Anyone up for reviving Dragonbowl?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

silverpie
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone up for reviving Dragonbowl?

Post by silverpie »

For those who don't live in the South (which I notice is a huge void area on the tournament map), Dragonbowl is a tournament they used to play every year at Dragon*Con, the big SF/fantasy/comics/etc. convention on Labor Day weekend in Atlanta.

First up, is it too close (two weekends away) to even think about (in which case I'd be thinking of 2015 instead)?

If it does happen, I'm thinking four rounds of Swiss on Sunday morning/afternoon, then a final four on Monday morning.

Reason: ''
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: Anyone up for reviving Dragonbowl?

Post by daloonieshaman »

A final 4 playoff on Monday with the rest of the folks playing a game 5 & 6 for prosperity purposes?

I may be interested in making it to Atlanta
there is the fee for the convention, yes?
what is the fee this year and how much are they charging for rooms this year (yes I know you are thinking about next year but it gives us a referance point)

The West Coast Quake, January 17th-18th Pasadena CA, would be glad to sponsor Dragonbowl with some swag

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
silverpie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by silverpie »

The convention membership is $150 for all four days; a two-day for Sunday and Monday is $60. It is customary to charge $3 per event, based on which you get dealer-room credit for prizes. (I don't notice any of the BB mini-makers on the dealer list, but Chessex always shows up with huge varieties of dice, including some very pretty blocking dice.)

At the moment, the nearest hotels with availability are in Midtown (three train stops away), at a little more than $200 a night (which is also about what the host hotels charge--they sell out the first day they take bookings). Cheaper rooms can be found near the airport, and the airport shuttle drops you right at MARTA (the subway, 8 stops from the con); that's where I usually stay.

Event submission is still open, so in theory I could still get onto the 2014 schedule. Failing that, other shots would be the Atlanta Game Fest on the last weekend of September, or Con-Nooga (that's in my actual hometown of Chattanooga, TN), which will be the split weekend of February/March 2015.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Dragon-con is way too rich for my blood, but might bring a few mates to Atlanta Game Fest or ConNooga if they are reasonable....

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

wow those cost would prevent me from traveling to a tournament
I am sure you could do a stand alone much cheaper.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

What about having it at MONOcon
they have attendance of around 12000 people over 4 days Thursday-Sunday at the end of may and a 4 day pass is something like $65 is you buy before the event with a huge discount for way early registration.
They have animation, comics and gaming all under one roof.
downtown Atlanta ....