UK 'Bonus' Points - TOs what are you trying to achieve?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: UK 'Bonus' Points - TOs what are you trying to achieve?

Post by Digger Goreman »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:
Digger Goreman wrote:In-game score 3pts per TD and 2pts per CAS... Blood and Bowl.... Highly unlikely to be any ties and teams play to their strengths....
What about points for passes and interceptions? People might finally skill Pass Block ^^
Passes are usually unopposed, and easily favor agility teams....

One scenario, using tds and cas, could pit woodies vs khemri.... I could easily see woodies scoring 4 tds.... Could the khemri make 6 cas? Sounds like a competitive match to me.....

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sann0638 wrote:
frogboy wrote:If SoS were used/is used then can't the TO start the first round off using NAF rankings?

Just an idea...
Monkeybowl does this, I think? Or win % anyway, if not NAF rankings :)
If you can get everyone to put their race choice in in advance! Not every venue has internet access (or even decent phone signal).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Funny enough I just listened to Double Skulls pod cast earlier where they discuss the Monkey Bowl rules, cool idea the win % first round match up.

Is every tournament swiss or swiss round or what ever it called where the winners always play the winners etc after the first game, or is there other ways to draw the rounds, like randomly or using some other method?

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The main issue I see with matching round 1 by NAF ranking or win% is that you rob the tournament of the two best players potentially meeting in the last round as a "final" (I know it doesn't always end up like that anyway).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

sann0638 wrote:
frogboy wrote:If SoS were used/is used then can't the TO start the first round off using NAF rankings?

Just an idea...
Monkeybowl does this, I think? Or win % anyway, if not NAF rankings :)
Just to head this one off before we go off on too much of a tangent - MB doesn't do this. There's a handicap system (trialled this year for the first time) based on win % in all games. See rules in the thread.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Soz :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

glowworm wrote: and before someone waves the "SoS" Flag, I won a stunty cup because I was (un)lucky enough to play a coach in round 1 (Random draw) who finished 2nd IRRc in that particular tournament, my points were equal to another coach so SoS was used and I won.... Fair?? nope, not really, I won that on someone else's efforts (Thanks Lunchmoney :wink: ) not because I outperformed the opposition, at least with Td & Cas bonuses I'm winning on my own ability (or lack of it)
I disagree, Mr Simon Glowworm, sir. Strength of schedule is a good measure of the value of the results that person has got.

If you got your results versus statistically better coaches (people who won more games at that event), then you've played tougher oppo to get your record so perhaps that is a better tie-breaker than TDs/Cas combo. Yes, even a first round smashing because statistically your oppo for the stunty cup had comparatively an easier oppo then that he also lost against (granted, SoS doesn't work as well when you lose in R1 as you had done nothing to earn that tougher oppo and you could have lost 17-0, whereas other stunty dude lost 1-0, but SoS isn't perfect).

The whole BP vs record + SoS for ties discussion comes down to trying to adequately value a win.

A win over stunties/noob in R1 gets a disproportionate large value in the BP system compared to a tough 1-0 versus a good coach. And many people think the luck on getting a plum draw shouldn't be rewarded twice (with a win and then a boatload of BPs on top). 2/1/0 and then SoS for ties, devalues the win against the stunty team/noob (but still counts it as a win).

So I like the 2/1/0 + SoS but I also appreciate the argument that some folks want their event to be a bit different or reward TDs, or Cas or painting - or whatever. Viva la difference.

Any person that wants to go to the great trouble of running an event should be encouraged to use any rule set they want. People will come or they won't, mostly due to their personal schedules, rather than scoring systems.

Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
Greshvakk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Greshvakk »

Hello again. First, thank you all for taking the time to read my rather epic post and respond. Time to respond to a few points (oh god it’s gone epic again!):

1. “No system is perfect”. Indeed. But you don’t line up 10 systems and pick the worst one just because none of them are perfect. The problems of 2/1/0 plus SoS tiebreaker are the problems of fair tiebreakers – contentious across many sports and never entirely satisfactory – but much much better than arbitrary ranking and scoring systems which is a problem only UK Blood Bowl seems to have.

2. “Blood Bowl is just for fun”. Okay I respect the people who think that – but can’t you respect those for whom winning is part of the fun? I would suggest that people who don’t care about scoring systems would be equally happy to play under a fair scoring system as a terrible one. Yes we are mainly there to have fun and hang out with friends but every tournament crowns a winner wouldn’t we all rather it was the ‘right’ one?

3. Bunker Bowl was fantastic. Amazingly organised, great venue – I mean above a freaking Gaming shop giving us a 10% discount for crying out loud! – and I’ll attend next year regardless of the scoring system. But we should still be able to have a debate in the community about what are good and bad scoring systems without the threat of cancelling tournaments please! This thread was never intended to attack Bunker Bowl and I already pm’d Darren to apologise if it had come across that way. The thread was motivated by the number of tournaments using what I see as poor scoring systems – for the reasons I gave, attacking the SYSTEM – nothing else.

4. In terms of the actual issues at hand. Any bonus point system that rewards Draws or Losses is going to mess with the W>D>L hierarchy over a number of games. The very worst systems I contend are those that mess with it after one game like the system I was specifically attacking. However, any bonus point system rewarding draws or losses will mess with the hierarchy over time – 2/1/0 never will. So again I would ask any TO not using 2/1/0 – why did you deviate from that in the first place? Yes tiebreakers like SoS have issues but at least our start point is putting the players in the right order! Also note that tiebreakers at the end of tournaments don’t mess with the Swiss system. The Swiss system is a way of replicating knock out tournaments but with everyone getting 6 games rather than half the field going home after one game (also genuine knockouts require specific numbers of people: 4/8/16…) – the Swiss system does this pretty well when there are no bonus points. The worse the scoring system the more this aim gets watered down until ultimately you can be crowning the wrong winner (according to W/D/L).

5. When I wrote the original post I naively had no idea how much impact these terrible scoring systems were having. I must admit it has been a revelation to me that tournaments are regularly crowning winners with inferior records. Sorry but I think that is awful and if I ever get to the point of having the best record on a weekend and finish second or third then I will likely be looking for a new hobby. I think it’s mad that the NAF would have to impose something to stop this, I would hope TOs would listen to reason – I still hope they will but if not then maybe we should appeal to the NAF. I think at the very least Golden Gauntlet tournaments should be ranked in the same way – with my strong preference for 2/1/0 and no BP at all just a tiebreaker at the end.

6. We have spoken a fair amount about the W>D>L hierarchy but I want to bring back my other 2 points in the OP. Points for TDs is bad because it causes a ranking of wins that takes no account of winning margin (which surely goes against common sense) and it strictly ranks draws by their TDs. Coaches cannot control getting a 3-3 draw over a 1-1 draw and there is no rational reason to value a 3-3 draw over a 1-1 draw so why do it? There are better ways to rank wins and no real need to rank draws – no real need to rank either if you just have a tiebreaker at the end of a tournament. Points for casualties is bad because you are rewarding luck and luck is a reward in itself. By rewarding casualties you are making casualties an end in themselves which the game specifically avoids doing. Blood Bowl is a war game with a twist: there is a ball on the park and whatever race or tactics you employ you only get to win by scoring TDs. There are plenty of war games out there where casualties are the point – we shouldn’t be trying to turn BB into one of them. I still invite a Tournament Organiser using these systems to explain to me their logic. Why not use 2/1/0 with a tiebreaker?

7. To Besters point about “it would be a shame to lose variation in scoring” I would agree if we had 2 or 3 properly thought out, reasonable scoring systems and someone was trying to impose uniformity just for the sake of it. There is no rationale I can see to points for TDs and points for CAS and definitely no rationale for messing with W>D>L after one game. I would say uniformity and the consistent application of 2/1/0 plus tiebreaker would be much better than the current situation. I think there is plenty of flavour that TOs can add without messing with a standard ranking system. And once we have a good baseline and are regularly crowning the correct winners at tournaments then we could look at what properly thought out variations might be interesting. I guess we all have a different view on how much uniformity is needed – for example I don’t mind TOs setting their own tiebreaker (eg using Cas suffered or TDs scored rather than SoS) but others may feel differently. Again I think it would be crazy for the NAF to have to impose rules but there is a strong to case to outlaw points for TDs (cause it is dumb) and points for CAS (cause you are messing with the principles of BB). But I’d rather we just agree that 2/1/0 with a tiebreaker is the best of flawed options. The responses I am most interested in are those that make the case that 2/1/0 with tiebreaker is NOT the best of flawed options. I see one respondent talking about points for TD and points for Cas and that’s it – I dislike that because again you are making Cas an end in itself which is not what BB is. For me W>D>L has to be the basis – and more than that W>D>L has to be it except potentially a bonus point for a bigger winning margin or a smaller losing margin. Why do we need anything else?

Again I come back to my original question: what are you trying to achieve? Is there a play style or tactic or bias that you want to combat? I’m interested to know, honest :D

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Sir paul Of Gegg, I read you comments with interest...
Geggster wrote: I disagree, Mr Simon Glowworm, sir. Strength of schedule is a good measure of the value of the results that person has got.

A win over stunties/noob in R1 gets a disproportionate large value in the BP system compared to a tough 1-0 versus a good coach. And many people think the luck on getting a plum draw shouldn't be rewarded twice (with a win and then a boatload of BPs on top). 2/1/0 and then SoS for ties, devalues the win against the stunty team/noob (but still counts it as a win)..

Hmmm, never thought of it as "rewarding twice" however your point is very valid, in my example joe would get a boatload of both Td's & Cas probably......
Geggster wrote: So I like the 2/1/0 + SoS but I also appreciate the argument that some folks want their event to be a bit different or reward TDs, or Cas or painting - or whatever. Viva la difference.

Any person that wants to go to the great trouble of running an event should be encouraged to use any rule set they want. People will come or they won't, mostly due to their personal schedules, rather than scoring systems.
Agree 100%, I may look at changing my Tie breaker if I run another tournament........ :wink:

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

So the next football world cup decides to change the group stage from 3/1/0 system (overall record then tie break) to 6/2/0 with a BP for each corner (often linked to chance of winning so akin to TDs) and a BP for each yellow card/red card (violent play rewarded - sometimes at the expense of trying to win the game, sometimes related to winning, so akin to cas).

The group stages would see teams do one of two things.

They would either ignore the BPs and you'd see teams with better records lose out.

Or teams would start trying to win more corners and get more bookings, sometimes alongside trying to win , but often sub-optimally. And sometimes better records would lose out.

Yes, when Tahiti are already 5-0 down against Germany, they'll get some value/satisfaction out of forcing a corner and/or putting Mueller out of action with a late tackle, but that is small 'win' for them in a dead game for them, and not worthwhile changing up the entire system when as a result of it, Belgium get knocked out because a team of tall, scheming Latvians won a boatload of corners and managed a few red cards.

I have no knowledge of Latvians, scheming or otherwise - just an example.

Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Well I was watching Indian Jones the other day, the last one (spoiler) the one with the Aliens and right now after reading these posts I kind of feel like the Russian Officer at the end staring into the eyes of that extraterrestrial gods eyes asking "I vant to know it all" asking for knowledge, she then gets want she wants and her brains starts to burn and she explodes.
Seriously I never new all this stuff even existed before and was happily attending tournaments having fun playing my war game (it is war game BTW) settling the disputes of the our great leaders on the Grid Iron. You see every game for me is a victory the outcome being decided by the great and powerful NUFFLE (getting lost in the fluff somewhere).
Anyway I will still be attending tournaments weather the person who used the last sheet of TP between game 2 and 3 is crowned the winner and sometimes I might even try and score more touchdowns than my mighty opponents :o

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Greshvakk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Greshvakk »

frogboy wrote: sometimes I might even try and score more touchdowns than my mighty opponents :o
You did a pretty good impression of someone trying to score when we met at the NAF last year :D As I recall I only had a streaky 1-0 win because I kept dodging my Norse (which is just rude let's be honest) and you had some bad luck on your drive.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Greshvakk in the SoS thread wrote:But to me the battle - and I can't believe it is a battle - is getting buy in that we should 100% respect the W-D-L record by dropping bonus points and using 2/1/0 with a tiebreaker.
Well, for as long as I'm running an event(s) you're not going to get 100%, as I won't be using that system.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Dionysian wrote:Should he ever feel unappreciated as a TO I'd grow back the moustache and give him an appreciation kiss.
New bonus point material right there. ;)

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Greshvakk wrote:
frogboy wrote: sometimes I might even try and score more touchdowns than my mighty opponents :o
You did a pretty good impression of someone trying to score when we met at the NAF last year :D As I recall I only had a streaky 1-0 win because I kept dodging my Norse (which is just rude let's be honest) and you had some bad luck on your drive.
I refer you to my generic answer to all losses as recorded by the NAF "You Cheated!" lol ;)

Also I can do other impressions too if intoxicated but you would have to ask my other half baked alternative ego for one of them :)