Revised Kicking rules

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Moonsong
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Moonsong »

GalakStarscraper wrote: With these rules, kicking is an option play ... and not necessarily a very good one. I'll repeat that in the 200 games of the MBBL3, only 0.29 field goals where scored per a game (total for both teams).
Thanx, satisfied now.
Deathwing wrote: LOL! So who caught the Vikes/ Bills game then?
I'll take Doug Brien over "Mr" Spurrier, thank you. Where are my poor Redskins goin'?

Moonsong

Reason: ''
[img]http://www.bluemax.com/animate/websitefAGIFdownloads/Flags/AllNations/G-N/italy_clr.gif[/img]NAF Italian Organiser
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

I like these new changes, certainly better than the original kicking rules. The only thing we need to see what Chet will decide on whether kickers can be converted from other players than passers. I would go for the second option myself, I think the more variety you have in team line-ups makes for a more interesting game. I don't think it makes that game much more complicated to allow this, but I am thinking of the board game version and not PBeM (which might make things a bit more complex).

GO STAMPEDERS!
Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pink Horror »

I'm not a big fan of Spurrier, but I still believe he's at least as good as half the head coaches in the NFL. Your poor Redskins didn't do anything against the Eagles on defense. On offense, the quarterbacks are "cheap and available". The best receiver is Rod Gardner, who had inflated rookie stats from garbage time and being the second receiver. The rest of the receivers are even worse. What do you expect Spurrier to do? He wasn't hired to bring in a conservative running game.

Pink Horror

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Forget the Redskins.
Who saw my Giants humiliate the Rams?

Probably the only game they'll win all year.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Boy, it's soooo easy for people to get off topoc!! :D

GO STAMPEDERS!
Moonsong
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Moonsong »

Pink Horror wrote:I'm not a big fan of Spurrier, but I still believe he's at least as good as half the head coaches in the NFL. Your poor Redskins didn't do anything against the Eagles on defense. On offense, the quarterbacks are "cheap and available". The best receiver is Rod Gardner, who had inflated rookie stats from garbage time and being the second receiver. The rest of the receivers are even worse. What do you expect Spurrier to do? He wasn't hired to bring in a conservative running game.
Pink Horror
Yes, I know you're right, but I get so frustrated and I don't know who to blame. So, to shoot the coach is just a way to relieve frustration.

To everybody else, forgive the OT

Moonsong

[img]http://www.bluemax.com/animate/websitefAGIFdownloads/Flags/AllNations/G-N/italy_clr.gif[/img]NAF Italian Organiser
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Guys there is probably one additional correction to the original posting.

I went back over the math and I think when I was talking with Chet about the Wide Zone penalty I swung wide with the math.

The -1 Wide Zone penalty actually makes it easier with these rules for a Gutter Runner to score in 1 turn than in the old rules in the 2002 Annual. THis was DEFINITELY NOT what Chet wanted (or for that matter what I wanted either). I'm going to heavily recommend that Chet bump the Wide Zone penalty up to -2 and have Hook Kick either reduce the penalty to -1 or erase it completely. Since erase means a 40% chance of GRs 1 turn scoring vs 29% for -1 ... I'm guessing that Hook Kick will go to -1.

Since the goal was simpler with fixing some of the old problems ... I don't THINK Chet will have a problem with a -2 Wide Zone penalty.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Correction to my correction ... no -2 to the Wide Zones ... Chet is thinking it over. When he makes up his mind about the finalized version the MBBL will test for the kicking rules ... I'll be sure to let you all know as well ... :D

Galak

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I'll get back to this tomorrow. With some big help from Tom, we have the following:

1. An easier kicking mechanic.
2. Kicker positions for ALL races.
3. Field Goals that are just as tough to make now as they were before.

Anyway, I'm pumped.

-Chet

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Acerak wrote:I'll get back to this tomorrow. With some big help from Tom, we have the following:

1. An easier kicking mechanic.
2. Kicker positions for ALL races.
3. Field Goals that are just as tough to make now as they were before.

Anyway, I'm pumped.

-Chet
Chet forgot the most important part ... the 2.3 beta version of the PBeM tool allows you to use the kicking rules. :lol:

Just kidding Chet.

Tom

Coach Barry
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Coach Barry »

I sincerely think that kicking is just going to kill the mechanics of the game. Elves, don't bother anymore trying to dodge away from opponents, they just shoot the damned thing with AG 4! Field goals will start raining. The thing about BB is that you have to battle all the way down to score.
:smoking:

After a full length beating, one must think that no matter how miserable you are, an uncertain life is better than a certain death!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Coach Barry wrote:I sincerely think that kicking is just going to kill the mechanics of the game. Elves, don't bother anymore trying to dodge away from opponents, they just shoot the damned thing with AG 4! Field goals will start raining. The thing about BB is that you have to battle all the way down to score.
:smoking:
Spoken like a true coach that never seen the rules being used.

Galak

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Galak,
I liked your/Chets kicking rules. They look very nice.
I don't know whether it is balanced or not, but I for one wouldn't mind kickers on all teams - like you suggested.

2 things:
I got the kicking rules from Chet at some point, and in his version, the range of the kick was 1d6 + agility. Not strength.
When I mailed him that I thought a had seen the rules with "strength" somewhere, he didn't know anything about that.

Secondly, the kicking rules really mess with the "open" scoring system from deathzone.
Lets say a team wins by 4 TDs to none.
In the open system that would be worth 19 points for the winner, 1 for the loser.
With the kicking rules, that would be 27 for the winner, and -7(!) for the loser.

The simplest fix is probably to multiply the fixed values (5 for a loss, 15 for a win) by 3, just like the TDs have had their value tripled.

Regards
Martin :)