Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Rubick
Veteran
Veteran

Dwarfs and skill limits

Post by Rubick »

Hello,

I wanted to see what people's thoughts were to using Dwarf teams at tournaments that impose skill duplicate limits I.e. 2 guard but not 3 for example.

Although I enjoy dwarfs when guarded up to the max I tend to use something else at tournies with limits... Just two guard doesn't seem enough. Can they still be effective?

Rubick

Reason: ''
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Re: Dwarfs and skill limits

Post by Don__Vito »

The thing to remember is that the opposition won't have more Guard than you either, so they are still very effective, just need to be VERY tight on positioning. The typical build you see is take as much Guard and Mighty Blow as you can with Block on Runners being handy. I actually prefer position control skills over Blocking Runners, so I plump for Stand Firm and have even taken (stifle those laughs back there!) Fend at a tournament before. When combined with Stand Firm, Fend was actually superb! Not good enough to take all the time but really put people in awkward situations vs my defence.

tl:dr - Yes, 2 Guard Dwarves are still great.

Rubick
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rubick »

Thanks for your comments Don__Vito

I think I'll give it a try at a one day tournament later this year (Exebowl). I'm in the same boat as you with regards to block...I tend not to skill my runners in a tournament and feel skills would be better suited on long beards and other positionals.

Rubick

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

As a mainly goblin coach, I prefer dwarf runners not to have block. Most times a half dice is all we can hope to get, and thankfully without Block, a half dice is often enough. Then watch the ag 2 stalling chubbalumps try to recover the ball on Turn 8 :D

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I've seen Wrestle used successfully on Runners in the past.....

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Calling lunchmoney... :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:Calling lunchmoney... :wink:
Wha...? The only time I've taken dwarfs I spammed Mighty Blow on the Blockers. I had one objective ;)

Armydave on the other hand, I've seen use Wrestle Runners to everyone's surprise :lol:

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Didn't you have Wrestle on a runner at the Welsh last year?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:Didn't you have Wrestle on a runner at the Welsh last year?
That was armydave. I had Delves.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Dwarfs and skill limits

Post by voyagers_uk »

#awkward

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Rubick
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rubick »

Wrestle... Eh, who'd have thought!

When there's the choice of a double skill I'm never certain what to take either. Normally I disregard it..

kwèk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kwèk »

I'm honestly getting pretty aggitated by the tendency of limiting skills in tournaments up to 3 or even worst 2.

A lot of teams are not really hurt by the change... cause they have enough other options to choose from. A lot of the teams are pretty versatile.
Teams that are outside the versatile spectrum... Dwarves or Halflings for instance... ussually get the boot by not allowing them to take skills which they ussually use to be effective.

Most players that don't agree on my last remark... are also players that don't use Flings or Dwarves to anny succes.

Problem with dwarves:

Guard is their best skill... period.
Mighty Blow is their second (or in utility almost to an equal standard then guard) skill.
They don't run off from the pack verry often... tend to stay together, play a pretty compact game, with some loners to safe guard stuff when it goes wrong. ... It's just what they do, they are designed to play this game.
They also have every other skill that other teams tend to pick. They are not going to take "Tackle" or "Frenzy" cause they have it. In best case they probably take Stand Firm (because Guard is not availble) but Guard is still the skill they like the most. They have ST acces and Normall Access (except for the runners that can take a Passing skill) ... What other skills (that are availble to them) are they going to pick?

But flings... lol, tell me what they are going to pick that actually will benefit their game?
With only AG and ST access...

Their best skill (defence and offence) is Side Step. If you limit that skill, the tendency of winning games goes down drasticly.
You tend to fill up your team with things like "sure feet"... but if you play well enough, you ussually don't need "sure feet".
You can take "diving catch" and hope for "hail marry pass" on your double. If you actually have a receiver that has the skill, there is less then 50 percent chance that he'll be able to use the skill on a HMP... And the catch (because it's never accurate) is always going to be on a 4+ (is that really going to be your plan?)

Catch? Diving Tackle? ... Diving tackle in combo with side step is a lot better then on it's own. Most of the time the Diving Tackle fling just gets blocked out of the way. ... There isn't a lot to give to a fling that they really need as much as Side Step. Side Step fills up your gaps (even when you are down on flings... and you will be down on them after a few turns).

... I don't see why skills have to be limited. I think it's "race-sist".

Love the Right Stuff
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Sweet God, I hope Heff doesn't see this thread... :o

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Rubick wrote:Hello,

I wanted to see what people's thoughts were to using Dwarf teams at tournaments that impose skill duplicate limits I.e. 2 guard but not 3 for example.

Although I enjoy dwarfs when guarded up to the max I tend to use something else at tournies with limits... Just two guard doesn't seem enough. Can they still be effective?

Rubick
You know, some coachs do enjoy playing as well with not optimized roster.
... I don't see why skills have to be limited. I think it's "race-sist".
+1

Please notes that wood elves do enjoy a lot this limit.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Your cheesed up to your beardy chops, right out of the package, and you complain there's not enough cheese?! :lol:

TIMMY....