Naming the common defensive setups

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

James_Probert
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naming the common defensive setups

Post by James_Probert »

Well, I've got a few hours spare, gonna put a few of these into playcreator.com

might have a few to add myself ;)

Reason: ''
<Grumbledook>I know what GW are like. I'm a gambling man, not an idiot ;]
Coach
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Coach »

I've got a formations category on bbtactics (doesn't show cause I've not put articles on them yet)

Was going to put them up using play creator as well, don't agree with all the position labels though, bit too confusing giving the way players change position a lot during a game.

How were you planning on labelling the positions? I could just reuse them rather than having to remake them all again.

James_Probert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James_Probert »

Note all these are mostly '101' variants for each of these defences, though there may be times when a '202' or even a '303' may be more appropriate.
Also, I have used a Chaos team to get 11 linos straight off, place your positionals well....

Ziggurat

Inverted Ziggurat

Half Zigg

Arrowhead

St3/Guard Zigg Variant

Elf vs St3

Proper Double Banana

Spider/Volcano

Power T

The Crossbow

Who's Your Daddy/The Stack

Columns

Smiley

The Flak

Though for preventing standard OTSs I prefer

Or for TTM OTSs

Sorry for the long post

Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

James_Probert wrote:Note all these are mostly '101' variants for each of these defences, though there may be times when a '202' or even a '303' may be more appropriate.
Also, I have used a Chaos team to get 11 linos straight off, place your positionals well....
Sorry for the long post
Thanks there was a few of those I have not seen. I like the alternative anti-TTM setup. I will give that a try.

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Taking this one step further into skilling players. What do you think is the better skills for Line-Ends. Assuming I have a Troll with Guard as the Noseguard would the BOB's be better with Block & Guard or Block & Stand Firm?

You also talked about Sidestep for agility teams. Are you recommending Block and Side Step for Elven Ends?

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
James_Probert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James_Probert »

Marlow wrote:I like the alternative anti-TTM setup.
Thanks, you can push it as far up field as you like, but the key point of my variant is to force as many, and as hard as possible dodges.

Of course, you can stop the one turner ever being an option by putting 3 guys with SS/SF on the line ;)

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Marlow wrote:Taking this one step further into skilling players. What do you think is the better skills for Line-Ends. Assuming I have a Troll with Guard as the Noseguard would the BOB's be better with Block & Guard or Block & Stand Firm?

You also talked about Sidestep for agility teams. Are you recommending Block and Side Step for Elven Ends?
Usually, what I develop into for Orcs and High Elves runs something like this:

Orcs: I try to get a Blitzer with Side Step so I can run a Half-Zig. Me, I like a Troll with Stand Firm as the inverted-side end, but that's not necessary. Guard is obviously the best nose skill in any 101 alignment, but I'm only keen on Guard ends if all three linemen have Guard: otherwise, it's too easy to negate. I like Block and Stand Firm on my ends, but if they both got to skill #2 at about the same time I could see taking Guard all the way around.

Elves: On my elf teams, the ends are the cheapest guys I can get, unless I run an asymmetric defense. I like to have a nose with Side Step, unless I can spare the Guard player and am facing all ST3: in that case, I might put my Side Step on either end. But early in a team's development, I might pull my Side Steppers off to the wings to run an inverted defense: players with skills but without Dodge are bad news on the line.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

Power T is wrong. The wings are too vulnerable, especially with frenzied players!

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Smurf wrote:Power T is wrong. The wings are too vulnerable, especially with frenzied players!
How would you set up the Power-T? Without a Dodge opponents can not Frenzy anyone into the crowd so not sure what you are worried about?
mattgslater wrote:Orcs: I try to get a Blitzer with Side Step so I can run a Half-Zig. Me, I like a Troll with Stand Firm as the inverted-side end, but that's not necessary. Guard is obviously the best nose skill in any 101 alignment, but I'm only keen on Guard ends if all three linemen have Guard: otherwise, it's too easy to negate.
Interesting. I would not have used my doubles for Side Step. A player with SS/Guard is nice but I do not see it as that much more valuable than Stand Firm.

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
James_Probert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by James_Probert »

Smurf wrote:Power T is wrong. The wings are too vulnerable, especially with frenzied players!
Really, you need leap to be able to get at them, as they're right on the sidelines, so a frenzied player would just set themselves up to be surfed, therefore the question needs to be asked, how would you do it instead then?

Smurf

Post by Smurf »

The guys next to the side lines could be moved towards their buddy in the wing. One is to stand parallel another is to stand one square in and one square behind but keeping adjcent to the other wing buddy.

I would attack the formation you have noted by going for the inner most winger, knocking him towards the out most winger. Surround those and keep the pressure on the centre and if playing with a speed team power past.

Having the 2 wingers together creates a stronger wing with room move.

But that's how I see it.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

I really like the cross bow. Been playing a version of it, now can see how my team will use it.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Have a little patience. Blitz the flanker to open a hole for a downfield sideline cage. Drop a Stand Firm guy squareonto the wing, ensure he can't get an even block, and he'll have to hit you at 1/2 die hoping to go down. I agree that the Power T is massively wrongheaded. You don't need to leap or dodge at -2 to get a crowd-push out of the Power T: you can engineer one for turn 2 with 8/9 odds. Heck, if you blitz with Frenzy and Stand Firm, you can engineer two.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Setomidor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Setomidor »

"The Guardian"

A defensive setup suitable for Lizardmen, where Skinks occupy the four rearmost positions to avoid getting targetted. The distance between the LoS and the rear lines should be varied to cope with the movement of the enemy blitzer (the above scenario requires 8 steps in order to blitz a skink).

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Smurf wrote:I really like the cross bow. Been playing a version of it, now can see how my team will use it.
What team do you use it with and against who? I would like to meet that with my dark elves... But can see the use for it myself with two sidestepping blitzers in the widezones.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet