NAF Sanctioning at events with none NAF registered coaches

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: NAF Sanctioning at events with none NAF registered coach

Post by Darkson »

It's hardly a new thing - if someone​ doesn't want to sign up (as opposed to just hasn't) then that's their right and you shouldn't try to force the issue ( as happened to a club mate many years ago, which almost put them off tournaments).

If you're unlucky enough to be one that plays a non-NAF member, oh well. My first NAF tournament (GT 2003) I went 3/1/2 - NAF record1/1/2. Them's the breaks.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

1 is not too bad, i played three none registered coaches from the 6 games i played over the weekend and only my losses counted, I can handle that but others may not take it so well. as much as putting off someone who has no interest in the NAF is bad i think its worse for someone paying to play in a NAF event only to be told their results don't count.

If its an old issue then there must be a written response somewhere or ruling.

I don't think saying that its just one of them things deal with it is something that I would like to say to someone concerned in the event that this happens at my event.

In the document that Lunchmoney linked too in this thread under the heading Other information of note: although not specifically the same example it does hint at the frustration this can cause to someone playing unrecorded games.
- Although you may want to include unofficial races in your tournament rules, coaches who
pick one of these races will not gain any NAF points as the NAF rankings only include the 24
races listed above. That means that if a NAF member plays against a NAF member who
picked an unofficial race, neither of them are eligible for NAF Coach Rating points. It is
recommended that organizers carefully consider this potential inconvenience to participants

before deciding to allow such teams in their tournament.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It has been discussed many times, both here on the NAF forum, and the answer has always been the same - "shame, but them's the breaks"

(And it was 2 wins I lost, not 1. ;) )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Even worse, the 2nd GT I went 3/2/1 - guess which 3 games don't count. ;)

As for being a new thing: https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?nam ... pic&t=1117 ;)

In the past, it's been suggested that any non-NAF coach is entered as a "non-NAF", and is either ranked at a permanent CR150, or isn't used in the ranking but still displays a coaches results (so for your example, you'd still only ranked on your 3 losses, but you results page would show 3/0/3 [or whatever you went]). Neither idea seemed to gain much traction the multiple times they've been suggested.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

This could be the end for the NAF...

Time to form the FBAF where all games will be ranked, cash prizes, blackjack and bloodwizer babes/hunks

:orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
rakkzul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rakkzul »

Yay! Can we bet on winning teams, full sports-like?
:lol:

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

I assume the NAF DB requires coach details for both participants in a match, hence if one is not a member then the matches cannot be recorded. However, is there any reason not to add the non-member coaches to the database?

As a paid member I get the benefit of the annual gift and access to my match stats. When my membership lapses I can no longer log in to the site and access my stats. However, TOs can still use my NAF ID to record matches and my opponents get the benefit too.

Surely non-NAF members could be added to the DB for the benefit of their opponents without receiving the personal benefits of membership? The Coach account could be identified by email address which is fairly consistent and then historical stats will be available to the Coach if and when they do join the NAF.

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

You would need an individuals permission to add them to the NAF database, presumably they wouldn't give it as they may be turning down free membership anyway.

You don't have to be a NAF member to access statistics and coach records.

besters

Post by besters »

The situation has changed greatly in the last 15 years, in earlier tournaments it was quite normal to play non-NAF members, today it is the exception. But one point hasn't changed pushing too hard to get someone to join still has a very negative perception and effect.

If we want to expand the playing community and have tournaments open to all, I think we have to accept that occasionally we will play a non-NAF player.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I started thinking, whats the point in being a NAF memeber if you always loose?

What do they offer?

Theres no record of Most Casulties, or most touchdowns. Is there a record of stunty cups won or other interesting things? I mean when they had the block dice gift i was a member without even playing games as i liked that gift.

For someone like me who persistantly puts in poor results whats the point?

There was a good post on the link Darkson shared about 'value added' https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?nam ... 8036#18036 perhaps we should be looking at this more. The last post on the thread posted in 2003 said "There's several old threads on this subject"

I can here the crys of "Get better" from here...

NAF you've got till October to convince me.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

What would the ruling be if:

1. I had let my NAF membership lapse and was unwilling to pay another year. Would i get it free like new joiners?

2. I was a current NAF member but didnt want my match recorded. Would that be possible?

Neither of these apply to me but was wondering. You see if I did care about NAF rankings, guess it might have made sense for me to begin my BB career without membership until my play standard had developed to the mediocre heights it has peaked at today

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Itchen Masack wrote:What would the ruling be if:

1. I had let my NAF membership lapse and was unwilling to pay another year. Would i get it free like new joiners?
As the free for new joiners is an individual TO's choice that is down to them. I wouldn't give you free renewal as I clearly state in my publicity I only cover the cost of new members. And that can probably be seen as a selfish move to get all coaches on the database ;)

Itchen Masack wrote:What would the ruling be if:
2. I was a current NAF member but didnt want my match recorded. Would that be possible?
That one I can't answer.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

#2 is (or was) covered in one of the NAF docs - a member can decide not to have their games ranked, but they need to inform the TO before the tournament starts (they're effectively non-NAF for the event).

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

As for value - the price for the ARBBL is £12 NAF, £15 non-NAF, so you've already saved half your membership there. Go to one other event in the year with a similar discount and you've joined for free.
Using ever use enforced sign-ups, so I went with the soft option -if you're a new member who joins at my event you pay the lower price, effectively meaning your membership costs £2 - seems to work, as I don't think I've had a non-NAF player in 10 years, and had sign-ups over the last few years.