+1 and prize support

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

+1 and prize support

Post by mzukerman »

Logistical question here: if you have prize support and/or a raffle, do most tournaments include the +1 as eligible? Note that they are being comped their entry fee (which I assume is standard)

Thanks!

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Loki
Legend
Legend

Re: +1 and prize support

Post by Loki »

If I understand +1 correctly i.e. someone who only plays if there are odd numbers on the day, for many of the tournaments in the SW UK it's the TO who acts as the +1 and wouldn't be in the prize draw anyway.

If I have someone who is specifically a +1 then they have taken the time to make they are free when they might not even get a game so I would include them if they are playing, basically anyone playing matches I would include in the draw.

Partly this may be due to me using Score to give me numbers for players then I just roll a dice

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't define the term. The +1 is someone who evens out the draw for an odd number of players. It's unknown how many games (if any) they'll have at any point in the day (such as people dropping). I inclined to include the +1, but how would you feel if you were an attendee and the +1, who didn't pay to play in the tournament, got a really nice raffle prize?

I decided not to be the +1 myself due to the fact that we are pushing 20 entries in this tournament (not bad for a 1st year!), and I felt it would do the tournament harm if I were playing. If there are 10 games going on and we are playing timed rounds, it is important to get the logistical stuff started as early as possible so we can keep the tournament running on time. 4 games in one day really need to run smoothly.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

To be honest, I wouldn't have a problem and I think most people would round our way would have no problem with someone who hadn't paid to enter being included if they are helping the tournamnet run smoothly.

On the keeping yourself out of the tournament I completly understand, its a 1 day, 4 game tournament that I run. Given what can happen on the morning of tournaments (this year we had two of the entrants get stuck by the train service playing their match on the train on the way to the tournament :lol: ) don't be afraid to be involved. What I have found over the last couple of years is that the pre-game 1, game 1/game 2 interval is pretty hectic if you have to play but as the day goes on it gets much easier and relaxed.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

I don't ever play at Crumb so always have a +1 on standby.

They get free entry (if they are required to play) and entered into any and all of the "freebie draws" I run.

they also get free food, that's the trade off for risking not getting to play but being available.

I myself am ineligible for any prizes.... :blue:

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

I run my "big" tournament in exactly the same way Glowworm has described. No entry fee for the odd man out, but they get the food, drink, and raffle entries as anyone else.

(They usually choose to pay anyway, as it's a charity tournament. We have a couple guys out of work right now, though, so it will be a good way for them to still participate and hang out.)