How useful is an Apothecary in a resurrection tournament?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Mike_Rushby
Experienced
Experienced

How useful is an Apothecary in a resurrection tournament?

Post by Mike_Rushby »

Title says it all - How useful is an Apothecary in a resurrection tournament?

When would you take APO?
When would you not take APO?

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: How useful is an Apothecary in a resurrection tournament

Post by lunchmoney »

Depends on the TV level of the tourney and the team you are taking.

Some teams (Norse for example) are better off with Bloodwiser Babe instead.
If all your players are more than 50k (Wood elves) then an Apo can be used in place of another player plus can be used to save a crucial KO'd player towards the end of the game.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Depends of course.
but in general i would say a bit worse that a 12th lineman a bit better than a 13th. Better of course if you can save or keep on field a skilled expensive player, but in those cases an apo usually competes against rerolls and better positionalupgrades that are usually a bettter choice.
For teams like Amazon, Norse, Skaven, Humans, Slann, Vampire it is often a decent choice.

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

Incredibly useful. I'd always take one assuming my lineup allowed it without skimping on something else and my players where worth saving (ie - not for a Stunty team usually).

Merrick
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Merrick »

As said earlier, it depends.

I took one on Chaos Dwarfs at the Welsh Open and it worked quite nicely if a Guard dwarf or Bull Centaur went out early in the match. I can imagine on other higher AV teams it would have the same kind of effect of saving a key player getting busted in the first couple of turns.

On AV7 teams, an extra lineman or Babe would be the stronger choice, as Lunchmoney said.

HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

In my case it is never worth it because no matter how many tokens, markers or other indicators I take, I always always always forget to use it.

Mike_Rushby
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mike_Rushby »

Thanks for the advice all. Cynically, it just seems to me that there are 2 most situations that will occur:
1) a lineman get's taken out and you don't use your APO because you're saving it in case one of your more important players gets hit (which inevitably they then won't)
2) You re-roll when one of your important players gets hit, and roll the same result or worse!

I see myself typically playing AV7 but haven't been to a tournament yet, so I guess with more injuries to be expected I should take the extra lineman and see how my luck runs. :-)

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Mike_Rushby wrote:1) a lineman get's taken out and you don't use your APO because you're saving it in case one of your more important players gets hit (which inevitably they then won't)
If the worst that happens is you don't lose any more players, then that's not a bad situation to be in. As a rule of thumb, I'll save my Apo in the first half for a positional. Second half, I'm more open to using him for KOs, especially if it's likely to be a one-drive half.
Mike_Rushby wrote:2) You re-roll when one of your important players gets hit, and roll the same result or worse!
There is an argument that you should only use the Apothecary when the injury result is BH, the player is then guaranteed to return to reserves regardless of what the re-roll is.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

I would *always* take one. With all T1/2 teams it's better than a twelth man.

If you use on the first BH, then you'll never be out of pocket, ie better off with a reserve 50k player. Hobgobs are only expection in T1/2 I think.
If its a key key player that gets injured first then I might gamble on the injury reroll.

Then you can use it on a KOed positional in the first drive of the second half.

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member