Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

1100 Tournament using Orcs

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

I am heading to a tournament this weekend. Resurrection style. 6 rounds. It should be a fun time. 30 pts for a win, 10 for a loss. Add 3 / td and 2 per casualty via block. Max 2 skills of the same type can be chosen and only 1 extra skill per player.

I haven't played in a tourney since 3rd edition.

Orc teams get 6 normal skills / max 1 per player.

I was thining about the following:

4 Black Orcs - 2 with Block and 1 with Guard
4 Blitzers - 1 with Tackle
2 Throwers - to gain sure hands / 1 with Leader
1 Lineman
1 Goblin - with Sidestep

3 re-rolls and 1 apothecary round things out.

I value consistency after playing the last league seasons with Ogres. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Re: 1100 Tournament using Orcs

Post by Saebelsultan »

Well, that line up looks quite flexible for an Orc team. I personally like to have a Troll in my team, but that's just my taste. The following is my opinion assuming you want to do some kind of possible passing game with the Orcs:

4 Blitzer
4 BOBs - Block, Block, Block, Block
1 Thrower - Accurate
2 Linemen
2 Goblins - Side Step
3 FF

Guard is very important, but more importantly is making your BOB blocks count, hence Block. Neglect the other block supporting skills. Drop 1 thrower; apart from Sure hands he is your weakest piece. Also 3 RR should be enough. Drop the Apoth, you have AV 9(!) and you shouldn't let your Gobbos get hit anyway.
Well, here you go. Let us know what you end up taking and how the tournament turns out for you.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks for your feedback Saebelsultan!

Unfortunately I can only take a maximum of 2 of any skill. I can take 2 block but not 3 or 4 of it.

I decided to drop a thrower and add a lineman and 2 FF instead.

I also changed my skills as follows:

BO Blocker - 2 x guard
BO Blocker - 2 x block
Blitzer - Tackle
Thrower - Leader

I hate, hate, hate inconsistency. Therefore I decided to leave the troll out. Four re-rolls (3 team + a leader) is likely overkill but I tend to over-block as part of my play style.

I thought long and hard about SS with the Goblin. But after a season with Ogres I am now hedging my squish factor. In some ways I think a Blitzer with Stand Firm would play the same roll as the gobbo with SS and be a heck of a lot tougher to boot. In the end I think 2 guards on the BO Blockers paired with 2 Block on the other 2 BO Blockers will make one heck of a rigid LOS and/or cage.

Cheers,
Michael

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

celticgriffon wrote:Unfortunately I can only take a maximum of 2 of any skill.
Ah, yeah... overread that part... excuse my rumblings. 2 Block and 2 Guard will be just fine then. :orc:
I still think Leader is too much though. But if the dice hate you (as they inevitably do sometimes), you might as well take it. I hear lighting a candle for Nuffle every night and beating up referees helps a lot in this department too...

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

2 goblins and a thrower? Bit soft for an orc team :)

I would always go with the troll. He is literally just there to get hit and you take zero risks with him, I have gone entire games with only trying to activate once or twice. But he gives you the 1TDD option with the goblin which can have a disproportionate effect on an opponent. Especially if you have leader. On defence I don't field the leader and keep the leader re-roll for the last turn 1tdd attempt. Strip ball could also be very useful in shaping play. Side step on a goblin seems to be asking to get hurt...

You could consider

110 Troll
320 4 Blitzers - Strip ball, tackle
320 4 Black orcs - Block, Block, Guard
050 1 Lineorc
070 1 Thrower - Leader
040 1 Goblin
120 2RR

70k for either another lineorc and 2FF or a 4th re-roll and 1FF.

Skill wise block is a given on 2 Bob's, but what about tackle and strip ball on blitzers?

Annnd, I have just realised I am a bit late advice wise...

Best of luck to you though!

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

The tournament doesn't start till tomorrow morning so I still have a bit of time.

Here is what i have narrowed things down to (all would keep the skill package in ver 1):

Ver 14 BOB - 2 guard, 2 block
4 Blitzers - 1 tackle
1 Thrower - 1 leader
2 Line
1 Gob
3 rerolls
1 apoth
2 ff

Ver 24 BOB
4 Blitzers
1 Thrower
1 Troll
1 Line
1 Gob
2 rerolls
1 apoth
2 ff

Ver 34 BOB
4 Blitzers
1 Thrower
1 Troll
1 Gob
1 Line
1 ff
3 rerolls
0 apoth

Not so sure about strip ball. I find often when i need it i am out of position or the carrier has sure hands. Also - should i consider MB or PO vs Guard? And any further thoughts?

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Relying on cas to win (MB approach) is luck based. Guard is about positioning and dominating the other team/countering their strength advantage.

I guess it comes down to your assessment of your skills and wether or not you feel lucky punk.

MB wise I would use it in the 4 RR roster. You will be wanting to hit hard for possible burning re-rolls on punches, certainly late in the half, and that makes it a bit crunchier.

As for strip ball, is tackle in the same boat? It is hard but positioning is the key to consistently successful bloodbowl. And the placement of the player will make the opposition react in how they place players.

As for the above versions go with ultimately whatever you feel most confident and familiar with!

Apoth wise - it is the same as a lineman. The 13th player lets you do a tough scrimage line (1 troll and 2 lineorcs) that is disposable. It is also in effect a late half, or when you are dominating foul because if he goes off, so what, you have the bench to compensate. Do you think you will suffer that many casualties and do you think 1 apoth would make a difference in that situation (as the player is off for the rest of the drive).

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

This sounds like POW Towns event :)

I personally like Mighty Blow on 2x BOBs, sure hands on a blitzer, tackle on a blitzer, leader on a thrower, and guard on a either BOB or a Blitzer. Saves on re-rolls, gives you a lot more movement with a ball carrier, and opens up the threat of a passing game.

If this is for POW Town we will see you tomorrow :)

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks everyone!

Yes, James - see you tomorrow in Calgary!

Cheers,
Michael

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

That hilarious moment when you sit down across from the guy you gave team help to :p

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

:lol:
How'd the game go?

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Well... I went to Calgary for the weekend to play in the PowTown Tournament.

First of all I must say the organizers were a good lot. Things got off to a bit of a late start on Saturday morning unfortuantely, but such things happen.

My first match was against Dan and his Halflings. Before our match Dan brought out a bag of candies. What a guy. He then stole a few re-rolls with his Master Chef.

Dan completely outplayed me. In fact I stepped right into his trap early in the match. Four squares away from the sidelines but his players were in a wedge. One push, two push, three push, crunch. I managed to take out a few Halflings and stole a TD. His Tree's took root and I was still unable to get away. He had a series of crap roles and I snuck out a win. I believe I was the only win against his team all weekend. He ended fourth overall if I recall correctly. Dan was a good sport throughout the match and it was a pleasure to play against him.

My second match of the tournament was against Gary T.'s Undead. Gary won the tournament last year with his Griff Oberwald led Humans. I have played against Undead with my Orcs a few times in my house league and I felt confident going into this match ( despite his success last year). Gary received the ball and caged up. I think I played the best few defensive turns I have ever played in that match. I was able to form up three solid lines to slow his advance. Eventually he broke through and scored. On the return drive I caged up but wasn't able to get through before half time. Second half things started to get ugly. I started to lose the attrition war. I was down players. Gary popped the ball and quickly used his speed to rush my endzone. I lost 2 - 0. It was a fun match and neat to learn a bit about his move from England to Canada.

My third match was against a full Goblin Underworld team. I was playing against Brandon (sorry if I goofed up any names). Brandon is the son of James (Dixoncider on the forums). Brandon and I discussed the virtues of going Troll-less (my Troll-less Orcs and his Troll-less Underworld). It was also my first game ever against Underworld. Later in the tournament I played another Underworld team and I must say the Troll on this team is nutty scary. I would always field one. Claws are ugly. My Orcs were able to do what Orcs sometimes do (i.e. take things off the pitch). I had a chance to run up the score but I instead went for more casualties. It was probably the wrong thing to do as there is little consistency without Mighty Blow, Piling On, or Dirty Player. Despite the ugly state of the board we laughted a lot. He was a super fun opponent and a really great kid. Kudos to you DixonCider for raising a fine young man!

To be continued...