Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Blood Bowl at the UK Board Games Expo June 2019

Post by deeferdan »

Hello.

After some initial discussion with the organisers I have secured the opportunity to run a blood bowl event at the UK board games expo in Birmingham this June. https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/
Before I go ahead and submit the tournament I wanted to gauge interest on here, as there would need to be a minimum of 16 players for the event to run.

Ordinarily this would not be a concern, but I think due to the likely higher ticket cost (i'm unsure of the precise cost as yet) and everything else that comes with running an event at a frankly massive expo, i'm unsure what the uptake may be.
I'm also unsure at this stage if I would be able to run it as a NAF ranked event, though I don't see why not, it could just be the auto sign up of none NAF players that may be a bit of a problem.

The current idea is to run it as a single day event on Saturday June 1st with 3 games, this would allow for plenty of opportunity to visit the expo too.
Regarding rules, I'd initially planned on something simple, with little/no tiering and maybe some phased in skills after each game. I think the key to this event would be to make it accessible and an opportunity to promote the BB tournament scene to a wider audience (not that it is struggling :D).

Anyway, if you think this may be of interest please do let me know - questions and ideas also welcomed.

Reason: ''
- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Blood Bowl at the UK Board Games Expo June 2019

Post by Jip »

Loki is running this year's Gert Bowl as part of the Roll Dice Gaming Bristol City Open event, so might have some intel with regards to running an event within an event, and the logistics of such an endeavour.

Increased cost has been mentioned as a barrier in that thread, but only once and doesn't seem to have stalled interest.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Glad I moved cake bowl to avoid that weekend!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

Shaun / Monkeyjuice ran Stafford Scramble last year which was an event within an event, although there was no time to look around the main event itself! Although we didn't pay extra for that