Keeping tournaments interesting for mid-table players

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Long_Bomb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Long_Bomb »

It has been far too long since I have been to a tournament (nearly two years) but I have noticed that by day two of most tournaments those at the top are still fighting furiously and those at the bottom are trying to avoid (in most cases) the wooden spoon. In fact a lot of the tournaments I've been to have had special competitions for the bottom tables such as Death Bowl/Dungeon Bowl to keep the interest. However, the players firmly in the middle of the table do seem to feel a little less focused with nothing to aim for beyond winning matches and improving their NAF rating.

If I remember correctly when Jervis organised the very first tournament he had three matches followed by quarter finals, semis and finals for the last three games for four different competitions. Your performance on the first day dictated where you qualified for the second day. Although I recognise there are a lot of problems with this format I did like the idea of everyone having something to play for by day two.

What would you think to a tournament where you were seeded based on your performance in the first four games and then depending on where you came competed in a different competition. The top four would play a semi final and final for the main trophy, the rest of the top half of the players could compete for another cup, those at the bottom of the table play for a plate and the bottom four play in some crazy bottom table event. The idea would be that everyone would still have something to focus on right up until the final game.

I do realise there are a few strange people that just play for "fun" and don't care about trying to win things but what would you sat to a tournament with more of a focus on offering something to those in the middle ground?

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I think the rugby world sevens holds events on that basis; at leadt, they do here in wellington.

Not a bad idea, though you'd want to tailor it to numbers; if the top four after three games played SF&F, they would total only 5 games, whereas if "the rest of the top half" was 9 coaches their run in would be nuts.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Keeping tournaments interesting for mid-table players

Post by Sandwich »

Most tournaments (certainly all the ones I've been to) have awards for Most Touchdowns and Most Casualties, so you can always aim for these.

Another thing I've seen is for Best Comeback / Best Day 2 awards, where the coach who rises the most on day 2, or the best coach from day 2 (basically ignoring day 1 results) gets a little trophy.

Finally, if you finish day 1 with a 1-1-1 record, you can always aim for a 4-1-1 - a record which has twice got me 3rd place and only a handful of bonus points off top spot...

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

As a mid to bottom table player, while I do like to try and win if get great enjoyment from going for the most Cas prize

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

We don't allow a coach to win more than one (good) award, so normally most TDs/Cas is to fight for, even if you're not in the top 2.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.