new" races when they got their first official NAF showing at the ARBBL.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

@ Yavatol - your baby is truly superb (proof that fancy code isn't needed to make a fancy product). And I look forwards to nosing through some of your logic :-)

@ Sann - Score! handles non-TD/CAS bonus points (eg bonus for completed Long Bomb). WB has been using that for years. Maybe set up a Score! User Group to share ideas? (and have you read the ReadMe file?)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Podfrey wrote: @ Sann - Score! handles non-TD/CAS bonus points (eg bonus for completed Long Bomb). WB has been using that for years. Maybe set up a Score! User Group to share ideas? (and have you read the ReadMe file?)
I have, in depth! I can see how to add bonus points to the front page, and did bonus points by adding to these manually each round, but couldn't see how to add a new column to each round. Is this possible?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

I'll PM you tomorrow when I'm at home....

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

OK, this may not be the best way of doing this, but if something's worth doing it's worth doing badly, I always say.

I've made a wiki that should be helpful (eventually) to Score users. I've started a new thread with a more relevant title: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 03#p677603

Cheers,

Mike

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

How much interest would there be in seeing an iOS tournament management program, like Score?

Milo

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

I'd been thinking a web-based system would be useful - assuming the venue has internet access then results nd fixtures could be updated from any device and viewed by all.
It's on my list of 'hypothetical things to do when too much free time becomes a serious problem.' :wink:

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Well, a web based system should really be set up as part of the NAF website itself. I do think there are some advantages to an iOS system, though, since it wouldn't strictly require a internet connection, but could make use of one where available.

Milo

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Ios?

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

iOS is the operating system that iPads and iPhonrs run on. I'm suggesting a tournament tracking/posting iPad app.

Milo

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Milo wrote:iOS is the operating system that iPads and iPhonrs run on. I'm suggesting a tournament tracking/posting iPad app.
Apple stuff. If any one does this, please bear in mind the massive amount of people that don't use Apple operating systems.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

I understand that there are a lot of non-Apple users out there, but I only have Apple devices myself, and I can't make any promises about success at that, much less Android too. But me making an iOS app won't prevent anyone from using Score.

Milo

robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

Milo make this app!

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!