Minimum experience for Tournament

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Minimum experience for Tournament

Post by Vanguard »

Looking for some community input here, how experienced should a coach be before attending a tournament?
As a TO, I'd want to encourage attendance as much as possible but on the flip side, I wouldn't want anyone to feel they'd a ruined game because their opponent wasn't up to speed.
Wondering what the general feeling was and if anyone has had a similar issue before?

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Minimum experience for Tournament

Post by frogboy »

The pre game set up is difficult to remember when you ain't played a real game for a while. Luckily my opponents usually know what to do, but after the first game warm up I'm good.

Skill misinterpretations are often settled between the coaches in close proximity and rarely need a ref.

Slow play can be the biggest problem, but that's not just new coaches.

I think a new coach should at least have played a few games, read the rules and know what a block dice is. If there asking "how dose dodge work?" Or saying things like "all my players have stunty so I can Blitz as many times as I like" then that would be hard work.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd normally say that a coach needs to know the basics, set-up, basic skills, their own roster(!).

That said, we had a coach turn up that had played half(!) a game before round 1 - I knew he was new to the game, I didn't realise how new - and I think he did ok, I didn't have anyone complain*, and he kept out of the bottom 4, which I hadn't expected. None of his games were the last to finish either, but then we had SillySod in attendance, so that's to be expected. ;) I know he had spent the train down from Preston reading the rulebook and talking to a fellow coach about the game, so that might have helped.

* - As a side note, if you did play him, and did have a complaint, it's a bit late to say anything now!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

And it meant that Alex got a win!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

If you know the rules and have played a match you are good to go

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I found that most BB coaches are very patient as long as you show the will to play properly. Having played a game before obviously helps though.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Sizzler
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sizzler »

I don't think anything should act as a barrier to attendance. If it's the choice of whether to go to a tournament, meet some new coaches, play some games and see Blood Bowl first hand, or whether to stay at home because you're worried that you haven't played enough, then I'd always say to just give it a go.

The community in Blood Bowl has always been welcoming to new players and most of us will be happy to answer any questions. We were all new at one point and if I'd felt intimidated when first starting out I probably would have stayed in the dark and played something else.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

As long as someone knows the basics and can at least take a turn (whether or not they are making silly moves or not) then it is all good.

My lads have played three tournaments now and I have had no complaints, they do silly things but all that means is their opponent wins lol

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. I'd a relatively inexperienced coach ask if he should attend a tournament and while I wanted to encourage him, I also wanted to check it wouldn't negatively impact on other coaches. General feeling seems to be that it wouldn't and new coaches should be encouraged. Cheers.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I went to a tournament with a real newbie, he'd played maybe three or four matches before the tournament.

He's a friendly guy, wasn't expecting to win everything, so he and his opponents had fun. I'd bring him back.
The only issue was that he played very slowly, his table was always the last to finish and a couple times his games had to be shortened.

I'm all for letting anyone play, but you might need to have a time limit policy in place, especially for tournaments with tight scheduling.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Vanguard wrote:Looking for some community input here, how experienced should a coach be before attending a tournament?
As a TO, I'd want to encourage attendance as much as possible but on the flip side, I wouldn't want anyone to feel they'd a ruined game because their opponent wasn't up to speed.
Wondering what the general feeling was and if anyone has had a similar issue before?
Imo. The only requirement to attend a tourney is to able to play a game within the schedule.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

My ideal opponent knows just enough to play but not enough to be any good.
so a mirror to me really.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Heff wrote:My ideal opponent knows just enough to play but not enough to be any good.
so a mirror to me really.
...that would be me then ! 8)