To Minotaur or not to Minotaur, that is the question...

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I'm playing Chaos Dwarves in a tournament coming up and I'm trying to decide whether or not to play a big guy. In a league, I am all about the big guy. Over time, I believe he pays off dramatically. However, in a tournament with four isolated, non-progression games? I'm not sure.

BAWSH Bowl ruleset states you can have 1100 plus two normal skills (one player or one skill to two) or one single skill of *any* type added to a single player. Star Players and inducements can be permanent roster adds. I've decided to take the full complement of Bullies and Dwarves and 3 hobgoblins, +1FF. For skills, I'd go with break tackle on both Bull Centaurs, otherwise they get pinned down too easily. The question then is which combination to go with:

Option 1:
Minotaur

Option 2:
Nobbla Blackwart
1 Assistant Coach
1 Cheerleader

Option 3 (this was my original thought but Ignacio told me I was being too risky):
Hithark the Unstoppable
-2 Dwarves
-1 Reroll
-1 FF
+1 Hobgoblin

Option 4:
Something I'm not seeing?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: To Minotaur or not to Minotaur, that is the question...

Post by lunchmoney »

Without looking at the ruleset (cos I cant access them from work and they aren't listed on the tourney thread [if they are and I missed it, appologies])...
Minotard
6 C Dwarfs
2 Bulls
3 Hobs
2 RR
10k left to do with as you please
If you desperatly need a 3rd RR, Leader.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Sorry, I summarized but didn't post the pdf link.

It's here.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

mzukerman wrote:Sorry, I summarized but didn't post the pdf link.

It's here.
Cheers, still cant access it work though ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

The Minotaur, often referred to as the Minotard. This should answer your question :D

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I agree, it's a bit of a risk. But would you instead get a chainsaw guy when you can't afford a bribe and then you're playing with less of a squad after he gets shown the door by the ref. Not to mention the fact that the chainsaw guy has only 2 strength so it would be easy to knock him over and have him chop his own head off?

What other option is there?

libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Take the mino and either give him break tackle or stand firm and use him to distract while your bullies walk in the 5 tds

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

I'd be tempted to take Fan Favorite on a dwarf. Or maybe Ball+Chain on the mino, especially since it won't be accompanied by Secret Weapon. I guess you'd have to roll 4+ for Wild Animal, though?

I have a feeling you'll be seeing some weird stuff at that one; Stunty gutter runners, high elf throwers with Bombardier, snotlings with chainsaws. Better to join the party than to play it conservative.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Same thing with Nobbla. Why take a Star with a chainsaw instead of just adding one to a dwarf or hobgoblin? It's free and he can stick around for the whole game (assuming he somehow avoids getting killed).

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

mzukerman wrote:Sorry, I summarized but didn't post the pdf link.

It's here.
Don't understand those timings at all! Not likely to attend though, so probably not an issue :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

There are two tournaments using the same rules.
-A 4-round NAF-sanctioned one on Saturday.
-A casual after-hours tournament for people who spend their days engaged in the other games (40k, X-Wing, Infinity, etc.) that are (currently) the convention's main draw.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Gaixo, that's a very interesting point. I could easily give him a chainsaw. I have to think on that.

libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Minotaur loses games...

Tourny rules (ignoring the kick off table which looks very elfy favouring, especially roll 7)
Grant two players one additional skill from a category they could normally choose from
OR
Grant one player two additional skills from any category they could normally choose from
OR
Gain One additional Team Re-Roll
OR
Grant one player one skill from any category they would NOT normally be able to choose from (Yes, this includes the “ExtraOrdinary” list).

These are the only extra skills you get?
So either make a star bull centaur, get a re-roll (not needed for dwarves I think) or get an extraordinary skill.

Ext skills worth thinking about - ball and chain on a high move high strength model, Bombadier for giggles, Chainsaw for anti elf work, fan favourite well probably not, hypno gaze for a high ag model, regen is a bit passive, right stuff on some teams would be very funny, stab for anti av 7, stakes if everyone else is undead, stunty would be horrible on a high ag, good strength player - even a bull centaur would be doing a 4+ unmod dodge into a cage, throw team mate if you have any players with the right stuff. Titchy isn't much use without stunty.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Chris wrote:So either make a star bull centaur, get a re-roll (not needed for dwarves I think) or get an extraordinary skill.
Good advice, thank you. My biggest issue with going with the single extraordinary skill, as fun as that would be, is that my bull centaurs could easily get marked up and there goes any maneuverability on the pitch. That's how I'd beat a Chaos Dwarf team. especially if there's a lot of elfies running around the field. I think I'd feel much more comfortable going with the break tackle on both bull centaurs.

So as for the Minotaur or not, it seems that most people are in favor of the not. But there's no really good alternative. So I'm going to take him as mostly a threat to keep folks away from the sidelines (shrink the pitch). Also to keep the attention of folks who are less familiar with the game (Oh my! A big guy with horns!! Knock him down!!!). Then I'll probably end up blitzing with the dwarves or bull centaurs anyway.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it works out. You can also follow my updates on twitter @libloodbowl.

libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup