Tournament awards - how do you do yours?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Tournament awards - how do you do yours?

Post by Jip »

Caveat: I have no fully formed opinion on this, I’m just interested in how other tournament organisers handle it.

How do you deal with issuing prizes to coaches who have won more than one award?

To remove the materialistic element, let’s assume we’re just talking about certificates, rather than novelty-sized cheques for millions of pounds and large Elizabethan estates.

If a player wins most CAS, most TDs and first place, how would you, as a TO, manage that? I’m not suggesting 1st, 2nd and 3rd are negotiable, obviously.

I know some tournaments use a ‘highlander’ approach - only one award per coach (usually after discussing preference with the coach in question), others use a ‘keep what you catch’ approach (you win what you win), others will give the prize to the second highest TD, CAS etc., but log the actual winner for NAF records, and I’m sure there are plenty of other ways to do it.

So, what do other organisers do?

Reason: ''
Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Re: Tournament awards - how do you do yours?

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

One prize each . But give them an honorary mention

Word to Your Mother.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I've generally stuck to one prize each, but I've once broken my rule; a few years back Hawk achieved Most TDs scored and Most TDs conceded. I thought it very funny and had to award it :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Highlander, with a kink!

I gave some 'you're bad' awards as well, and a coach could get one of them in addition to a 'proper' award. Lycos won Most TDs and Most Cas taken award one year.

In the Pick'n'Mix (team event) a coach could win a team award and individual award.

With the NAF now having the awards section on the coach page, in hindsight I'd have awarded the correct coach on the NAF site and given the recipient on the day a 'honorary' award on their NAF page, but I'm not going back through 10+ years of ARBBL results to change it. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

We do the you can’t win more than one thing as well. I’ve had no dissenting on it either.

TheShepherd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by TheShepherd »

At the Welsh Open we've always done if you earn a reward you get a reward and we'll be doing the same at the Star Player Showcase

If your halflings win the tournament causing 50 cas and scoreing 50 tds you get the 1st place, most cas, most tds and stunty cup (and probably some kind of statue in your honour if you did)

Winning most tds when you didn't score the most tds feels...weird

Shepherd for the Wales team
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I wouldn't give most TD or cas to someone in the top three. Would share the trophies in this case.

Stunty, Best Painted is probs different in my eyes. So if you were to place top three and win one of these then you'd get both trophies. Not sure this has ever happened on my watch. Pretty sure I've awarded Stunty and casualties to the same coach too.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Just about every tournament I've gone to, people can win multiple awards.

I recently saw one guy win 1st Place, Most TDs, Most CAS, then also walked off with a raffle prize.

I can see why people do it differently - heck, poor guy could hardly carry all his stuff. But I'm not sure how I'd feel if I won "most" TDs for example, with the fourth most touchdowns, because the others also won the tournament, won most Cas, won best Defense, so it defaulted to me ... I mean I'd still take it but might not feel entirely clean about it.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

Apart from the winner ( the big prize ) , I see it more as thanking the participants and community attending , so like to spread the prizes out as much as possible

Word to Your Mother.
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Ian is spot on above I think. I like to feel like I'm thanking people for taking the time out to come to my event. With that in mind, thanking as many people as I can with certificates / physical bits / other (a warm hand is also nice) feels better than one coach going home with all of the swag. The coaches that double or triple up likely have more bits than they know what to do with anyway. ;)

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

I agree with this
At the Welsh Open we've always done if you earn a reward you get a reward and we'll be doing the same at the Star Player Showcase
For exactly this reason
But I'm not sure how I'd feel if I won "most" TDs for example, with the fourth most touchdowns, because the others also won the tournament, won most Cas, won best Defense, so it defaulted to me
I've not TO-ed a tournament, but the one that got as far as the planning stages was only planned to give out certificates for everything bar the winner with everyone being thanked for coming with an attendance prize of memorial dice.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)