Expert BB-moved from vault

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Munkey wrote:Interesting to see no ones come up with any major changes to Blocking yet. If starting from scratch I think one of the weaknesses of 3rd edition (and variants) is that being stronger gives a big leg up in blocking power and that the Blocking effect skills (Block and Dodge) are often too powerful.
Give it a chance! No-ones even decided on what dice to use yet! :lol:

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

Taffsadar wrote:I like the 2D8 system. The difference between "Ag"9 (56,3% chance to succede) and "Ag"10 (67,2%) is perfect to differentiate normal humanoids (humans and skaven) from bashy humanoids (Chaos Warriors, bretonnian knights and orcs) while the agile players (Elves and gutte runners) could have "Ag"11 (76,6%) and the positional elves could have "Ag" 12 (84,4% chance).
2D6 are sexy. 2D8 are not.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thanks for the constructive post. :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

Ok, blocking alternative using 12 sided dice and expanded ST range.

Use symbols rather than numbers like current dice. Most result in no effect, push back second most common. Small number of attacker/defender downing results (say one each of defender down/attacker down/both down). Compare ST difference; roll 1 die plus an additional number equal to ST difference. Player with highest ST picks one.

Probably not brilliant but a starting point to discuss.

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Darkson wrote:
Munkey wrote:Interesting to see no ones come up with any major changes to Blocking yet. If starting from scratch I think one of the weaknesses of 3rd edition (and variants) is that being stronger gives a big leg up in blocking power and that the Blocking effect skills (Block and Dodge) are often too powerful.
Give it a chance! No-ones even decided on what dice to use yet! :lol:
I know, just thought I might get the ball rolling (despite a lack of actual ideas :oops:), everything else has been briefly discussed pretty much.

On the subject of (non-blocking) dice, personally I prefer a 2D6 system as I think D6's are what most people are used to but so long as there is more scope for variations in abilities between teams and modifiers used I'm not that bothered.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
bubb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bubb »

For Munkey's comments:
I think there should be a differential modifier between the Blocker's ST and the Blockee's AG. I mean isn't it the agility of a player that should keep him on his feet? Factored against his opponents ST?

Just throwing it out there. Though your ST would also determine how well you can take a blow without falling over.

Perhaps a Physical Prowess attribute that is a combo of your ST and AG? I mean it wouldn't be a new STAT line maybe something that is just added up. Perhaps weighted more heavily on strength since it is mostly the physical force that would cause the knockdown as opposed to the technique in delivering it.

Azurus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Azurus »

bubb wrote:as opposed to the technique in delivering it.
Yeah, I'm not actually answering the post, but reading that line gave me another daft idea, so here goes...

Perhaps there could be two different kinds of block? One which uses physical strength and has a higher chance of a knockdown (for either side), and one which has less chance of a knockdown but has other, more 'strategic' effects, like a better choice of pushbacks, or switching the positions of the players involved, or a 'wrestle' effect, or whatever.

The skills could be split between the two as well, so for 'brute strength' skills we have MB, PO, Guard and such, and have skills like Strip Ball, Tackle, Grab in the 'technique' side.

Also, while I'm talking about blocking, has anyone ever thought of having an 'attacker pushed back' result on a block?

Dammit forgot to put a signature in again
Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

Darkson wrote:Thanks for the constructive post. :roll:
Well, I meant it. Always hated those clunky D4, D8, D10 and D12. The only acceptable dice in my book are D6, D20 and D100. And rolling just one D6 never seemed right to me. But perhaps that's just me after all.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Darkson wrote:
Mirascael wrote:2D6 are sexy. 2D8 are not.
Thanks for the constructive post. :roll:
He has a point. There is something that feels right about rolling D6. It is just less geeky than those funny shaped dice the weirdo RPG-ers use. :wink:

I would just instinctively be happier with an expanded system that had more stats, but all stats still on a D6 scale.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

interesting ideas

IMHO blocking would need reworking, the amount of times my well thought out plans have been ruined because of 3 -2db opening up my defence is silly. perhaps a different system for block dice?

How will you curb team growth? Ageing? How will you rate the teams? Handicaps? Will there be fluff.

Rob

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

browwnrob wrote:Will there be fluff.
No, we'll get the women to go round with a vacuum cleaner before we finish.

Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

Darkson wrote:
browwnrob wrote:Will there be fluff.
No, we'll get the women to go round with a vacuum cleaner before we finish.
Darkson wrote:Thanks for the constructive post. :roll:
Gotcha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

As long as the missus doesn't see it, it's constructive! :oops:

browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

Was i poo-pooing it?

Or am i just having an "Irish" moment again and misunderstanding? :)

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

People just don't bother to read.

Anyway, back to the topic please.

Any other suggestions for core rules, or any rules for that matter.
Personally I think a d8 would work fine for most checks against stats, though if multiple dice are needed, I'd stick with 2d6 (like in AV checks). I think rolling under your stat is simple enough, don't need the silly inverted table that came with 3ed, that was done just because they wanted all 6s to be successes and all 1s to be failures, don't really need that game mechanic.

GO STAMPEDERS!