New Skill Suggestion - Lycanthropy (Extraordinary)

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

New Skill Suggestion - Lycanthropy (Extraordinary)

Post by lerchey »

So, on a whim, I was looking through a box of old minis this past weekend and came across a werewolf mini that I've always loved. No biggie, but since I was actually looking for BB minis at the time, my head linked the two a bit. :)

I've never really understood why the Werewolf in BB is a member of the Necromantic team list. They're not raised from the dead, don't feast upon the dead, and well, have nothing to do with the dead other than maybe creating them. I also think that they're a tad weak for a gen-u-ine werewolf. However, I don't think that it is reasonable to remove the werewolves from the Necros as they're kind of the team blitzers.

So, I thought it might be fun to create a skill that would allow others to have werewolves, but in a much more limited way...

Lycanthropy (Extraordinary)
This player has been bitten at one time or another by a werewolf, likely as part of a Bloodbowl match against a Necromantic team, and is now a werewolf himself. Players with Lycanthropy start the game as a normal player of their type (limited to non-big guy player types). Once per game the player may attempt to change into a werewolf. Roll 1D6 - on a result of 1 the player cringes in pain and loses his activation but does not cause a turnover. On a result of 2-6 the player immediately takes on the stats of a werewolf (see Necromantic team list) and will remain so for the duration of the drive. At the end of the drive the player is immediately removed to the Casualty box as if he were using a Secret Weapon as the stress of changing has exhausted him.

Might be fun to also introduce a special rule for the werewolves in general indicating that if they cause a CAS and the player is killed, the owner rolls 1D6. On a result of 1-5 the death stands (unless saved by apothocary, of course). On a result of 6 the player Misses the next game and gains the skill Lycanthropy (increases player cost as if he had gained a skill on doubles).

There. Now that that's out of my system, folks can kick it around, rip it to shreds, etc. But now it won't just sit around in my brain bugging me. :)

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

That's actually pretty cool. I would have a failed roll place the player prone though. I might also consider listing the stat changes as +2 MA, Claw, Frenzy, Regenerate. That allows for them to keep any stat increases gained.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

I like that too. Sounds fun :)

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Joemanji,

I like your suggestions. The ability to keep existing stats/gains and skills would be good. :)

Thanks!

katadder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by katadder »

Joemanji wrote:That's actually pretty cool. I would have a failed roll place the player prone though. I might also consider listing the stat changes as +2 MA, Claw, Frenzy, Regenerate. That allows for them to keep any stat increases gained.
add in the skills maybe but not the move. imagine a woodelf wardancer werewolf - speed 10, blodger with werewolf skills or a gutter runner getting speed 11. the werewolf skills would probably be enough to make this an interesting skill.

mamapepe
Veteran
Veteran

Cool Idea

Post by mamapepe »

I too really like the idea, my personal amendments would be that the roll is carried out during the resolution of the first Kick off.

Secondly, rather than giving them the stats of a Werewolf, instead;

0-16 Lycanthorpe MA5 ST4 AG 2 AV 7 Frenzy, Claw, Thick Skull, Lycanthropy Access to S and GA on doubles.

Also, if they are K.O'ed, similarly to secret weapons, they are out for the rest of the game.

NAF Toilet Inspector - blocking toilets since '87
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Maybe give them No Hands?

Also can they regenerate or be apothecaried? I wouldnt refer to them being removed from the game as per secret weapon rules just because that leaves open cheesy exploits of bribes.

Edit: actually we did a similar thing for vampires in an older league I played in. If a vampire killed a player then they gained +St, +AG, bloodlust, hypnogaze, and regenerate. Seeing a vampiric halfling running around the pitch preying on his fellow halflings was funny :D

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Ziggi Abschuss
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Cool Idea

Post by Ziggi Abschuss »

mamapepe87 wrote:I too really like the idea, my personal amendments would be that the roll is carried out during the resolution of the first Kick off.

Secondly, rather than giving them the stats of a Werewolf, instead;

0-16 Lycanthorpe MA5 ST4 AG 2 AV 7 Frenzy, Claw, Thick Skull, Lycanthropy Access to S and GA on doubles.

Also, if they are K.O'ed, similarly to secret weapons, they are out for the rest of the game.
Been there, done that and dont remember a thing (actually had a blast). This looks like a revision of the 2nd ed werewolf team which was actually quite nice.

Ziggi

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,Nuffle-spc-Sucks,white,black.png[/img][/url]
Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

Yeah, bring back the 2nd ed team! They were fun. I would get to revive the old "Reikland Retrievers" I had back then.

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

Quality. I've been trying to convince my guys that we need The Rot but this is probably a much more sensible way of adding more fun. Trying to keep myself from wanting to track two sets of SPPs but great concept.

[size=75][b][url=http://bbowl.pendragonknights.co.uk]AD Blood Bowl[/url]
[url=http://adcorppublishing.co.uk]Publisher[/url]
[/b][/size]