Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

mike.clee
Rookie
Rookie

New Tournament in Worcester

Post by mike.clee »

Hi guys,

I'm planning on running a tournament in Worcester to try and revive the Blood Bowl community in the local area and also to address the shortage of tournaments in the Midlands. Hopefully it will have NAF sanctioning.

So far I'm thinking late september (probably the last sunday of the month) would be the date to pencil in.

My idea was for a 1 day event of 3 games using the Swiss system.
You would have a total of 1,100,000 GC to spend on your team, including inducements (excluding special play cards).
Star players can be bought as long as the minimum required players for the team are already included. 3 normal skills could be given to any player and 1 skill as if a double had been rolled (no stat increases). Only 1 of these skills can be given to any player.

£15 should cover the cost of entry.

I'd like to know if anyone would be interested and also what prizes are typically awarded. Any other advice would be welcome.

Reason: ''
Glowworm

Re: New Tournament in Worcester

Post by Glowworm »

Interested....

However under the guideline given above if I'm reading it right you cannot bring Zons or Norse ( or goblins :( )as every player on the roster starts with skills....

mike.clee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike.clee »

Oops my bad. I've edited that now.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

As I only live down the road in Tewkesbury I would definitely be interested in playing, so pencil me in.

I'm also running a tournament for the first time in August this year so am not an expert myself! If you want to award an official NAF trophy then you need at least 12 NAF players and to play 4 games in a day (at my tournament I am doing 4 games for 16 players - I chose to keep it very small deliberately for the first time to see how it runs with a view to opening it up to more players next year assuming all goes well).

I think there are 4 or 5 things you definitely need to plan -

Rule Set
It looks like you've got that covered already.

Venue / attendees
You have a view on the price - have you found a venue and do you know the minimum number needed to make sure you don't lose money? For mine I kept that part really simple, it's a very small tournament at my house!

Keeping track of matches on the day
I assume you'll be using Score! like most people do (we've downloaded it and need to have a play but that's out intention).

Food
Are you going to feed people and if so then how? Others will have been to way more tournaments than me. In my limited experience so far food has ranged from tournaments in pubs where a load of pizzas and other easy snacks are laid on to home made chilli dished out from large saucepans - all are good. If players need to provide there own then is there somewhere nearby? We're doing a chilli most likely to be served half way through the day.

Prizes / Trophies
I've been to tournaments with a ton or prizes which are often dice, BB teams / figures or other paraphernalia or events with none at all. Often there will be something for the winner, wooden spoon and most casualties and most TDs seem to be the more common ones. Theses may just be certificates, they may be trophies, they may be prizes or a combination of the above. For mine I have had some trophies made to keep costs down - I ordered some cheap trophy bases from EBay and then stuck painted figures to them - they look cool.

Anyway my experience is very limited as we haven't even done our first event yet so bare that in mind when you read my ramblings!

My main advice would be - if you want to do something then go ahead. I was surprised at how much interest there is for my little shindig and so far have found it pretty straight forward, so just jump in and do it.

mike.clee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike.clee »

Thanks for your advice.

I've got a couple of venues in mind and I'm thinking of providing food if there is demand for it. I think prizes for overall winner, best painted team and highest net CAS and TDs is how I'll go.

I just need a few more discussions with people over finalising the venue and menu before I set anything in stone as this will allow me to give an actual date and ticket price.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Any update on this?

Is it going to happen?