Naming the common defensive setups

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re:

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Grumbledook wrote:

bah looks like talkbloodbowl isn't set up to use them
I've tried to find the info on how to enable it but I can't. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Naming the common defensive setups

Post by voyagers_uk »

'Dook should know, or ask Coach over at BBtactics.com

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Re:

Post by Craigtw »

Darkson wrote:
Grumbledook wrote:personally I find a top down view as supported on play-creator.com much easier to see than a 3d one
Agree 100%.
Have to disagree with Darkson. I prefer the 3-D ones myself. But then I don't have a lot of experience with the other one, so maybe some of the rest of you are just used to that.

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'm a big fan of sideline views when watching real football, 'cause you can look at the guys' footwork and you can sometimes get a perspective of the personal, physical aspect of the game that the overhead doesn't always give you (though you need both, really... damn NFL films for focusing on the QB between plays). But in BB I'm firmly in the overhead camp.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

The 'Who's the Daddy' defence should be called the Fool's Defence.

WE defence

Code: Select all

----|-L-L-L-|----
----|-------|----
-LL-|W--C--W|-LL-
----|---T---|----
Of course after the first turn you need to adopt the Dune Defence!

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

BTW folks Play-Creator has now been setup to work on this forum!!

Heres a quick example

"In Dodge We Trust"
Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

Dang, and it's flash. I have to find a no-fuss workaround for that now. Can't stop development :)

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Would it be possible to copy and paste all of the compiled set-ups in a seaprate thread or at least on the first page of this one so you don't have to keep searching through all of the pages to find them all?

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I have a lot on my plate through Wednesday, but after that I can try to get it all up in playcreator. Unless of course someone else beats me to the punch.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

I'm tying this to see if it works:

http://www.play-creator.com/viewplay.asp?viewplay=4536

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gimli »

I'm surprised that I didn't find one of the most common defences I see in my League. Not sure what to call it, but I call it something like the "stacks of 2".

- - - - - - - x x x - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- x - - x - - - - - - - x - - x -

If the other team has frenzy, the players in the third row on the extreme left and right have to have SF or SS, failing which they must each be moved toward the centre one square.

The idea here is that the flanks are completely shut down - even if they blitz the first player in a stack of 2, the player right behind prevents further movement. Effectively, it forces the opponent into the middle of the pitch. They will usually knock some of the Linos down and then blitz the player at the top of one of the inside stacks. This then lets you collapse your players around the opponents, as they will have conveniently placed themselves in the middle of your formation where they can be reached by all of your players. You will place your fastest players on the extreme flanks so as to allow quick deployment. The players on one of the extreme flanks will usually be left alone which lets you put one or two players into the opponent's backfield, or at least behind his team.

I used to use this defence just vs Finesse teams, but have found it just as useful vs Bash, as it channels their attack and lets your extreme flankers get into their backfield quickly. Thoughts?

Smurf

Post by Smurf »

That set up might work, but it depends on the team setting up.

I think Lizardmen, Skaven and WE can get around it, it may cause a poser for Human and HE,Elf,DE.

On the flip side, I thinnk Chaos, Chaos Dwarves, Dwarves and Orcs will destroy the set up.

That's just an oberservation of what I have seen.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Rubric
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rubric »

Gimli wrote:I'm surprised that I didn't find one of the most common defences I see in my League. Not sure what to call it, but I call it something like the "stacks of 2".

This had me confused for a minute, until I figured out that Your field is 2 squares too wide. Here is a fixed version:

- - - - - - x x x - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- x - - x - - - - - x - - x -

I see this now and then at MBBL. I was thinking of the name as "columns" rather than "stacks of 2".

I've also seen it with the back field moved up, or sometimes in. So you might get:

- - x - - x - - - x - - x - -

or:

That last is risking a Quick Snap on the kick off table, but I think it can still be useful, especially if you have one or more guards on the line. That way you protect the ends and make it harder for the opponent to get 2d blocks on your line.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Another variant of this is with the last row moved one space backwards. This is only useful against the faster agility teams though.

Rubric wrote:
Gimli wrote:I'm surprised that I didn't find one of the most common defences I see in my League. Not sure what to call it, but I call it something like the "stacks of 2".

This had me confused for a minute, until I figured out that Your field is 2 squares too wide. Here is a fixed version:

I see this now and then at MBBL. I was thinking of the name as "columns" rather than "stacks of 2".

I've also seen it with the back field moved up, or sometimes in. So you might get:

or:

That last is risking a Quick Snap on the kick off table, but I think it can still be useful, especially if you have one or more guards on the line. That way you protect the ends and make it harder for the opponent to get 2d blocks on your line.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

You can go another space back with the back row if you like. It does let one guy get surrounded, though, unless you put them in a pair of trap walls.