Tournament Code of Conduct

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Tournament Code of Conduct

Post by Jip »

Would Blood Bowl tournaments benefit from a code of conduct, similar to those of the new Age of Sigmar rulebook (pictured), and ITC events (link below) for 40k?

The ITC one is a bit of a word wall, but it’s essentially something tournament organisers can use to ensure there is cause and effect when it comes to players following the rules and spirit of the game.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic

The ITC rules even go so far as to implement points removal and, in extreme cases, complete removal from their system altogether (sort of similar to losing all NAF rankings, I s’pose).

As a NAF-ranked Tournament Organiser, I’ve had the occasional hiccup with players in the past that might have benefitted from something like the ITC to be used as a more formal consequence, but just interested in others’ perceptions.

7BA4CEF3-789E-40AC-9542-95D102545AA7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Tournament Code of Conduct

Post by lunchmoney »

I've always thought of those things as unwritten rules anyway.
Could it all be summed up as "Don't be a dick"?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Onyersix
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Onyersix »

I assumed we already had one.

As a former X-Wing and Imperial Assault player, there is a very strict code of conduct in that community, which goes so far as to set levels of expectations for rules knowledge, which I guess also aims to prevent involving the TO unnecessarily.

They basically have a tier system saying that at a casual level, your expected to know the basics.
At a regional level, you're expected to have all materials (first named player is required to provide the pitch and templates) and a good knowledge of the rules.
At National level (or higher) you are required to have full knowledge of the rules, and no proxy units.

I know GW also has a ruling about 3d printed/non-official units, though I doubt you'd see it enforced. That being said, when I turn up to a game and my opponent has some Chibi penguins representing a BB race, I would expect to end up constantly asking what figure each one represents, as they are clearly not the figures they are claiming to be.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

lunchmoney wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:30 am I've always thought of those things as unwritten rules anyway.
Could it all be summed up as "Don't be a dick"?
It could, and often is. This empowers TOs to take action if the rules are being flouted though, which is what I'm working towards. It's not something I'd feel confident about suggesting to the NAF at the moment, as there seems to be some struggles behind the scenes with regards to tournament organisation across the board. Definitely not prying, but some noise from the TD or President about the impact of that would be enlightening.
Onyersix wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 am I know GW also has a ruling about 3d printed/non-official units, though I doubt you'd see it enforced. That being said, when I turn up to a game and my opponent has some Chibi penguins representing a BB race, I would expect to end up constantly asking what figure each one represents, as they are clearly not the figures they are claiming to be.
You'll see that rule enforced at games in Warhammer World and GW stores (I've been on the receiving end of it at Warhammer World, for sure!).

I know the Chibi teams you're on about, and we've had a couple of them (Norse and Necromantic) in our league, haven't we. I just asked the coaches to mark players that I wasn't 100% about and didn't have much of an issue. With that said, I've also played a game against an Goblin coach using a Snow Troll as a Troll and an Orc Thrower as Bomber Dribblesnot, which was confusing and difficult!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Onyersix
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Onyersix »

I didn't really have that much difficulty with the team I refer to, and am about to receive my Cereal Killers team which is clearly not Khorne (or any other race), but I doubt I would enter them into any competition.

If it helps, I'll dig out the FFG code of conduct for reference and send it across to you. I won't be offended if you do nothing with it!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Jip wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm This empowers TOs to take action if the rules are being flouted though, which is what I'm working towards.
TOs can already do this so, a TOs word is final in their event. A word with the player, and if they continue to flout the TO can take action, up to and including expulsion.
Thankfully I never had to as a TO, though I did have to have a quiet word a couple of times when I reffed for GW at the GT.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.