UKTC V Feedback Thread

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: UKTC V Feedback Thread

Post by straume »

Purplegoo wrote: While it was probably the least effort of the things on the list, I agree the decision about round length was a fantastic success. The difference between 2/2:15 and 2:30 at an event of this sort of size (most events, to be honest) feels huge.
I would also just chime in to totally agree on this. These extra 15 minutes compared to Eurobowl makes such a big difference.

Reason: ''
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Chinos wrote: From a personal point of view I'm not fussed about seeing rosters at time of the draw - for me part of the game is the chat before hand about rosters and skills etc. As someone who doesn't play a lot of tournaments it's a good way to break the ice with opponents and get some nice initial chat going. I'm not sure you'd get the same if both players knew the opposing rosters immediately before sitting down.
More than that, posting all of the roster online serves as a last line of defense against anything funny/illegal going on in team building, and promotes the transparency which will help everyone feel like the World Cup will be, as much as possible, a fairly judged and well balanced competition. I would hope we have enough audits of the team rosters to make sure it is just a formality, but there is a saying about nothing being foolproof to a sufficiently advanced fool.

Milo

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Milo wrote:
Wulfyn wrote: - Submitting results online was so good it makes you wonder why it has taken us so long.
- The system for entering was perfect - nice and simple to enter and verify.
- There were some cookie issues with the website preventing logging in, solved by clearing cookies or going incognito.
- As a nice to have if the fields could automatically enter the input to be a number field that would be sweet (I'm so lazy!).
- Last two points are really just because feedback is being requested, and are not complaints. The system was great!
Would you be willing to do some testing outside of an event to see if we can fix some of your cookie issues?

When you say "automatically enter the input to be a number field", what are you exactly asking for? Just to disallow non-numeric entry? Or is there an example somewhere on the internet you could show me of what you're looking for?

Constructive feedback is always welcome, but I'm glad to hear it was such a hit.
Re: testing - absolutely yes. Let me know how I can help and will be all in for it. You guys have done an amazing job on this.

Re: numbers - I mean when I tap on the field it would be good if it brought up the number pad on my phone rather than the keyboard with just letters on it so I don't have to hit the switch to numbers each time. Told you I was lazy (and I am serious when I mean that this is not in any way a complaint, just a suggestion as you are looking for feedback).

What I'd really like to do is have a chat about how to help with this post world cup - for example hosting something on the tackle zone that anyone can then use to run their own tournament for free without having to set up a website themselves if they don't want to (not to step on the toes of the naf if they already plan to do this!). And ideally I'd like to feed an xml or something off of it so that results could be fed into a webpage or maybe even onto the screen of a twitch stream...

zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

Excellent Tournament, loved the location, with all the extra seating around. I actually liked the packed lunch idea, made everything quick and simple, no queues.

Regarding the tiebreakers, I liked the idea of the tier tiebreaker. I am not sure if it was because of that or the ruleset, but it was really great to see an different mix of teams than the usual. However I can see why people might not like it. I wonder if maybe a really obvious tiebreaker was missed, sum of the individual points in each team. This adds importance to each game. (In this case Team Wales would have been second. And I would also be tempted to add the tier score to that sum to be the first tiebreaker thus keeping some of the flavour of why this tiebreaker was there in the first place. Then we would be back to Doggybags being second :)

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

zulu wrote:Excellent Tournament, loved the location, with all the extra seating around. I actually liked the packed lunch idea, made everything quick and simple, no queues.

Regarding the tiebreakers, I liked the idea of the tier tiebreaker. I am not sure if it was because of that or the ruleset, but it was really great to see an different mix of teams than the usual. However I can see why people might not like it. I wonder if maybe a really obvious tiebreaker was missed, sum of the individual points in each team. This adds importance to each game. (In this case Team Wales would have been second. And I would also be tempted to add the tier score to that sum to be the first tiebreaker thus keeping some of the flavour of why this tiebreaker was there in the first place. Then we would be back to Doggybags being second :)
If you were going to add the tier tiebreaker to anything I think the SoS score is better. Individual scores mean submarining teams hold an advantage as they climb back up the tables over theoretically easier opponents, likely garnering more wins in the process.

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

I would have liked to have seen Total team points be a tie-breaker during the competition.

My team of two adults and two children got roundly thumped 4-0 in the first round. We were naively expecting to be paired with a similarly inept team in round 2, but instead found ourselves facing the reigning champs, who had suffered a narrow defeat in round 1!

We eventually found our niche on the bottom table in round 3, but it would have been nicer for the kids not to have had to face a second seasoned bloodbowl pro in round 2! (I also pity Stimme and Mubo who had to crush them!!!)

During the competition I would have Overall Team W/D/L as the main swiss decider, with Total team W/L/D as the tie-breaker, and then random after that.

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Oh wow, tier points was the first tiebreaker and [going back to reread] individual scores wasn't used as a tiebreaker at all, even before a coin toss?!?!?!

What the actual?

My fault for not noticing this, but that is insane. I must have just assumed I was misunderstanding when I saw people posting along those lines. I know that this event used World Cup rules wholesale and so had no say on this aspect, and that the WC has now dropped this anyway. But holy hellfire.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Verbal_HM
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Verbal_HM »

Joemanji wrote:Oh wow, tier points was the first tiebreaker and [going back to reread] individual scores wasn't used as a tiebreaker at all, even before a coin toss?!?!?!

What the actual?

My fault for not noticing this, but that is insane. I must have just assumed I was misunderstanding when I saw people posting along those lines. I know that this event used World Cup rules wholesale and so had no say on this aspect, and that the WC has now dropped this anyway. But holy hellfire.

I'm honesty not sure if I'm meant to give you abuse or rep for that post...

'Well it's the Verbal Herman Munster, word enhancer, sick of phony mobsters controlling the dance floor. I'm in those dark places, catch you when you're stark naked, your heart races as I bump you for your chart spaces!'
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

If in doubt default to abuse? :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
cornish
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by cornish »

sann0638 wrote:Final standings have been added to the Tableau, so you can identify the rosters of the top finishers etc: https://public.tableau.com/profile/mike ... ublish=yes
Do you have the results data file too? Interesting to play with what we can do with it all combined (rosters and results in Tableau.

NAF Name: Cornish
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

As in who played who and what the results were? Yep, should be able to cobble something together :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

Joemanji wrote:Oh wow, tier points was the first tiebreaker and [going back to reread] individual scores wasn't used as a tiebreaker at all, even before a coin toss?!?!?!

What the actual?

Honestly, I‘m starting to get annoyed by your constant bickering about the rules. Unless you have first hand information stop putting false information here. Pipey chose to use the WC4 rules, but actually decided to change the tie breakers. He kept the first two (total tier and opponent score), but then he added different sets of tie breakers. The individual score IS part of the tiebreaker procedure of the World Cup

The UKTC was NOT decided by any tiebreaker (just 2nd and 3rd place). The rules were public for a long time and coaches were able to choose their teams to what they believed were best for them to get them to the top. The winner team took the risk of going low tiers to have the advantage in the first tie beaker, but also taking the risk of losing against stronger teams/coaches. They drew one match and were 5 games on table 1 and collected more points than any other squad. Team Wales chose the conservative approach and went home empty handed (except AndyDavo). That is tough, but such is BB life. Next year, other rules, other chances, more wins, all good.

We all understood from your various statements on all media that you strongly dislike the rules. So what is the point of continuing spreading negativity?

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Wulfyn wrote:
Re: numbers - I mean when I tap on the field it would be good if it brought up the number pad on my phone rather than the keyboard with just letters on it so I don't have to hit the switch to numbers each time. Told you I was lazy (and I am serious when I mean that this is not in any way a complaint, just a suggestion as you are looking for feedback).
Done! Working on the races now.
Wulfyn wrote:What I'd really like to do is have a chat about how to help with this post world cup - for example hosting something on the tackle zone that anyone can then use to run their own tournament for free without having to set up a website themselves if they don't want to (not to step on the toes of the naf if they already plan to do this!). And ideally I'd like to feed an xml or something off of it so that results could be fed into a webpage or maybe even onto the screen of a twitch stream...
One thing at a time. I'm purely focused on making it the best experience possible for the World Cup. After that, we can talk about the next steps. I'm not against it, but don't want to get ahead of myself.

Milo

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Totally understood Milo and agree 100% with your approach. I don't want to be a distraction at all. Let's chat after the successful world cup :-)

And please do let me know if there is any testing I can help with.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

One thing I was uncertain on about the app: Is it possible to submit in one result at a time or do you have to wait until all is ready? (sometimes I finished early, and wanted to put in the numbers before I forgot). I never dared submit a single result in fear of messing something up :wink: