NAF discount

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

NAF discount

Post by Darkson »

During the Early Bird discussion, the idea of early payment discount was mentioned, and a few people didn't like that, based on individual circumstances etc.

Does that apply to given NAF members a discount? I'm not talking about the ones where the price gives NAF membership (which is a different kettle of fish), I mean the ones where NAF coaches pay x, and non-NAF pay x+y. I run the ARBBL like that, and have always just seen it as a perk of membership, but is this something we should be doing?

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Re: NAF discount

Post by SillySod »

I never understood that system. Why would you charge non-members more?

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I charge the £5 extra to non NAF members that want to attend Crumb, then I pay that to the NAF and give the individuals the dice they said they would prefer on the day. Not had any complaints and signed up about 15 new members in 2 years IIRc. If they don't want to join that's cool, I give that option, I also explain that block dice usual raise more than £5 a set on online auction sites if they really don't want them....

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Like Darkson I have always looked on this as a perk of NAF membership. Don't see anything wrong with that, I think NAF membership needs positives like this. But if I remember right from the last NAF elections it does seem to be UK thing rather than global.

Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

My concern was more related to what a tournament gets back from this discount.

I mean, I rule a tournament along 7 years, and always have a cheaper registration to NAF members. Hence, besides the NAF Trophy there is not sensitive improvement in "promote NAF attendance" to the tournament. Only in the first edition I got two GW teams, and this was a fair return for the NAF promotion I guess.

Players would have the rankings, but the impact for the tournament is minimal, while from the other side tournament is strongly promoting NAF membership (usually, NAF discount of 2 tournaments covers NAF fee).

Here in Spain if you organize a BB tournament, and have 30 players, mostly 20 of them are NAF. Usual discount is around 5€, so you're in fact receiving 100€ less to invest in prizes.

Or the other way round, you could in turn reduce non-NAF member fee for 5€, in order to encourage people that usually play less tournaments to attend.

I am not talking about receive the precise cost of NAF discounts in return, but maybe stronger support from NAF (NAF merchandising for example: cups, shirts, dice...) would be the fair situation.

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

Follow us also in Facebook...
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Australia has worked out a sort of "buy back" campaign with the NAF, right? I don't remember the details, but they have something similar to what Pako is talking about.

Virral
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Virral »

Yes our naf fee is $15 of which $5 goes to the tournament where people signed up.

I think there is an important difference between a discount for NAF members and a compulsory sign up fee for non members.

Here in Aus an extra $15 on the ticket price would be a bridge too far I think

Eucalyptus Bowl - Australia's Biggest and Best Blood Bowl Event
Join us in 2014 - 5th and 6th of July, Burwood RSL in Sydney

Speaking of Euc Bowl, I've got some stuff from this years event available for sale!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Just to point out, in the OP I specifically mentioned this wasn't about compulsory NAF joining (as your the second person to comment on it). That could probably do with a thread of its own. I'm talking about the discount for NAF membership (or price increase for non-NAF if you want to look at it that way).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.