"Gaming Points"

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

"Gaming Points"

Post by sann0638 »

Hi all,

I've been mulling over tie-break systems in my head, as to which one best rewards both exceptional performance by both bash and dash teams. Something like awarding more points for TDs or Casualties depending on which is harder to get, maybe? Could be a straight multiplier, or maybe they are worth the same? Maybe reward TDs by a bash team more, and Cas on a dash team more? As you can tell, I haven't got very far...

Thoughts?

Mike

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "Gaming Points"

Post by neverworking »

For a league i am partial to doing a "best of three" tie breaker from the following:

TDs scored
TDs allowed
Cas inflicted

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

If it can be worked strength of the opposition would be the way to go perhaps, add up where they finish, lowest total wins?

I think td and cas often get included in the score anyway.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yeah, that's a variant of strength of schedule, which I think is pretty good.

As a side note, any idea if strength of schedule works in a round robin? Probably not, but haven't done the maths.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Strength of schedule makes no sense in a round robin format. Everyone has the same schedule.

I'd be interested in a tiebreak system that only looks at losses. Maybe using TD difference of your losses as a tiebreaker? That way you wouldn't be rewarded for stomping someone 7-0 but you would get recognition for holding a loss to 1-2.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Nice idea. We are going to trial ELO as a tie-breaker, but there's a nagging voice in the back of my head that suggests this is a bit odd.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

neverworking wrote:For a league i am partial to doing a "best of three" tie breaker from the following:

TDs scored
TDs allowed
Cas inflicted
agreed, if no winner at this point it should be settled by coleslaw wrestling as with all things in life

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

My vote: knife fight...

I think SoS can work in a league for tie breakers, if I lost to the guy who comes 4th but you lost to the guy who came last then my lost is less detrimental....I think that's what I'm trying to say. Also means that the guys a the lower reaches of the league ( usually me) can have an impact on the final results....

.....or win every game, then no need for a tie breaker......simples.... :D

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I think a system similar to what they use for Magic the Gathering tournaments would be the best way to do things tbh. Your score is based on your results and also the results of the players you played. If you played three opponents which each lost four games and another player played three opponents which each won all of their other games you can tell who had the "toughest" matches (in theory).

Using this system will work for small tournaments. In Magic, however, sometimes you have tournaments with 100's or 1000's of players so eight plus rounds are sometimes needed and this is not possible in BB.

As such we also need a tie break system in conjunction with the above.

Currently, most tie break systems using TD's and CAS (should this only be via block?) are weighted towards the TD side. I think this hurts the bash teams to some degree.

Would there be a way each coach to be able to choose a primary and secondary tie breaker?

Cheers,
Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I have been thinking more about tie breaking structures for Swiss BB tournaments. I think assigning raw points to TD’s and Casualties is perhaps not the best way to do things. Different teams value different routes to victory.

Here is what I would do:

1. Most total Tournament Points is the first tie-breaker: (assuming 60 win, 30 tie, 10 loss)
2. If only two players have equal Tournament points check to see if they played. If one of them won the match they win the tournament.
3. If the result in step 2 was tied, or more than 2 players have equal tournament points go to the Rank Tie-Breaker.
4. Rank Tie Breaker calculates scores in two areas: TD’s For – TD’s Against and CAS For – CAS Against. Separate Rankings are given for both areas. These individual rankings are then totaled.
a. This is an easy function to use within excel or other spreadsheets.
5. The Player with the best totaled rank in Step 4 wins.

I have a spreadsheet which can give a better visual on this. If anyone wants me to email them a copy of it just PM me.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

PTS CAS+ CAS- CAS D TD+ TD- TD D CAS Rank TD Rank
Highest Best Highest Best
Team A 270 2 2 0 7 4 3 5 7
Team B 270 3 4 -1 8 5 3 3 7
Team C 200 7 6 1 3 6 -3 7 3
Team D 200 5 9 -4 5 7 -2 1 4
Team E 160 6 1 5 6 3 3 10 7
Team F 110 4 5 -1 7 1 6 3 10
Team G 150 2 2 0 4 8 -4 5 1
Team H 150 8 7 1 3 4 -1 7 5
Team I 100 5 8 -3 2 6 -4 2 1
Team J 100 10 8 2 3 4 -1 9 5
52 52 48 48

CAS and TD Secondary Rank
Highest Best Lowest Best
Team A 12 4
Team B 10 6
Team C 10 6
Team D 5 9
Team E 17 1
Team F 13 3
Team G 6 8
Team H 12 4
Team I 3 10
Team J 14 2

Team A and B have the most tournament points at 270. Let's assume they didn't play a match vs each other or they tied. Team A has a secondary rank of 4 and Team B has a secondary rank of 6. A lower secondary rank is best so Team A wins the tournament.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Which team is best painted!

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

sann0638 wrote:Yeah, that's a variant of strength of schedule, which I think is pretty good.

As a side note, any idea if strength of schedule works in a round robin? Probably not, but haven't done the maths.
An SoS variant I'm considering is sum of opponent's final points, excluding to the top and bottom. This should help mitigate any advantage/disadvantage from the random draw in round one. However, it does mean that it can't be used for affecting the draw until after three games.