Frank's tournament musing

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Frank's tournament musing

Post by Giraffe »

To be honest, I'm considering starting a TFF thread when my last Thrud is done to see if the TFF community could do a tourny for the members, run by 15 passionate talented people who would take on various roles at the event, such as bar staff, catering staff, etc. My yardstick for success is the Lutece cup in France, which is run by 15 dedicated hardworking guys and girls for a pittance and is simply the BEST tourny I've ever experienced. Its a team tourny and they strive every year to make it more fun, more value for money,
more welcoming, its like suddenly having 200 French relatives take you in and cater for (almost) your every need. The beer is REMARKABLY cheap, the food excellent, plentiful and varied; if ONLY a team of TFFers could organise an English equivalent, FOR the community, as cheap as possible?

Reason: ''
Selling ALL my bloodbowl stuff
Glowworm

Re: ARBBL Open 2015, 28th/29th March 2015

Post by Glowworm »

Now you need 14 more.... 8)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Count me in.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

You're on Mike - I'll start recruiting a few weeks before NAFC.
Apparently the hardest ones to recruit are people with sufficient experience that are willing to organise and work on the catering and barwork. Seeing as they usually work in these areas anyway, getting them to do so during the weekend as well take TRUE Bloodbowler LOVE.

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Re: Frank's tournament musing

Post by Giraffe »

I believe the Lutece catering guys and gals work two of the THREE days each, play two rounds each, and get free beer as payment on their day off. Well, they are catering for 160+ people, some of whom don't even speak FRENCH :oops:
We'd also need :

A venue and accommodation negotiator, hopefully someone who either owns or has contacts in a central England location - ideally one with a camping option for those on limited budgets (or who just like to smell "beefy" :P

some transportation people to organise (Free?) coaches to the venue from the corners of the uk

tourney organiser & assistant refs

An IT guy to deal with score and hardware issues, can source projectors, pas, printers, laptops...

A forums / communications guy to sort out bookings, newsletter content etc

someone to sort merchandise out,

A financial controller

A project co-ordinator to bring it all together (I do this for a living, me, me, please!)

An entertainment manager to organise and run some crazy fun stuff in the evening perhaps?

Any other thoughts?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Giraffe wrote: An IT guy to deal with score and hardware issues, can source projectors, pas, printers, laptops...
A forums / communications guy to sort out bookings, newsletter content etc
A financial controller
:orc:

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Giraffe wrote:
tourney organiser & assistant refs
As long as you can put up with my micromanaging that is :wink:

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Seconded.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

Thirded. If that's a word.

But who do we know who has experience running a kitchen - Costing, Sourcing, cooking for LOTS (100+) of people?

Hmmm, Halfling Chefs, Halfling Chefs....

And a Similar person with experience running an (even busier) bar.

Could we even get the punters to pre-order their drinks to stock up the bar beforehand? That way, we could buy exactly what they wanted, NOT over-order, ensure at least to some extent they were drinking responsibly, get them a bulk buy discount (and maybe even justify a trip to France for a pre tourney Duty Free Extravganza), let them take home anything they didn't drink ...and avoid mopping puke perhaps :wink:

At Lutece you buy Gold Coins, they buy beers, they use a simple "price subject to availability" system, when a particular beer runs low, they up the price whilst one of them gophers to get more.

They had so much food and beer at Lutece they were giving it away to people Monday morning to take home with them...

Now THAT's a tournament!

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

What would we call it?

Lutece I think means Lettuce, so perhaps Raddish Bowl or something in their honour?

Or Maybe TFF Bowl? The Tourny for Tough TFFers
T-Shirt Opportunities:
"No MF too TFF"
"Skull / 1 ... reroll...Skull / 1 - TFF Luck!"
"TFF TEETS" Talk Fantasy Football - Talk Every Evening To Superheroes (or anything else you can think of beginning with S)
"2d6 Armour Roll = 5 - Wow, that's one TFF Snotling"
"10,11,68" - Not so TFF NOW, are you, Morg? / Deepoot? / Etc?

Community Bowl? UK Bowl?

What are your thoughts?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Given that the UK already has 2 large tournaments (NAFC & UK team) do you think there is a need for a third? Perhaps a reason the Lutece is so big (besides the organisation behind it) is because France doesn't have a big (Major) of its own?
Not to rain on the parade, just an observation.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

Definately. In fact, I'd even suggest one a quarter, so everyone can get to at least one big tourney a year. I guess however the proof either way will be if it ever comes to pass.

The first step though is getting enough committed people behind it in the first place.
That in itself may prove untenable.

Giraffe
I AM THRUD!

Post by Giraffe »

Also, I doubt that Lutece is the only large French tourney.

However, being on the continent puts you in driving distance of the major tourney for any european country.

Hence its more expensive for us to channel hop

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:Given that the UK already has 2 large tournaments (NAFC & UK team) do you think there is a need for a third? Perhaps a reason the Lutece is so big (besides the organisation behind it) is because France doesn't have a big (Major) of its own?
Not to rain on the parade, just an observation.
And on that note, NAF in midlands, UKTC is northern, I would suggest a southern location.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Giraffe wrote:What would we call it?

Lutece I think means Lettuce,

No Frank, it's the old Roman name for the place of modern day Paris.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]