Players joining on a Sunday

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Players joining on a Sunday

Post by sann0638 »

This came up at Thrud, where we had various players for the Sunday only, and it's happened a lot before (refs stepping in, for example). How do you decide who they play? If they start on 0 points, this is unfair on those coaches who have had a bad first day, who by now should be getting some easier matches. In the middle seems most sensible, but then we couldn't figure out how to do this on Score, where you would ideally give them average points from Day 1.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Re: Players joining on a Sunday

Post by Glowworm »

Make them play each other if there is an even number.......

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Similarly, how did score deal with strength of schedule for people playing only day 1 - did it factor anything in? (I mainly ask as I placed last of the coaches on 12 points and beaten one opponent who was day 1 only).

For coaches joining in day 2, there must be something you can extrapolate from coach NAF rankings to points from the tournament's scoring system. No idea how to implement it in score though.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

mawph wrote:Similarly, how did score deal with strength of schedule for people playing only day 1 - did it factor anything in? (I mainly ask as I placed last of the coaches on 12 points and beaten one opponent who was day 1 only).

For coaches joining in day 2, there must be something you can extrapolate from coach NAF rankings to points from the tournament's scoring system. No idea how to implement it in score though.
I think it just totals points of all your opponents, so yes, playing someone who played day 1 only would mess you up.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Bah, my round 5 opponent played dockbowl too, so that's more points I missed out on ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

If one of the tiebreaker is the total points of the opponent, having players on satursday (or sunday) only could be an issue...

For those joining on sunday, we know "average" level of coachs (most of the time it's local coach, and organizers know them), so we could find them "logic" opponent.
In worth case, let the sunday coachs play together in first rounds (it would offer time to the organizer to see what would be best pairings next...)

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Personally, I don't see a great deal of unfairness to put them in at the bottom of the table and let Score do it's job.

(Tell me the other applicable place in blood bowl where bad luck on occasion 1 justifies better fortune on occasion 2.)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:(Tell me the other applicable place in blood bowl where bad luck on occasion 1 justifies better fortune on occasion 2.)
If you concede a TD, you get the ball?

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

sann0638 wrote:
RoterSternHochdahl wrote:(Tell me the other applicable place in blood bowl where bad luck on occasion 1 justifies better fortune on occasion 2.)
If you concede a TD, you get the ball?
I have always understood that as another step towards complete failure ;)