Chaos Power teams and Beastman teams

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Chaos Power teams and Beastman teams

Post by graeme27uk »

Reading the forums there are lots of ideas for Chaos Power teams and Beastman specific teams.
The standard Chaos team feels lacking whilst the Nurgle team has a more themetic feel about it.

Nurgle Warriors, Pestigors, and Rotters all fit the theme and make a Nurgle team feel different.

There doesn't seem to be the same for the other powers and Beastmen are missing.

The other chaos power teams don't feel specific enough and just a demon bolted on...

Are there any definitive rosters out there that are equally as themetic?

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Chaos Power teams and Beastman teams

Post by Darkson »

graeme27uk wrote:Are there any definitive rosters out there that are equally as themetic?
Nope. There are lots (and lots) of fan rosters, but the powers-that-be, for some reason, never wanted power-themed teams for the other 3 powers. :(

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by graeme27uk »

Well to me the themes should be something like...

Tzeentch - random stuff, magic, powerful but unpredictable

Slaanesh - not affected by injury (more they like to be injured and ignore it), daemonettes, trick the enemy to either not attacking them or mind control

Khorne - hard hitting, psychotic

Slaanesh could have Thick Skull to represent them shrugging off wounds or simply just revelling in the ecstasy of pain.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I have to say most of the God themed chaos teams were pretty terrible. They were either a bit bland and samey so didn't warrant 4 Chaos teams or just a bit of a mess.

Nurgle went through loads of different rosters in the journal, the BB mag and online before we got to the current roster and i think they have only just got it right.

You can always take skills/mutations that you feel represent the other 3 gods in your chaos(pact) team and theme them yourself.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Patchwork
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Patchwork »

spubbbba wrote:You can always take skills/mutations that you feel represent the other 3 gods in your chaos(pact) team and theme them yourself.
That's always been my preference for it but then I was never into Warhammer and only into 40k a little bit, so I'm not into the Chaos fluff from those.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

spubbbba wrote:You can always take skills/mutations that you feel represent the other 3 gods in your chaos(pact) team and theme them yourself.
Give a Tzeentch team lots of mutations and try and pull an aerial game (with all that AG3 they can do it with the right skills/doubles).
Give a Khorne team lots of aggressive, in-your-face skills and mutations for the running game.
Give a Slaanesh team a delicate but hard hitting (lots of sexy claws) set of skills for a balanced pass/run game.

Simples (well not really in practice to develop them but the theme ideas themselves are easy enough)!

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by graeme27uk »

Ulthuan_Express wrote:
Give a Tzeentch team lots of mutations and try and pull an aerial game (with all that AG3 they can do it with the right skills/doubles).
Give a Khorne team lots of aggressive, in-your-face skills and mutations for the running game.
Give a Slaanesh team a delicate but hard hitting (lots of sexy claws) set of skills for a balanced pass/run game.

Simples (well not really in practice to develop them but the theme ideas themselves are easy enough)!

But this misses the point. Why is there a specific Nurgle team? That team feels different to the printed Chaos team. Why not do justice to the other powers?

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

graeme27uk wrote:
Ulthuan_Express wrote:

But this misses the point. Why is there a specific Nurgle team? That team feels different to the printed Chaos team. Why not do justice to the other powers?
Nurgle's Rotters were the only Chaos team (other than the All-Stars) to be specifically mentioned in the fluff, what with their diseases, decay, etc. Seems fitting that they'd actually get a playable team out of it, while no other particular Chaos God-inspired side had sprung up so they only get to use the 'regular' chaos team.

Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by graeme27uk »

Nurgle's Rotters were the only Chaos team (other than the All-Stars) to be specifically mentioned in the fluff, what with their diseases, decay, etc. Seems fitting that they'd actually get a playable team out of it, while no other particular Chaos God-inspired side had sprung up so they only get to use the 'regular' chaos team.
But this is a rubbish excuse. Using this excuse then nothing would get developed as if its not mentioned in the fluff then it doesn't happen. Just because its not in the fluff doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't happen.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

graeme27uk wrote:
But this is a rubbish excuse. Using this excuse then nothing would get developed as if its not mentioned in the fluff then it doesn't happen. Just because its not in the fluff doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't happen.
Well as i said before the main reason was that the other teams didn't have anything unique to separate them from the other gods.

Daemons are the only things that are god specific and all attempts to bring them to the Bloodbowl world have been universally awful. The rotters had the whole aspect of recruiting other players in the fluff before even undead, and they went though some pretty complicated and ropey rules versions to get what we have today.

There just isn't enough difference in the 4 gods to make their individual teams intersting enough.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Borthcollective
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Borthcollective »

24 Teams seems to be enough to me. Pick a team that suits what you would like for your chaos theme and then model away. As long as you let people know what's what there is rarely a problem.

graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by graeme27uk »

Well as i said before the main reason was that the other teams didn't have anything unique to separate them from the other gods.

Daemons are the only things that are god specific and all attempts to bring them to the Bloodbowl world have been universally awful. The rotters had the whole aspect of recruiting other players in the fluff before even undead, and they went though some pretty complicated and ropey rules versions to get what we have today.

There just isn't enough difference in the 4 gods to make their individual teams intersting enough.

Sure there are lots of difference. Khorne is vastly different to Tzeentch. It feels its just no one can be bothered to put the leg work in. Nurgle are interesting as a team, so why not do the others.

Plus the current Chaos Team I dislike in that it uses beastmen and warriors. This (as suggested before) needs to be split into a separate Beastman and a separate Warrior team.

Why bother having Norse and Amazons... they are humans.

Why bother having Khemri, Undead and Necro... they are all Undead....

That argument can be used for other teams so what makes Chaos so unworthy?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thing is, you're arguing for something that has been asked for from the early days of TFF, and from before that, and yet, 10+ years later, we still have the "all-in-one" Chaos team, and only a Nurgle-specific power team. It's not because people haven't tried (I think there a post or two on this subject from my early days :oops: ), it's just because no-one has ever come up with anything better that works - "no one can be bothered to put the leg work in" is well wide of the mark, and because the majority of people don't see it as an improvement.

That's not to say you shouldn't try and do it, and houserule it into your league, but be prepared for apathy from many, and you have to realise that it's got almost 0% chance of ever making it anywhere near official.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
graeme27uk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by graeme27uk »

Darkson wrote:Thing is, you're arguing for something that has been asked for from the early days of TFF, and from before that, and yet, 10+ years later, we still have the "all-in-one" Chaos team, and only a Nurgle-specific power team. It's not because people haven't tried (I think there a post or two on this subject from my early days :oops: ), it's just because no-one has ever come up with anything better that works - "no one can be bothered to put the leg work in" is well wide of the mark, and because the majority of people don't see it as an improvement.

That's not to say you shouldn't try and do it, and houserule it into your league, but be prepared for apathy from many, and you have to realise that it's got almost 0% chance of ever making it anywhere near official.

I have posted some suggested alternative Chaos power teams. I wasn't really having a go at anyone specifically, it just vexes me that a game that is still popular gets lip-service on things that are obviously wanted by players. Chaos just seems to have been dumped upon whereas other races have more work put into them...

We have three elf teams, three human teams, four undead teams, three goblinoid teams (if you include ogre/snotling), on so forth...

Yet only two Chaos teams for.... Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne, Slaanesh, Demons, Beastmen, Warriors, Undivided.... there is plenty of scope to develop Chaos teams further.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

graeme27uk wrote:Yet only two Chaos teams for.... Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne, Slaanesh, Demons, Beastmen, Warriors, Undivided.... there is plenty of scope to develop Chaos teams further.
Hands up who remembers when Chaos only had one Codex/Army Book in each game of the major game systems, and Undead only had 'Undead', rather than Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. A straight translation of 'oh look how many different types of troops a particular army has, let's have an equal number of Blood Bowl teams' doesn't work, imho.

Besides, the concept of Daemons running around playing sports has always seemed an odd one to me.

Plus, thanks to GW, our latest 'Competition Rules' had about 5 minutes of effort put into them before being posted with zero fanfare on the BB section of the website and, rather than try and cash in (miniatures- & boxed sets-wise) on the obvious popularity of the Cyanide game, they've done precisely nothing, bar shutting down anyone who has the word 'Blood Bowl' in their websites. Popular as the game may be amongst the community, they don't give a flying... fish about developing it further.

Just be glad that it's an incredibly easy game to input and houserule your own teams into!