Frank's tournament musing

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Glowworm

Re: Frank's tournament musing

Post by Glowworm »

lunchmoney wrote:
Darkson wrote:Given that the UK already has 2 large tournaments (NAFC & UK team) do you think there is a need for a third? Perhaps a reason the Lutece is so big (besides the organisation behind it) is because France doesn't have a big (Major) of its own?
Not to rain on the parade, just an observation.
And on that note, NAF in midlands, UKTC is northern, I would suggest a southern location.
Thinking Wiltshire....

London 90 mins
Birmingham 1 hour
Cardiff 1 hour
Bristol 30 mins

Good road & rail links, reasonably sized airport with incoming flights from UK & continental destinations.

Add to that the very active local leagues with some top class organisers and coaches who will probably ( hopefully) come on board.

Great area for a bit of tourism, stone Henge /Bath Ect

Just throwing that out there, Bristol may be a better choice? If we are talking 150+ coaches then venue selection is very important, it has to be said that the current Thrud venue would be great........but, is it big enough, looking towards double the numbers??

Reason: ''
Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

Definately NOT down here, too far for most to travel, despite going south feeling like going "downhill".

Glow's on the right track I think, its a logistical issue. Would be the venue sourcers job to finalise a venue centrally enough located to minimise OVERALL coach transit costs... EVERYONE would contribute EQUALLY to the transit, regardless of whether they actually need it or not. ????

Selling ALL my bloodbowl stuff
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

If it is in reasonable distant from ferry ports it would probably attract the French and Belgian's so think about Kent or east Sussex too

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

longfang wrote:
Giraffe wrote:What would we call it?

Lutece I think means Lettuce,
No Frank, it's the old Roman name for the place of modern day Paris.
This makes me chuckle. It's a shame there's an Albion cup already, or that would be great.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

longfang wrote:If it is in reasonable distant from ferry ports it would probably attract the French and Belgian's so think about Kent or east Sussex too
You know, I reckon if the event organiser team were consolidating transport for those interested in attending such an event, even if from abroad,there might be a snowball effect. Prices would come down, drawing in more punters, which might bring the price down even further due to the economy of scale.

I wonder if we could get the punters to commit to coming BEFORE we chose the venue? If we worked that EVERYONE pays the same towards the transport, we could calculate the best OVERALL place for the venue, based on who is coming... Would take lots of forward planning, mind....

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Giraffe wrote:Definitely NOT down here, too far for most to travel, despite going south feeling like going "downhill".

Glow's on the right track I think, its a logistical issue. Would be the venue sourcers job to finalise a venue centrally enough located to minimise OVERALL coach transit costs... EVERYONE would contribute EQUALLY to the transit, regardless of whether they actually need it or not. ????
the other consideration is a venue that lets us run the facilities, Bar / Kitchen or agrees an all in ( like my personal favourite all you can eat) for accommodation/food/drink.....

just a thought, id love a tournament where I paid up front a set amount them had a cash free weekend, baring the occasional ancillary cost which would be my choice...... Thrud comes close with the laid on Lunch....but you still need bar money....

something like.........a marquee would be cool....

let me think on this.....I have a cunning plan forming

Hung Donkeyman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hung Donkeyman »

A marquee would be good but they are bloody expensive then you would probably have to hire toilets and stuff

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

Lutece was done in a BARN last year, and it was magnificent!
There was also an out building with a kitchen, showers, loos, hall for gaming, space for tents, shalets nearby (we could do a shuttle bus to a local caravan park maybe) it was the mutts nutts!
Cannot see that working in England as our climate is too unpredictable.
However, someone might know someone who owns a holiday villa with a hall and be able to source it dirt cheap... Then if the team of organisers run the food, booze, transport, accompdation etc, it really would be an all-inclusive tourny...

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

"By coaches, for coaches" could be our tourney motto.

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

If Russia and China had themselves a Frank, communism might have stood a chance!

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

This should definitely be called Lettuce Bowl now ;-)

I think Darkson is right, Lutece is huge because it's become the single tourney the whole community organises itself around. Its central location is a big factor, but it is definitely seen as their “major”, and the team tournament vibe makes it exponentially more popular. I get a strong sense that this is no coincidence, that the tournament organisers have carefully planned this in the best interests of the whole community.

If we want the UK community to match the French (perhaps the strongest tournament community in Europe) then discussion about what we want from our tourney scene can only be a step in the right direction - working together towards a common goal. Perhaps we need more of this, rather than individuals developing their own projects separately.

I tried to replicate aspects of Lutece with UKTC, mainly the team tournament structure with a central* location within the UK. We didn’t have the armies of volunteers I admit - anything with that level of support would be pretty cool. Though organisers did a pretty good job even if there were only a few!

Opportunity for a plug for UKTC? ;-) Predictable I guess… But I’d be chuffed beyond chuffed if some more southern English guys made the relatively easy trip up on the train to York. I think this might currently be our best shot at creating a Lutece type vibe here on our shores!

BTW Frank, don’t get me wrong – any tourney you put on will be totally unique and incredible and I wish you all the best with it!

Bren :)

*Northern England York may be, but in the context of the wider UK it's more central than people might think!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

pipey wrote: If we want the UK community to match the French (perhaps the strongest tournament community in Europe) then discussion about what we want from our tourney scene can only be a step in the right direction - working together towards a common goal. Perhaps we need more of this, rather than individuals developing their own projects separately.
Agree with this - I would bring encourage anyone interested in this topic on to the Team England forum for a discussion of the English tournament scene. Or encourage all of Team England to have the discussion here. Whichever, it should be in one place!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

sann0638 wrote:
pipey wrote: If we want the UK community to match the French (perhaps the strongest tournament community in Europe) then discussion about what we want from our tourney scene can only be a step in the right direction - working together towards a common goal. Perhaps we need more of this, rather than individuals developing their own projects separately.
Agree with this - I would bring encourage anyone interested in this topic on to the Team England forum for a discussion of the English tournament scene. Or encourage all of Team England to have the discussion here. Whichever, it should be in one place!
Here, please.
Purely selfish reasons in that I cant access the Team England site from work and I tend to do most of my forum reading/replying at work. :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I agree, and have an ongoing thought that there should only be one BB forum. But others disagree with me (hard as it is to believe).

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Never get your obsession with "BB needs one forum" - one size does not fit all.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.