Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Thinking of going to the Chaos Cup in 2015

Post by Zak Hazard »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Blood Bowl. I used to play regularly (once or twice a week for at least three or four years), but in the past few years it's been tougher to find time/opponents. However, I've been bitten by the Blood Bowl bug again recently, and I've started putting together some new teams (finally finished my Skaven team, which had been languishing half-finished on the painting table for three years. Necromantic is next). I'm also thinking of running a league at the local gaming store.

What I'm really thinking of, though, is attending the Chaos Cup in Chicago in 2015. I've never been to a tournament, and I have no idea what to expect. Can any of you tournament veterans out there tell me what to expect? For example, are there certain teams that are frowned on in tournaments? Is it a laid back atmosphere, or is it more buttoned up? Do most people go to tournaments for fun and socializing, or is it all about the win? I've checked the website for the rules, and they're pretty clear, but I'd rather not commit any terrible blunders of Blood Bowl etiquette in either my choice of teams, or skills, and so on.

Any thoughts/feedback on this would be appreciated. I know it's a long way out, but I have to plan these things well in advance (work, my wife's work, a young son, and so on). As far as getting there is concerned, I live in the American Midwest, so it's an event I could drive to (particularly if bringing a team of metal models through airport security is an issue).

Thanks, all!

Reason: ''
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Re: Thinking of going to the Chaos Cup in 2015

Post by burgun824 »

I attended my first tournament this year and it just so happens that I drove up to Chicago for Chaos Cup 2014. It was huge and intimidating at first but almost everyone there was really nice. I got the opportunity to meet some really great folks and had a blast.

CC is a good tournament to go to for your first because they really have their s#!t together. I, like yourself, didn't know what to expect but fell right in once i saw how smooth Johnny P and Katie ran things. I don't think there are any teams that are frowned on and they have a packet on the Chaos Cup website that very clearly outlines how your team should be presented. The tournament is highly competitive but manages to maintain, in my estimation, and very laid back feel. Most folks are there to socialize, have fun, and play some Blood Bowl.

I took Orcs, mainly for lack of choices in my personal collection. I ended up 2-4-0 on the weekend and was very near finishing 3-3-0. All of my matches were decided at 2-1.

Definitely go. I had a great time.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Thanks for the response, Burgun. I don't mind a competitive game (it is a tournament, after all), but competitive games can still be relaxed and fun, so it's good to hear that this seems to be the vibe at the Chaos Cup. It sounds like you had some good results with your Orcs too! I have almost a year to decide what team I'm going to bring, of course, but it would probably make sense to decide sooner rather than later, and then get some practice in with them! I'm leaning towards Necromantic (just because I like the models and theme of the team I'm putting together at the moment), Dark Elf (because I love playing them), or Human. Human teams don't get enough love, I feel, and if I can find some good models as a basis for conversions, I'd like to build a second human team for myself anyway.

Lots of things to think about - thanks for the feedback, Burgun! The fact that you drove is a sort of push for me to do the same - 11 or 12 hours isn't too bad, plus, the event falls over what for me is Fall Break, so the time couldn't be better!

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Zak, it might be worth going to at least one smaller tournament before attending the Chaos Cup.

The Midwest is pretty active. Off the top of my head I know there are tournaments in Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, and Oklahoma. Maybe this is just me, but I'd prefer to get acclimated to tournament etiquette and procedure before going to the largest event on the continent. As Burgun said, no one at the CC is going to give you a hard time about those things, but you might be less anxious if you got some experience on a smaller stage first. Plus you wouldn't have to wait 10 months to play.

The Chaos Cup is great, though. I'm sure you'll have a great time whether it's your 1st tournament or your 100th. (I'll be pretty impressed if it turns out to be your 100th.)

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Chaos Cup was my second tournament (Zlurpee Bowl the previous July was my first).

Everyone I met at both tournaments was really friendly and patient. I explained to everyone at Zlurpee that it was my first tournament (and that I'd played very few games since 3rd Edition, so there were some rules that were sort of new to me), and to an individual they said something along the lines of, "no problem. Let me know if you need help."

It took me two or three games to get up to speed--literally. I was going a bit slow at first, and one opponent and I failed to finish our game. (I'd have felt worse if he didn't win). But after that, I felt pretty comfortable. At Chaos Cup, I still found myself playing against teams I'd literally never seen on the field, but I was able to roll along like I knew what I was doing.

It won't take you long to figure out what's going on, and your opponents will usually be happy to play against a newbie.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Really want to go to the Chaos Cup too someday, do they still do random mutations included in the ticket price ? :D

Maybe the year after next, I've got some other Majors to attend first :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I'm still trying to swing it for 2015. It's the impact on the family that I'm trying to get around...

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

That's a good point, Gaixo, and makes a lot of sense. Oklahoma's close, and Iowa's a little farther away, but both are manageable. It's a question of finding out what tournaments are taking place, I suppose - is there something on the forum detailing upcoming tournaments? I'll have a look after I post this.

Thanks for detailing your experiences of a first tournament, Puzzlemonkey. I'm hoping to get some good practice games in before I attend, and relearn the rules, but it's good to know that in general people are easygoing.

Mzukerman - I know where you're coming from. That's exactly why I'm thinking of this so far in advance. I've already run it by my wife, and she thinks I'd have fun and should go, but there are still practical things to sort out too. I'm hoping that if I give myself lots of time to organize things, there won't be any last-minute snafus.

Thanks all!

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

There is a section like that, Zak.
viewforum.php?f=61

The Zlurpee forums are also a good spot to find listings of US tournaments:
http://zlurpeebowl.com/Forums/viewforum ... 5653bd8b84

And the NAF has a list of all sanctioned events:
http://member.thenaf.net/index.php?modu ... ournaments
You can filter by nation, but not state (yet).

The big one in Oklahoma is the Orclahoma Bowl/Spiky Cup (two one-day tournaments on the same weekend). The date hasn't been announced for 2015, but the last two took place in March.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Thanks, Gaixo. Oklahoma is very manageable for me, and makes a weekend tournament possible. I think Norman, OK, is just a couple of hours drive, so that's one (well, two, I suppose!) tournaments on my list already. Thanks also for the links.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I had the pleasure of meeting fat finley and kilowog at CC. They were good guys, so I'm sure Orklahoma Bowl is a blast. I would love to go but that's a 10 hour drive for me. Indianapolis and Chicago are both closer.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Good to know, Burgun, and as far as ten-hour drives go, I get your point. I think it makes sense for me to start with the Orclahoma Bowl in March as a warm-up for the Chaos Cup in September. Plus, I love the idea of two one-day tournaments in a weekend! Would it be crazy to think of playing a different team for each of the days? Dark Elves for one day, Necromantic or Human for the other? Something to think about.

Kilowog2814
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Kilowog2814 »

Nuffle yeah! Taking two teams is half the fun!
I apologize for not having things posted yet, but I guarantee you'll have a good time. We have a great group of players and none of them bite. Although if you play Bryan Tew, then you will probably lose.
And as for Chaos Cup, there's no better Blood Bowl experience that I've had. It was Scott and my's first tournament we went to and we've driven 13hrs every year since just to go and have a blast.
Thanks everyone for having my back, I don't get to all the forums all the time. I really should do better.

Co-Host of BOTH DOWN:The #1 Blood Bowl Podcast... that you can find at Both Down!
Or on Twitter @BothDown
Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Thanks for the reply - it's Steve, right?

That sounds great. I don't live too far from Norman, OK (a couple of hours), so it makes a lot of sense for me to go to the Orclahoma Bowl/Spiky Cup as my first tournament, and it sounds like a great event. I'd been toying with the idea of taking two teams, one for each day, so I'm going to go ahead with that plan. As for losing - I sort of expect it! I'm out of practice, and take too many unnecessary risks to be a good coach, but I don't mind, as long it's fun!

Thanks for the reply - looking forward to meeting you and Scott in the spring. Now I just have to get my team painted....