Another replacement idea for Khemri

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Another replacement idea for Khemri

Post by Joemanji »

As the Khemri process has gone so wrong, i thought I'd say what I think would be a cool direction for the team (in a world with no restrictions).

I'm firmly situated in the "four ST5 players is fundamentally wrong" camp. It is just going to be overpowering in a long term league given even standard Improvements. If you can get doubles and stat increases on top then the team is going to dominate. I'm not yet convinced by the experimental roster. I don't hate the Tomb Guardians, but giving Skeletons Thick Skull and raising their cost to 40K sticks in my throat a bit. It just seems like a blatant patch. By all means give them a 40K lineman worth that amount, but don't just bend them out of shape for the sake of team balance. But I just don't think its possible to balance any team with four ST5 players backed by ST3 linos.

So, I've gone back to the 2nd edition Skeleton team roster (again). This time with one interesting change that gives the team a new angle.

0-16 Linemen _ 40k _ 5 3 2 7 _ Regen, Nerves of Steel _ G
0-1 Chopper _ 40k _ 5 3 2 7 _ Chainsaw, SW, Regen, NoS _ G
0-2 Throwers _ 70k _ 5 3 3 7 _ Pass, Sure Hands, Regen, NoS _GP
0-2 Catchers _ 70k _ 7 2 3 7 _ Catch, Dodge, Regen, NoS _ GA
0-2 Blitzers _ 80k _6 3 2 8 _ Block, Regen, NoS _ GS
0-1 Tomb King _ 150k _ 3 6 1 9 _ Foul Appearance, Mighty Blow, Regenerate

Notes:
1) The player's stats are a direct translation of the 2nd ed team, with the LRB 6.0 addition of Nerves of Steel. This seems like it might be a fun direction for the team, meaning they are unflappable under pressure. It is not that great on a lineman, but is essentially free on the positionals and so balances out over the whole team's TV.

2)Giving the ball handling positionals AG3 fits with that, and helps make the team less one dimensional.

3) The Tomb King is interchangable with a basic Mummy for me. I included the souped up version because the team is obviously lacking in other areas, and because it fits with the 2nd ed stats. If there is only going to be one of them, he might as well be the big dog. :wink: He could have Loner I suppose, but I don't see him as a big guy per se.

4) The positionals are here named Lineman, Blitzer etc to differentiate them fro Skeletons etc on other rosters.

5) I'd also like to give the Tomb King a new skill - Toughness (S): The player is almost supernatually difficult to injure. Subtract 1 from any Injury Roll he makes. If this brings the total below 2, the player counts a merely Prone. I think this would be a cool way of showing just how montrous this guy is.

6) The team could subsitute another skill for Nerves of Steel. Perhaps a skill that describes the unstoppable nature of the Undead. Maybe Jump Up or a new skill that ignores all Stuns?

7) The Chainsaw goes on the roster for all those Khemri players who just like to kill things. :)

-----
Btw this is not a new idea:
In 2004 GalakStarscraper wrote:The PBeM tool is already programmed to play the Skeleton team from the Lustrian PBeM league

Skeleton Team
0-12 Skeleton Lineman 40,000 5 3 2 7 Restoration G
0-4 Skeleton Blitzer 80,000 6 3 2 7 Block, Restoration GS
0-2 Skeleton Thrower 70,000 5 3 3 7 Pass, Sure Hands, Restoration GP
0-4 Skeleton Catcher 60,000 7 2 3 7 Catch, Dodge, Restoration GA
Rerolls Cost: 70,000

Restoration is Regeneration that works on a 2+

Galak
Though the 2+ regen seems a bit much for me.

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Well, this is absolutely nothing like any Khmeri team we've seen to date, meaning 2 things:

1) The idea probably has some merit ;)

2) The current models won't work.

I like it though, it's a pretty weak side, but probably fun to try out. It would be a fun challenge.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hmmm...
I haven't seen anything indicating that the new khemri are powerful. Short or long term.
I think the broken bit about the old team was all that starting mighty blow - it put them ahead on the devlopment curve (and their opponents most likely behind on the same curve).

I could see AG3 on khemri though :)

But I don't see how your linemen are any more worth 40K than the thick skull ones are.
Unless they regen on 2+
I think I'd be using thick skull more times per game than NOS.

Ah well, you've certainly caught some of the flavour of the 2nd ed team :D
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Jural wrote:2) The current models won't work.
True, though they work as much as the Chaos Dwarf roster (i.e. only one 0-2 positional is missing). Those head types could possibly work to distinguish between 3 types of positional too.
plasmoid wrote:But I don't see how your linemen are any more worth 40K than the thick skull ones are.
Unless they regen on 2+
I think I'd be using thick skull more times per game than NOS.
I agree. However, all the positionals get a 10K discount and NoS for free, so it balances out IMO. This would be a way to help out real Khemri btw - give the Thro-Ras and Blitz-Ras Thick Skull for free.

Alternatively you could swap NoS for Jump Up. I think this could be a really cool way to represent both the relentless nature of an Undead team ("they just keep coming" in the style of Jason and the Argonauts). Bearing in mind the linemen and blitzers could only block on a 3+, so your only 2+ block players are the valuable AG3 players, two of whom are ST2. The more I think of this actually, the more I like it. :D

In an ideal world you could even swap NoS for a new skill called "Relentless" that meant players counted all Stuns as Prone. But I didn't want to overwhelm the team with a mass of new rules.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Another replacement idea for Khemri

Post by Elyoukey »

Joemanji wrote: 0-1 Tomb King _ 150k _ 3 6 1 9 _ Foul Appearance, Mighty Blow, Regenerate
I don't really like the rest of the team, but a player with ST6 and no negative trait is to powerfull i think, with mightyblow and Foul appearance, even levelled up minos cannot fight against him.
Drop ST to 5 and remove mighty will already make it painfull enough, since you also have a chainsaw in the team for the casualties amorce.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Elyoukey wrote:
Joemanji wrote: 0-1 Tomb King _ 150k _ 3 6 1 9 _ Foul Appearance, Mighty Blow, Regenerate
I don't really like the rest of the team, but a player with ST6 and no negative trait is to powerfull i think, with mightyblow and Foul appearance, even levelled up minos cannot fight against him.
He's M3, and the rest of the team is AV7. Bashy teams will gang up on him, and agile ones will avoid him. I'd prefer S5 for consistency with other 0-1 players though.

An all JU roster would be great... I think it is a bit of an underused skill.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

How about Jump Up on the linemen, NoS on everyone else?

I have to say I have thought about this roster, and I really like it. IT would be a fun change, even if the positionals were all AG 2.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

I like the idea of giving skeletons JU or a never-stunned skill.

Heres a crazy idea I was thinking about earlier:

0-4 Tomb Guardians 3 5 1 9 Regenerate 120k S/GAP
0-16 Skeletons 5 3 3 7 Regenerate 50k G/ASP
0-2 Throw-Ras 5 3 3 7 Sure Hands, Pass, Regenerate 70k GP/AS
0-4 Catch-Ras 7 2 3 7 Dodge, Diving Catch, Regenerate 70k GA/SP

The skeletons are pretty pricey for what they are but that seems fair. I'm not quite sure I'm happy about the Catch-Ras. I definately like them on the basic team. However, the team feels like it could develop poorly and end up unable to break cages or compete against orc/dwarf teams that are fully kitted out with guard.

Any ideas?

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Jural wrote:How about Jump Up on the linemen, NoS on everyone else?
Interesting. Would give you a reason to field more Linemen I guess.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I like it, though I'd take Dodge away from the Catcher. Seems a little undercosted otherwise, even at ST2. (that's a ghoul switching 1ST for 3 other skills otherwise...one of which is a double, another unavailable).

I think the Tomb King would be fine at ST5, though I'd let testing show if ST6 was too much. If he did get ST6 I'd probably drop MB.

Certainly a good effort though. Would stand some testing.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

0-6 Tomb Guardians 5 4 1 9 Regenerate, Break Tackle 100k S/GAP
0-16 Skeletons 5 3 2 7 Regenerate, Nerves of Steel 50k GAP/S
Rerolls: 60k

A diffrent "lizardmen" team.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

stashman wrote:0-6 Tomb Guardians 5 4 1 9 Regenerate, Break Tackle 100k S/GAP
0-16 Skeletons 5 3 2 7 Regenerate, Nerves of Steel 50k GAP/S
Rerolls: 60k

A diffrent "lizardmen" team.
Wow, different as in worse in every way :)

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I love the skill relentless you talked about Joe - never stunned. That's worth playtesting!

Of course I don't accept that the Khemri roster of old is unbalanced, so can only agree that the BBRC's efforts to alter Khemri has gone wrong.

Nice work though. Maybe Schmee will consider converting/painting an alternative roster and trying something like this out...?

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

I don't care for all the attempts to add Catchers to the Khemri. They have bone hands! Catching SHOULD be hard.

I think the Khemri occupy a very specific niche in the BB team list - They hit very well (after a while) but handling the ball is very difficult with all that 2-AG. They need the 2-AG to balance out all the 5-ST.

I really like the 6.0 Khemri as is and look forward to playing them in one of our local leagues (after my NecroMuppet Show run it's course ;) )

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
someone2040
Experienced
Experienced

Post by someone2040 »

Personally I'm against giving Khemri 'decent' agility. None of the really undead things have decent agility (Werewolves aren't really dead). I think it's kind've the feel of the team, they should be a crappy ball handling team, it's part of their play style.

But yeah, I think Nerves of Steel is definately interesting across the whole team. To show that the Undead aren't phased by anything. The of course, quick patch solution is just to give everyone who doesn't have it, Thick Skull. This makes sense, they're all Skeletons after all.

I personally think Khemri can easily be fixed, while still holding character if you ignore the 4 strength 5 guys resctriction. You can throw in all sorts of Tomb King craziness. Create a Tomb King character like the original poster. Throw in some Ushtabi or something (Say 4 5 1 9 Loner, Breack Tackle, Regeneration) instead of Tomb Guardians to go along and protect the King. Definately room for the Khemri team to develop a character that isn't 4 Mummies (Of course, with LRB 6 they kind've have too).

--SoMeoNe2040--