Dwarfs and skill limits

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Dwarfs and skill limits

Post by Fassbinder75 »

kwèk wrote:I'm honestly getting pretty aggitated by the tendency of limiting skills in tournaments up to 3 or even worst 2.
Agreed, the limits are arbitrary. I prefer higher TV caps myself, limiting teams to 110 or 115 just means you get scads of Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Dwarves and Orcs. At 120 or 125 lots more teams become viable.

Reason: ''
minimakeovers.wordpress.com
kwèk
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dwarfs and skill limits

Post by kwèk »

Fassbinder75 wrote:Agreed, the limits are arbitrary. I prefer higher TV caps myself, limiting teams to 110 or 115 just means you get scads of Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Dwarves and Orcs. At 120 or 125 lots more teams become viable.
... I don't really folow you there?
Are you talking about TV ... skills included?

The is a big diffrence on how tournaments are held in diffrent places.
I ussually play in the area: Belgium, Holland, Germany (the part next to the Belgian Border) ... occasionaly the North of France, England ... and wherever the eurobowl/world cup is held that year.

Over here it's custom to start with 1.100.000 and sometimes 1.050.000 without skills.

In Belgium it's verry difficult to find a tournament that allows Starplayers... and the only inducements that are allowed is the mastercheff (only for halflings) and the bribes (only for goblins).

In Germany you find tournaments that use inducements, and that don't. Same goes for Holland (altough the percentage of "non-use" of inducements is still bigger in Holland).

... Most rulesets that I find in England though, allow inducements. It seems that the inducement rule is a lot more tolerated.

In all the tournaments that I played in, you either get some skills after/before each game. Or get a fixed number of skills at the beginning of the tournament or each day. Almost every tournament works with "tiers" ... where the so called "weaker races" or "races that lack skills on the starting roster" gets more skills then the tier 1 teams. These skills don't call towards TV in these cases, cause your starting roster is the only thing that has to be correct according to TV 110 or TV 105.

I believe... that almost every team is playable at TV110 ... with a good starting roster. So I don't know why you would just get the races you talked about. I also find it weird that you don't talk about "Wood Elves" and "Undead" which seem to perform really well in tournaments at TV 110, as well as TV105, and undead also functions really good at TV 100... while Woodies get it a bit more difficult because of their expensive nature.

... the only (really weird roster) on TV 110.... is probably "slann". They ussually don't take blitzers, cause blitzers are to expensive... and don't start with Block annyway.

... I don't really see (without skills) why you would push up the TV... or why a lot of races won't do good at TV 110.

What I wanted to say in my post though... is that every race has it's way of playing the game. Some of them are "boring"... but that's what they are. I don't believe that a tournament commisionair should push races to play the game in a way they are not used to, or they won't be effective. This will just resort in players dropping those races, and don't play them annymore. If you are a player that only has 1 team... and likes to play it, you'll be heavily dissapointed if these measures hit you hard. (like dwarves).

If you talk to persons why skills should be limited to 2 or 3 of the same choice... most of the time "dwarves" come up. It's always "dwarves" ... but what people forget, is that by pushing these rules, you also ruin the game for other races.
... the one that lies the closest to my heart, are the haflings... which really get a pounding because of this rule. They just loose their best skill (well they can take it 2 or 3 times... but that's it). They don't have that manny choices annyway, only Agility access... and they don't have "ag 4" to start with. So a lot of the skills don't really "add" to your gaming plan. Giving Halflings 10 skills, an not allowing them to take the best choices more then 3 or 2 times... is cruel. You can just as well give them 100.000 GP extra without allowing them to get inducements... so that they can have 10 coaches and 10 fanfactor... the gold pieces won't be used for annything else annyway.

If I was a dwarf coach... I would be dissapointed too... cause dwarves just love MB and Guard.
The reason why most people don't care, is because they don't actually play these races. Teams that have "runners", "passers", "catchers", "blitzers" ... etc have a lot more access (general, strenght, passing, agility, etc).. it's easier for them to adapt. If you only have Agility access, and you already aqcuired the best skill (dodge), and you are not versatile (limited by your ma, st but also ag which is just average) then the extra skills don't really add to your plan. You just want a massive amount of Side Step, to keep out of harms ways, and to make up for the low AV, ST, and MA.

AV = cause flings die quick
ST = cause flings get hit hard, and if you push the fling to another blocker (which he can avoid with side step) he'll just get hit again
MA = cause a pushed fling... wins a square :oD (yay)

Just don't limit skill choices... there is no real reason to do it... at least, I've not found one yet.

Reason: ''
Love the Right Stuff