Score tournament software - how could it be improved?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Score tournament software - how could it be improved?

Post by sann0638 »

OK, time to gather some feedback from Tournament Organisers and other interested folk.

If you could improve Score, what would you want it to do? Have you found any problems with it? If you use other software, why?

Ta!

Mike

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Score tournament software - how could it be improved?

Post by Darkson »

Export for showing results either in one format or multiple choice (I don't mean the file for uploading).

For example, at the moment the overall results show as a webpage, but the most TDs show as a .txt file. Also would be nice if all the results (Overall, Most TDs, Most Cas etc) looked the same.

I think you might know how to do it, but allow for direct uploading of results if a coach(es) has played more than one race in a tournament (though that might be more a NAF-site issue?).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Adding to Sann's post - in particular those who've run team tourneys, small or large, what are your thoughts about what a Score-like tool should offer for these types of tournament?

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I always find with Score! that I, and others I speak to, have incorrect preconceptions about what it can and can't do. When you dig a bit into it, the program claims to have a few hidden depths that I've not seen used (e.g. I think I'm right in saying it thinks it can do team events, but people seem never to use it for that. There are more, just an example), and the help file isn't brilliant for those of us that are tech challenged.

I would like to see someone fully across what it can do write a really good idiot's guide. That and the Dutch WC software that worked so amazingly well be made publicly available (sorry if it is, not spotted it).

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Picking up on two bits from Phil - I assume you've seen the guide? Are there areas where it needs more work? Ask questions and I will add the answers, maybe?

http://www.thenaf.net/tournaments/runni ... ent/score/

On the WC software, I asked the question and the answer was that it was so specific to the Dutch WC that it couldn't be used elsewhere. Not sure why, might dig for the full answer in a while.

But yes, the idea is to develop more fully a team piece of software, which (along with the numbers limitation) does seem to be the limiting factor with Score, possible.

My tuppence - more bonus points flexibility per round would be good, and the ability to keep track of weirdy things like Schwing (the award for fouling etc).

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It will happily do Team events, I used it for the Pick'n'Mix. It doesn't like teams being input with different numbers of coaches. For example, the P'n'M was a 3-man team event, but because I had an odd number of teams I had a extra player each round (and the manual draw isn't easy either), but I had to put two "phantom" players onto the same team as the odd player so he could appear on the draw/results. It was happy for the two phantoms to be set as not present ("No"), but they had to be on the team.

Oh, and it's easy to do, but the race list could be fixed so that the races appear on one line instead of two, making the table look better ("Necromantic" instead of "Necromantic Undead").

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Darkson wrote: Oh, and it's easy to do, but the race list could be fixed so that the races appear on one line instead of two, making the table look better ("Necromantic" instead of "Necromantic Undead").
Easy fix, fwiw. Will show you how and stick it on the wiki. I've used the Score software for Elfball and school chess :)

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I am indeed aware of the Wiki. It just doesn't strike me as overly basic enough for a total rookie (not that I am one, I use the thing to a certain level well enough. But how many times have we all been to events when someone has helped out with something relatively straight forward? Coach or team name?!). I'm thinking a ten point (or whatever) get started plan, big MS Paint red circles on screen grabs, that sort of thing. Some of that is done on the other uses stuff. Then a more helpful help file behind it for the more complex uses.

Stuff that already exists will likely work in 95% + of situations. Someone will always come up with some new tournament variant you can't anticipate. The job might just be collecting what's out there from those happy to provide?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sann0638 wrote:Easy fix, fwiw. Will show you how and stick it on the wiki. I've used the Score software for Elfball and school chess :)
I know how to do it, and have done so in the past (just keep forgetting to do so when I download it again), but it's a quick fix that could be incorporated as basic, rather than leaving it to individual TOs.

murley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by murley »

I post some comments from the spanish forum:

JoaNET wrote:Uff hay mucho trabajo a la hora de hacer emparejamientos por equipos,

Este año en la Dreams tendremos que trabajar con score y Excel en paralelo porque hemos apostado por otro sistema de emparejamiento que no es el habitual.

Estaría bien que el nuevo programa diese la opcion de en los torneos por equipos, modificar los emparejamientos individuales. Y que no lo hiciese automáticamente suizo como el score.

-----------------

There is a lot of work to do with team pairings,

This year Dream Teams edition(team tornament) we are going to work with Score and Excel because we bet on a different system for the pairings that is not the usual one.

It would be nice that the new software gives you the option to modify individual matches when you make a new round in the team events. And not automatically swiss like score does.
Xac wrote:Ahora que he usado el score, le veo dos fallos:

1.- No funciona en Mac. Puedes usar un emulador de windows, vale, pero...no mola. Podía ser compatible con todas las plataformas.

2.- Podría intentar cruzarse con la base de datos de usuarios de la NAF, es decir, cuando yo introduzco cada participante tengo que irme a la web de la naf y, en el
ranking, buscar a los jugadores uno a uno por su nick. Podría intentarse que, con poner el nick, automáticamente rellenase el campo nºnaf.

1. Does not work in Mac. You can use emulator, ok, but is not cool. It coul be platform independent.
2. When you introduce some coach nickname it can autofill the naf number. This is actually manual procedure, you must go to naf site and check it by yourself.
kevindez wrote:Yo mejoraría 2 cosas:

- Documentación: Un p*to manual :wink: y si está en cristiano mas mejor :oops:
- Que no deje crear ronda si TODOS los resultados no han sido incorporados ( la alerta que pone ahora el score no se ve cuando vas con las prisas :oops: :oops: )

I would improve two things:

- Doc: F*ck*ng manual… if Spanish better
- Not allow to create new round if ALL results in (you can’t see the actual alert if there is hurry)

THE BLUE SQUIG PLATFORM: FOR A LBN WITHOUT CORRUPTION AND WITH TRANSPARENCY
Maybe we are not the best LBN's coaches. Maybe we don't need it..
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Great, thanks Murley - about the manual, is it just that it is no good in Spanish, or is the original no good.

Other ideas great though.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

+1 for an internet enabled program that can access thenaf.net and auto populate naf numbers if a name is entered, or a name if a number is entered. But this is just a quality of life issue, so can be low priority.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

lunchmoney wrote:+1 for an internet enabled program that can access thenaf.net and auto populate naf numbers if a name is entered, or a name if a number is entered. But this is just a quality of life issue, so can be low priority.
I think ideally there would be a button on the website to download a file of names and NAF numbers, then it would be easy for any programme to look it up.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

sann0638 wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:+1 for an internet enabled program that can access thenaf.net and auto populate naf numbers if a name is entered, or a name if a number is entered. But this is just a quality of life issue, so can be low priority.
I think ideally there would be a button on the website to download a file of names and NAF numbers, then it would be easy for any programme to look it up.
Getting info off the NAF website? Before you can do that I have a stone which would like to donate some of it's vital fluids, a rocking horse that needs cleaning up after, and a needle I appear to have misplaced amongst a large collection of dried grasses..... ;-)

Right way round thinking though as not all locations will be internet enabled so the download can take place prior to the event.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

murley wrote:I post some comments from the spanish forum:
kevindez wrote: - Not allow to create new round if ALL results in (you can’t see the actual alert if there is hurry)
You can't create a new round if not all results are in, it won't allow you to.