The Mad Bomber
65%

Total votes: 20

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Auld World Masters III - Star Player poll

Post by Wobert »

It was mayhem quite frankly. Who would have thought a Halfling with Mighty Blow could cause so much carnage? Ok admiteedly a lot of that was to himself . . . but that's not the point. Having smashed up more pensioners than you can shake a walking stick at, Ernald Spiritburner now shuffles off into obscurity as the dust settles on Auld World Masters II.

Dry those heavy tears though my friends, let them not hang on your scabby, mud spattered cheeks. Already our thoughts turn to Auld World Masters III and who may be brought out of retirement to be the honoured guest for the next clash of the old and feeble. As with last year we’ll supply a custom mini for the event and you, the voting public, get to decide who it will be. Once more we have a choice of 3 star players, one time greats but now all but forgotten by the blood baying fans. Previously we have selected players from the 2nd edition books but this time we thought we would dip into the more obscure publications such as the Bloodbowl journals for inspiration. We’ve made a short list of 3 for you to choose from and as you’ll see there is something of a theme . . .

Daniel Bone – Skeleton
Move 6 Strength 3 Agility 3 Armour Value 7
Skills – Loner, Thick Skull, Regeneration, Blunderbus, Secret Weapon, Hail Mary Pass, Mini Bribe

Jason Friday – Zombie
Move 4 Strength 4 Agility 2 Armour Value 8
Skills – Loner, Regeneration, Chainsaw, Secret Weapon, Dirty Player, Mini Bribe

The Mad Bomber – Skeleton
Move 5 Strength 3 Agility 2 Armour Value 7
Skills – Loner, Thick Skull, Regeneration, Bombardier, Secret Weapon, Nerves of Steel, Mini Bribe

So the theme next time is weapons and undead . . . . . it seemed only fitting as Goblins and Undead played off to win the title in AWM II.

Oh and you may be wondering what a mini bribe is. Well as they all have secret weapons there is a good chance they will spend more time off the pitch than on it. So for AWM III whichever star is chosen will have a mini bribe with them. This is a free bribe that only they can use that works on a 4+.

The vote is open to anyone . . . it doesn't matter if you've been to an Auld World Masters before or not.

The poll will be up for 3 weeks then the winner announced

Reason: ''
Glowworm

Re: Auld World Masters III - Star Player poll

Post by Glowworm »

AG 3?? AG 4 ??

Sorry guys, no vote from me.... These are O.P!! the idea of a star player is to help the team (inducement) not win the game for you! I know you want people to use them, I'm good with that ( love your rule set) however you took Right stuff off this years player because you thought it would make life easier for some teams, then produce these......? And remember under your rule set we HAVE to field them, theres no option to leave him in the dug out.. I'm sure others will disagree and love them, either way I'll be there next year (or whenever :wink: )

On a side note I have the same issues with the Thrud stars, they are O.P and thier "special rules" are so complex and broken they can ruin games.....

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I think you're reading it wrong . . . . . one of them is AG3 and the others are both AG2.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

What's the Blunderbus rule?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I see Glowworm's point (though he is reading the numbers the wrong way around) - The Chainsaw, for example, is S4! Too high.

The Mad Bomber looks vaguely balanced so I voted that one.

glowworm wrote:On a side note I have the same issues with the Thrud stars, they are O.P and thier "special rules" are so complex and broken they can ruin games.....
Completely agree.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Ok my bad, however:

M6 Ag3 skelly? For free.... YES PLEASE

ST4 chainsaw? On a regen player with a "free" bride ( I know it's 50/50) for free.... Yes please

The point. I was trying to make (badly) was coaches HAVE to use them, yes I know we use stars, but they are the ones we as coaches choose, and most have a downside as well as "loner" they COST!! These are free & have to be used, so your reducing choice... I love the idea of a grizzled old veteran turning up and playing, and I have no intention of derailing your tournament, why not go.... This player ( use the 3 above) costs X (X being a reduced cost for that player with those skills as he's retired, maybe the cost of a lineman positional for that team) you must use one on your roster for the tournament, and if available must field him in every drive, he can make the team up to 11 ( instead of 11 before stars)

Either way I'm there next Auld World, sorry to be so opionated, it's in my nature ( as well as a total inability to read stats apparently)

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I'm not taking any of the comments as criticism, its just feedback and people are entitled to their own views so be opinionated!

In terms of the stars themselves, we didn't make them up. I have downloaded somewhere a list of all of the stars past and present and their source material. I don't think Daniel Bone or The Mad Bomber are remotely over powered. I did remove a skill from The Mad Bomber as he also had Hail Mary Pass which would mean he'd spend the entire tournament in your own end zone lobbing low risk bombs which hardly seemed any fun.

On reflection Jason Friday may be a little over powered - but I was expecting people to say "Chainsaw and Dirty Player - wow!" more than the S4 part (Max Spleenripper is the same). As I said though, its all feedback and I'm happy to tweak him slightly if the old heads amongst us think he is too much. He is meant to inspire fear so maybe drop him to S3 but give him Foul Appearance.

Open to alternative suggestions - please chip in.

I know people are still voting but ultimately you're choosing between someone with bombs, a chainsaw or who can shoot the ball anywhere.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Wobert wrote: maybe drop him to S3 but give him Foul Appearance.
Now that's fluffy! :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

cornish
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by cornish »

Bomber had the most potential to be high reward/ failure and like we said is probably the most reasonable. But great we can have some debate. It needs to work for us all to keep a great tourney great!

We can always tweak the stat lines so don't worry too much at this stage. The mini bribe may be a step too far... Or else we need to specify it is a bribe for the star only.

NAF Name: Cornish
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:What's the Blunderbus rule?
Used to be a secret weapon on its own (I guess when these were copied) but now it's just skills like HMP.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

Wobert wrote:I did remove a skill from The Mad Bomber as he also had Hail Mary Pass which would mean he'd spend the entire tournament in your own end zone lobbing low risk bombs which hardly seemed any fun.
Oddly enough though it's that skill combo - Bombardier + HMP - that people always say makes the Goblin Bomber "fun". Looking at his stat line, HMP is the skill that makes him a half decent player. An bomber, with Loner, who throws a quick pass on a 4+ is pretty rubbish.

Edit: although he's the runaway favourite, so what do I know.... :lol:

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I totally agree with you Be4ch, normally on a Goblin Bombardier HMP would be a great skill to have. Generally at AWM we don't want star players who are that good. They have to have some promise so people use them but also carry with them the very real threat of disaster. Take this year for instance, Ernald Spiritburner was the star, a Halfling with Dauntless and Mighty Blow. He was used a lot by players but he misfired all the time causing constant laments and fists waved at the heavens. It was all very amusing. If we gave the Mad Bomber HMP then he would stand back and just lob it with less chance of it going wrong. Without it on the other hand he needs to stand closer and then all manner of good and bad things could happen.

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

I don't think any of them are particularly OP - I think the minibribe may need reworking as that may make them so. I do have to say that I don't find any of them anywhere near as exciting as Ernald Spiritburner was this year - although I may be biased as I used him better than anyone else...

The ST4 aspect of the Chainsaw doesn't bother me as he is only MA4 and not that mobile and he can only use the ST4 in defence after all...however, the roll that decides who uses him first half may well decide every game!

Is it worth considering that each coach can use the player for both halves and therefore doesn't necessarily have to field him unless he wants to (or is forced to due to lack of bench)? If that was the case, I would def vote for the chainsaw zombie...but otherwise, would def not...

When does the vote end?

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

The vote is up for 3 weeks in total . . . so 2 more to go I think.

We could amend the rules so you aren't obliged to field the star . . . . . but then it makes it pointless having them. Most stunty teams will field anything as it has to be better than a goblin or a fling and most Elf teams would look down their snooty noses at anything without AG4. Part of what gives AWM its character I think is that you have to field the star and he has to promise much . . . . but misfire often.

I am open on the mini bribe . . . . if its too much or should only work on a 5+ or a straight 6 then happy to consider that.

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

How about two stars, have to be fielded all game, one on each side?

Lower ranked team to get choice, admittedly someone would have to rank them 1 to 24, but wouldn't think that too difficult.