Squad rotation

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Squad rotation

Post by bigallium »

Was thinking this was another way to help balance out large (and not so large) TV differences, although with the correct mechanism it could be applied to both teams.

Basically you can give your players a voluntary MNG to manage down your rating.

But you could also use it to keep a player out of harms way against a particulary vicious team, or 'rest' players to give lesser lights a piece of the action.

It would also make it possible to have a full 16 man team (or more..) without having a ridiculously large TV rating each match. Also, certain teams could put out different style teams for differnet opponents.

Not sure how it would fit into the pre/post game mechanism, but I guess it would be part of the inducement phase, with the team with the larger TV deciding 1st and the underdog deciding 2nd, as part of their inducements. If this were the case, you would need a rule that the overdog could not lower their TV below that of the underdog or under 11 players (otherwise you get a kind of 'limbo - how low can you go' situation).

?

Reason: ''
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

I don't like the idea. You could use this to massively tailor your team to different opponents without any drawback. Get a full 16 roster and have some players as your "Gutter Runner Hunters" (Tackle, Frenzy, MB, etc.).
Not playing against an agility team? No problem, just leave these players at home.
Playing against a team with Sure Hands? Just leave your Strip Baller at home, etc.

Too powerful.

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

It just seems a bit unfair on the opponent. Say you've got a Gutter Runner with five skills and you're playing against a Dwarf team next. You bench the Gutter Runner to keep him safe and the Dwarfs get far less inducements than they would if the super-rat was on the team.

bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bigallium »

Mootaz wrote:I don't like the idea. You could use this to massively tailor your team to different opponents without any drawback. Get a full 16 roster and have some players as your "Gutter Runner Hunters" (Tackle, Frenzy, MB, etc.).
Not playing against an agility team? No problem, just leave these players at home.
Playing against a team with Sure Hands? Just leave your Strip Baller at home, etc.

Too powerful.
but the same for everyone. And 'more fair' to play against a team closer to you in TV..

bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bigallium »

howlinggriffon wrote:It just seems a bit unfair on the opponent. Say you've got a Gutter Runner with five skills and you're playing against a Dwarf team next. You bench the Gutter Runner to keep him safe and the Dwarfs get far less inducements than they would if the super-rat was on the team.
If I was the Dwarf coach, I'd be very happy about that.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

not really

Dwarf teams should love to play against Skaven... nice crunchy rats who rely on dodge and lots of movement to survive when they have the ball.

My Trollslayers actually became known as Rat Slayers on a regular basis...

I agree the idea is stacked in favour of the overdog and therefore unfair.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bigallium »

fair enough

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

or on the flip side of that if your TV is quite a bit a way ahead of all the other teams you may not get a chance to play some players at all

so why have them on the team

I think boosting the other team is more fun for both sides, why build players up you can't really use

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Maybe a few other balance issues as well- you can avoid spiralling expenses that way. Also, overdog teams could use this to replacemen linemen with loner fodder (a good option for some teams, such as Wood Elves.) Finally, a team could easily "game" against certain inducements. Dropping underdogs beneath the "Count" level, for example.

The above problems can probably be solved by not inflicting MNG injuries, but just having the player "sit out." The inducement value of your opponent would be lessened, but your calculated TV would not.

In my mind, voluntarily sitting out players for matches should never be a way to increase your winnings.

bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bigallium »

no, the total TV (for winnings) wold not be effcted. Absolutely not. Just a way to make teams more even.
An as you can never go beneath 11 players or make yourself the underdog, bringing in loner fodder would not be possible

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bludbowler »

Try this . . .

If a player is "benched" for a game, roll 1D6 before inducements are purchased. If 3-6 is rolled, the player stays with the team, but on 1-2 he phones his agent in disgust and leaves the team to become a free agent unless the player's coach pays his current value prior to purchasing any inducements for that game.