Valuation of Team Performances

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Also note that some team races just get more SPP.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Grumbledook wrote:depednds how you judge awesome/excellence

I've had some 1-0 wins with no casualties with my dark elves that I thought they played excellent in

table doesn't represent that either

would have to get really complex to be of accurate representation
Fully agree, but I think you are happy with the performance because you either overcame bad luck, or were overmatched on the pitch, or played an equally skilled (or better skilled) coach.

The original poster is just trying to get an average performance metric, almost independent of coaching skill, relative TV, or team. It's a good start!

UncleBob
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UncleBob »

Agree, with Jural.

I myself had once a 1-0 win with Dark Elves versus Orcs. My Dark Elves had 8 SPP, the Orcs 5.
It was one of the greatest matches I ever played (we both agreed on that), and I was happy to have survived it. But it sure wasn't beautiful, rather a 16 turn, in-your-face, slug feast.
And it was therefore a poor performance and to be honest you can expect Dark Elves to perform better. So judging by the potential a Dark Elf team has, one TD is poor.
It's just as in real sport. A team can play extremely good but loose anyway, they can play poorly but win, they can put up an extremly close and energizing game but their stats suck and so on. This is a problem that can't be fixed just as in real sport, the only thing one can do is to read the stas correctly.

And about different races, I believe the table is fine which becomes more clearly when you break it down into its parts.
For example:
2TD, 1 COMP and 4 CAS is awesome! and
4 TD and 3 COMP is awesome!.
In my experience it is balanced, scorer and bashers have both chances to have an deceisive performans. At least it was like that in my league where bashers were actually doing better. Khemri can always come up with 5 CAS and that's close to awesome! and guarenteed mediocre, one TD and it's excellent. In theory and with the small data base I've got I believe it to be balanced.
The only thing I'm afraid of is that my league is to tight on defence and that other coaches/ leagues have a much higher SPP average.
Geoff Watson's 21,3 is Awesome!, the best in my league I can remember was 16, the average 14. And I based the table on that.
If these numbers turn out to be wrong the table is wrong.
But if the table changes I believe it will change in favour of the scorers.
I'ts the old BB problem I call "the gap", probably unsolvable.

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

It's not unsolvable....just ban all woodelves!!

:smoking:

I'll have to see how the HFH do with this...think I'll add it to the blog!

"In Dodge We Trust"
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

You know, I do think there is a flaw in this when I consider it. It doesn't take into account what the other side did. Conceivably, two Skaven coaches with OTS could come to a 17-16 game by just not playing defense. That would be a minimum of 53 SPP's per side!

What if the valuation was in Net SPP's, or even better:

SPP's-opponent's TD's-Opponent's casualties-Opponent's interceptions.

The above formula would bring one dimensional teams slightly back into line (teams that score and get scored on and bash but get bashed back both would score lower.)

It's not a damning indictment, more of just a tweak!

UncleBob
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UncleBob »

Baning Wood Elves (and everyone else taller than a Dwarf) is what the World Edge League did (2nd Edition).
But the gap is also between AV7 and AV9, AG2 and AG4, TD (3SPP) and CAS (2SPP) and so on. Everything always seems to work only for either side, hardly for both.

To compare teams (it seems easier to just compare the total SPPs of both teams) would be a new table, as it wouldn't judge the teams performances anymore (not distinguishing between 7 SPP vs 5 SPP and 20 SPP vs. 18 SPP).
At the moment a team can't get an excellent or awesome! result just by scoring or causing CAS, in common they need to do both to move into that catagories. And I like that, as it's also judging how complete a teams playing style is. Unless they really score or injure in outstanding figures.

But to compare teams would pay a 1-0 tough win it's due credit. But it still wouldn't pay any attention to the race played against. It is simpler to beat Halflings than Chaos Warriors. But I guess at a certain moment one has to ask oneself when such a table stops being handy.

But to compare the teams total SPP seems a fair idea. Although I would rather do both than mixing the tables.