High Elves, Tournaments, and the Passing Game

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

High Elves, Tournaments, and the Passing Game

Post by Zak Hazard »

So, I plan to attend the Chaos Cup in 2015, but since I've never been to a Blood Bowl tournament before, I'm going to be taking part in the Orclahoma Bowl/Spiky Cup in Oklahoma (which is closer to me) in the spring first, as a more gentle introduction to the tournament scene.

Here's my question. I had originally planned to take my Dark Elf team, but having recently acquired an unpainted High Elf team, I'm now itching to paint the team nicely and give it a good showing at the Orclahoma Bowl - and here's my dilemma. If I build a team around a passing game, which is really what the High Elves are for, am I going to lose every single game I play? I'm an average Blood Bowl coach, and (without trying to be over-humble) I don't expect to place in the top half. Truth be told, I'd be over the moon to place somewhere in the middle of the pack. However, is the passing game going to lead to me losing every match I play?

I play Blood Bowl for fun, and for me, the passing game is an enormous amount of fun. Passing plays don't always work, but when they do, they're great. Am I completely barking up the wrong tree for wanting to play a passing game in a tournament? Even if I am, is it still worth doing it if there's a chance that the running game (particularly if it becomes a grind) isn't going to be fun for me?

In case it matters, the team I was planning on taking is as follows:

6 Linemen
2 Blockers
2 Catchers
1 Thrower
2 Rerolls

Total - 990,000

I then have 150,000 to spend on skills, and had planned on taking Accurate for the Thrower, Dodge for the two Blitzers, Guard on one of the Blitzers, Kick for one of the Linemen, Wrestle for one of the Linemen, and then Dodge for one of the Catchers. I'd like to take Dodge on both Catchers, but I don't know how to free up the money to do so. A sub-question to all this is as follows - is Kick even worth it in a tournament? If not, then there's my second Dodge for one of the Catchers.

Thanks in advance for any advice, insight, or feedback you might have!

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: High Elves, Tournaments, and the Passing Game

Post by Pedda »

Zak Hazard wrote:If I build a team around a passing game, which is really what the High Elves are for, am I going to lose every single game I play? I'm an average Blood Bowl coach, and (without trying to be over-humble) I don't expect to place in the top half. Truth be told, I'd be over the moon to place somewhere in the middle of the pack. However, is the passing game going to lead to me losing every match I play?
You can win with the passing game, but it's risky. I'm sure you'll win some game if the dice are in your favour.
Zak Hazard wrote: I play Blood Bowl for fun, and for me, the passing game is an enormous amount of fun. Passing plays don't always work, but when they do, they're great. Am I completely barking up the wrong tree for wanting to play a passing game in a tournament? Even if I am, is it still worth doing it if there's a chance that the running game (particularly if it becomes a grind) isn't going to be fun for me?
If you like the passing game and you're only playing for fun, then go for the passing game. Give it a go!
Zak Hazard wrote: I then have 150,000 to spend on skills, and had planned on taking Accurate for the Thrower, Dodge for the two Blitzers, Guard on one of the Blitzers, Kick for one of the Linemen, Wrestle for one of the Linemen, and then Dodge for one of the Catchers. I'd like to take Dodge on both Catchers, but I don't know how to free up the money to do so. A sub-question to all this is as follows - is Kick even worth it in a tournament? If not, then there's my second Dodge for one of the Catchers.
My advice would be to stack up on general and defensive skills, like wrestle and dodge. You can throw the ball out of the box and if you do a lot of passing and scoring, you'll probably kick more than once, hence, I think kick is a good skill for your team. The only skill I'm not sure about is the accurate on the thrower, but if you're going for a passing game, go all in.

I think you should give it a try. You'll probably not win all your games (eventhough you could), but you'll have fun and that's what it's all about (I play 'flings in tournaments, it's all about fun)

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

You can do a passing game with elves at tournaments. If you play good players, it won't work, and you'll lose... but you can have fun doing so.

One thing you could try is to aim for most touchdowns; I've done it a couple of times using elves (both high and pro), just chuck it in as much as possible and go for the "we're gonna score one more than you" approach.

As for skills: Pedda is right, you want to get defensive skills. Dodge is good, but wrestle will get you the ball, and personally I love tackle on blitzers for taking down dodgy ball-carriers as well. Or stunties... if you do bady, you'll probably face some stunties, and can go splating the little guys :-)

Also kick is an awesome skill in tournaments, you can put pressure on against pretty much anyone, and if you roll a blitz (or if your opponent fails a pickup) you can easily get a defensive score.

Last point: I don't know what the tournament rules are, so don't know how feasible it is, but I've taken high elves with 4 catchers and its awesome fun... so much movement makes scoring from anywhere a possibility. Just try not to let them be hit too much...

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Thanks Pedda and Sandwich, both - good feedback, and good ideas. The most important point that the two of you make is that if I'm going to the tournament for fun, I should take a roster that I'm going to have fun with. I love passing - setting up the right spread of players, finding the route for the thrower, and then rifling it downfield has always been a lot of fun for me, even if it doesn't always work!

Kick seems to be viable too, then. My thinking was exactly what you suggested, Pedda - if all goes well (and even if it doesn't), I'll be kicking off more than once in a game!

As for stacking up on defensive skills - that makes a lot of sense, both of you. So, Dodge is a good choice, and Wrestle is a very good choice. I like the idea of Tackle on a blitzer too - I'll have to see if I can fit that in to the Roster. I'll also have another look at the Orclahoma Bowl/Spiky Cup rules and see if I can actually squeeze in another Catcher or two. I was using the Chaos Cup rules for the roster I posted, but I think the Orclahoma Bowl is slightly different, and it could be possible.

I'll have to think about Accurate too. My thinking was, well, if I'm going to play the passing game, I'm going all out for it, but it may be too much. I just love the idea of +1, a reroll, AND Safe Pass to increase my chances of actually completing the pass. The rest is up to the Catchers!

Great feedback - thank you! I feel much happier about this idea, and I love the idea, when I'm starting to lose a game, of just picking myself up and saying "Okay, let's score another one, then!" Excellent. A good philosophy, Sandwich. Looks like the Avelorn Eagles are going to have their time in the sun!

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Let us know how it goes and good luck !)

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Well with High Elves you start with a better passing game than most teams can dream of and that's before taking any extra skills.

I'd say dodge on both catchers is a must to keep them mobile and on the pitch. But one thing to remember is any player on your team is an effective passer or receiver. Just be frugal with re-rolls and use them for vital actions that will lose you the ball if you fail or potentially stop the score if you succeed.

Playing a team that uses the passing game can be a good strategy as it is an effective way to elfstall. use your greater speed and mobility to spread bashy opposition out to limit the number of 2D blocks they can get. If you are getting hemmed in you can quite easily move the ball the entire length of the pitch with a classic move, pass, move hand off, move.

I'd look at the tournament rules as you'd likely want more catchers if you can fit them in and maybe even a 2nd thrower. I would say accurate is probably overkill, pass and safe throw with AG4 are good enough the vast majority of the time.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Will do, Pedda!

Thanks also, Spubbbba, for your reply - I was thinking Dodge on the Catchers is important, and while the tournament rules would allow me to maybe get another Catcher, it would be at the cost of skills - I think the rules are 1,150,000 to spend on the team, 150,000 of which can be spent on skills. So I can go over the million with my player purchases, but it leaves me less for skills. I'll have a look at the numbers today and see what I can come up with.

Like you, Spubbbba, Pedda suggested that Accurate on the thrower might be too much, so I'll factor that into my calculations as well.

I have to say, I'm looking forward to this now. Once my team arrives, I'll start to get some paint and them and get some practice games in. More info on that as I have it.

Thanks again, all!

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I would rather sceen with fodder to protect good weak targets so i would shift it around and take dodge on linemen and wrestle on catchers.
2 wrestle on catchers, 2 dodge on linemen, leader on thrower and 2 skills on the blitzers.
If you really want accurate, then drop lineman and a wrestle/dodge to buy a second accurate thrower.

Zak Hazard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zak Hazard »

Thanks, adhansa. I see the benefit of Dodge on the linemen (they're the ones who are going to be blocked more), but I know from experience that the players whose job it is to get into position to receive a catch often have to do some dodging to get to where they need to be. It's a tough call - maybe I can play some practice games with both builds and see how they work. I hadn't thought about Leader on the thrower (I had briefly thought about Sure Hands, to help them with pick ups, but Leader has a wider benefit).

More thinking to do!