Little side project. An old Reaper Giant

Found any cool minis outside the normal football collector stuff, post them here!!!!

Moderator: TFF Mods

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Little side project. An old Reaper Giant

Post by the solitaire »

When I met my girlfriend (in a wargaming store) back in (a few years ago) I was just working on the then newly released GW plastic Chaos giant.

When it was done, I donated the finished product to be auctioned for a good cause (forgot the cause but I know it was a good one :wink: )

My girlfriend afterwards always kept an eye open for that giant in the hope she could spot it and buy it back.
No such luck though.

She mentioned seeing a giant resembling mine a few days ago and this prompted me (it wasn´t mine, just resembled it though) to start work on a new giant.

The internet was scrounged to find a suitable kit (something I liked and would like working on) and I found a pretty cheap Reaper hill Giant on eBay.

It arrived yesterday. First thing I did was sizing up the model, see if I could fit it on a 40mm base (30mm was out of the question due to size) and then I started building a base.

I thought of removing the tree stump from his hand, but the figured that anyone big enough to swing Strongroot around wouldn´t have any problems convincing a ref that it´s a bad idea to take away that stick.

One thing I didn´t like about the model was the outstretched right arm. It takes up far too much space and I could think of better poses possible with minor conversion only.

I cut the right arm in 2, cut out a V shaped piece to allow him to keep his arm in roughly a 90° angle, taking up a threatening pose that looks more like lumbering giant stuff compared to the action pose of the original model.

This model is big. I filed and cut away enough white metal to cast a brand new goblin from.

I ended up using 3 pins for the right elbow, the wrist joint and the two halves of the stick. Below you can see the size of the pins I used.

After some careful positioning I ended up with this pose as ideal mix between being functional compact and ponderous looking enough to make this look like a giant movement:

While I was at it, resculpting muscle on his arm I decided to cover up an awkward looking bit on his shoulderpad by placing a paperclip in it to sculpt an elephant tusk around.

Reason: ''
If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Little side project. An old Reaper Giant

Post by nazgob »

That thing is freaking massive!

Looks awesome though.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

awesome giant ..

I still have a giant lying around that should become a referee at some point .. the one here on the left

can't seem to find it on it's own

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

ah .. got him .. the one on the right .. when I'm done with him he's got the tree hiding behind his back obviously, and a nice zebra-suit .. IF I'll ever finish him that is

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

That´s a nice collection of giants you have there Dave. Those Albion giants were some of the better ones made. I never liked the Ork & Goblin giant though.

I´m considering using this giant as bloodbowl player for some fun games. Still tinkering on the rules.

Tulips heaven? Where in the Netherlands are you from?

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I only have that one on the left .. I like the others as well but don't own them

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

The forge world giant is nice, but I don´t like the head.
The Ork and Goblin giant is just a big midget. He´s out of proportion. Can´t exactly put my finger on it but I just don´t like the model. The Albion giants look like lumbering big guys so they are nice.

The Marauder Giant is also a great model.

What I liked about the Reaper giant is that he looks alien enough to not make sense, so he might as well be a fantasy figure, and a giant while we´re at it. Plus he has the right type of armour plating to fit in a bloodbowl team.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I think the ole O&G one is too much a 'human on heroic scale' to be a giant .. the Albion ones are indeed those long-legged, weird creatures a giant should be. I am not a great fan of the latest GW giants tbh and the FW one if huge .. simply huge (haven't got it but seen it in the flesh in my local gamesstore)

I like the Albion ones best by far ..

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Today I managed to smack some paint on the big guy.

This might result in some people relaxing a bit because this giant seriously takes my attention away from painting up a miniature for this months Golden Football :wink:

As it is I´m pretty much working on the skintones.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

looks really cool!

is that going to be a troll or ogre?

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

I´m afraid it´s a bit big to be a troll or an ogre.

If I would use 5th edition GW ogres as human linemen, this would be Willy´s version of Morg´N Thorg.

Nope. This will be a giant, if it will ever be used in a game of BloodBowl. I figured it would be very interesting to have trees on my new bloodbowl pitch, but it would be even more interesting to have a giant uproot said trees instead of that ever returning dog that takes the ball

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

the solitaire wrote:I´m afraid it´s a bit big to be a troll or an ogre.
I was thinking that, still a very cool model. Could almost use him as part of stadium seats or cabal vision TV eye in the sky

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Did some more work on the skintones. Some additional shading, a red face, some accents around elbows, knees and chest.

I´m almost done with the skin now. Need to clean up some areas and accentuate some others. Some harsh highlights will be added as well.

The Painted Goblin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The Painted Goblin »

Loving the skin tones on that thing.

This week, I will be mostly painting.....Dwarven Warriors (WHFB)

What the photon is PHOTON?
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Thnx.

Since there is so much of it I decided to pay a little more attention to the skin detail on this guy :D

Updates due soon. I´m working on the hair now. After that, armour, then the club and the base