Zoat Star Player - Laargil Thickhide

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Zoat Star Player - Laargil Thickhide

Post by axiom »

So I was digging through my 40k Zoat army and it occurred to me that this 'counts as' leaping Tyranid Warrior might make a suitable Zoat Blood Bowl player:

Laargil Thickhide: Amazon, Lizardman, Wood Elf

250k, 6 5 3 8, Loner, Break Tackle, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Sure Feet, Thick Skull

Background
Everyone knows that dangerous creatures live in the deep dark woods. A few people know that some of these dangerous creatures have four legs, two arms and scaly skins. Most of these creatures stay in the deep, dark wood, but one smelled the whiff of blood and hot-dogs, heard the cracking of armour, the roar of the crowd, and started thinking there’s more to life than woodland glades, mossy beds and babbling brooks.

In 2489 Laargil Thickhide the Zoat wandered unwittingly into the Wood Elf settlement of Celadillian Dell, entertaining the Greenwood Wildcats depleted by the desertion of many of their key players to teams with a fuller purse. Blinking and unsure, Laargil was transfixed as the elven Wildcats were thrashed by the Ostlund Oldboys 0-5. Immediately after the game, Laargil threw down his wormwood staff offered beleagured Wildcats coach Neniun Farsight his raw potential and was immediately signed up. Four years on and Laargil’s desirable playing skills much needed steel to the Wildcats’ scrimmage and provided the springboard for great success. Laargil has since been courted by a number of teams for exhibition matches and knock-out competitions; some teams have even sent scouts into the woods in search of the next Zoat player, but none have returned!

Off the pitch, Laargil can appear like a country bumpkin, with his rural vowels, penchant for tankards of fermented dog-apple cider and gawping at any building over two stories in height. Ulf the Hawkfisted of the Norsca Rangers was the last to mention these quaint mannerisms directly to Laargil’s face during the Reikland Open Elevens semi-final in 2492; Laargil treated Ulf to an extended trampling by his full 2000 lbs, making a rather nasty greasy smear on the grass, having barely paused from chewing his grass stalk.

What do you think? Basically he's a big guy with the lower torso of a rhino, hence the skills. Zoats were supposed to be pretty intelligent, so no Bonehead. What do you think a rookie Zoat might look like?

Reason: ''
http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Zoat Star Player - Laargil Thickhide

Post by voyagers_uk »

I'd lose stand firm, but otherwise he's nice.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
axiom

Post by axiom »

Glad you like - just interested in why lose Stand Firm? Doesn't fit? Undercosted with it? Cheers :)

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

compare him to mighty zug, who is more expensive, agility 2, and only has block/mighty blow

i think that the agility 3 is a real kicker on an already good player

axiom

Post by axiom »

nazgob wrote:compare him to mighty zug, who is more expensive, agility 2, and only has block/mighty blow

i think that the agility 3 is a real kicker on an already good player
I was looking at Mighty Zug earlier actually - do you think he's overcosted compared to some of the other Star Players? He doesn't seem to add much value for his stat line/skills.

AG 3 is in the try and differentiate from all the other big guys, but perhaps a points rise is needed on the Zoat

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I can't remember the exact formula (I know there was a point's deduction somewhere alone the line), but all the BG stars (which I think this would be classed as) were costed up from what skills you needed to give a rookie Saurus during the pre-LRB5 testing phase. I'd look it up on the SG forum, but of course, GW took them down. :roll: Maybe PM Galak to get the formula?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Compare him to slibli and tell me when and why you would ever prefer the saurus to this guy?

He can risk a dodge with BT, where slibli gets tied allthe time cancelling his fast move, he can play the ball, he has better st and ag, better skills and he's only missing block.

If that guy was available to lizzies I'd do my best to lower my tv and induce him every single game. He beats my skinks at running the ball!

I'd give him ag2 or ag1 or just rule that he's too primitive to run the ball and give him no hand.
He's very good in a team like lizzies with already 7 st4+ on the pitch

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Using CRP formula he should be 320k.

Formula used for CRP as starting point:

Use closest player in BB ... if player is a Big Guy type without a negatrait then use a Saurus with only ST access.

Take player's price
Add Loner for no cost
Add 20k for normal skill
Add 30k for doubles skill
Add 40k for MA or AV (or subtract 30k for -1 MA or -1 AV)
Add 50k for AG (or substract 40k for -1 AG)
Add 60k for ST (or substract 50k for -1 ST)
Add 50k for having Block and ST>=4
Add 20k for having Block and Dodge

That should get you to the price we used as the starting point for CRP

Example Roxanne Darknail = 110k (Witch Elf) + 40k (MA) + 50k (AG) + 20k (Leap) + 30k (Juggernaut) = 250k (her CRP price)

For this guy =
6 5 3 8, Loner, Break Tackle, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Sure Feet, Thick Skull
80k + 60k + 50k + 50k - 30k + 20k + 20k + 20k + 30k + 20k = 320k

Tom/Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Another example:

Deeproot:
80k - 30k - 30k - 30k - 30k + 60k + 60k + 40k + 30k + 20k + 20k + 20k + 20k + 20k + 50k = 300k (his CRP price)

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Yeah not far off so between ag1 and ag2 he'd be balanced

Catt
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Catt »

In Warhammer Zoats were exceptionally intelligent and had some of the most potent wizards in the game.

320K sounds like a decent price for him. You could probably take mighty blow off him and reduce his AG to 2 without massively impacting his effectiveness but it would reduce his price enough to make it possible to induce him more often.

axiom

Post by axiom »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Using CRP formula he should be 320k.

Formula used for CRP as starting point:

Use closest player in BB ... if player is a Big Guy type without a negatrait then use a Saurus with only ST access.

Take player's price
Add Loner for no cost
Add 20k for normal skill
Add 30k for doubles skill
Add 40k for MA or AV (or subtract 30k for -1 MA or -1 AV)
Add 50k for AG (or substract 40k for -1 AG)
Add 60k for ST (or substract 50k for -1 ST)
Add 50k for having Block and ST>=4
Add 20k for having Block and Dodge

That should get you to the price we used as the starting point for CRP

Example Roxanne Darknail = 110k (Witch Elf) + 40k (MA) + 50k (AG) + 20k (Leap) + 30k (Juggernaut) = 250k (her CRP price)

For this guy =
6 5 3 8, Loner, Break Tackle, Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Sure Feet, Thick Skull
80k + 60k + 50k + 50k - 30k + 20k + 20k + 20k + 30k + 20k = 320k

Tom/Galak
Galak, this is really useful stuff - how does it work when you're putting teams together? Same formula? Do I see some teams has having value breaks on some of their players? Oh...CRP stands for...?

So taking off Stand Firm or Mighty Blow and having him at AG2 would knock 70k off the cost (and bring him into line cost-wise at 250k)...

So, revision 2 gives me:

250k, 6 5 2 8, Loner, Break Tackle, Stand Firm, Sure Feet, Thick Skull

(Stand Firm rather than Mighty Blow as it make him a bit different to other Big Guys)

Would you use him with that statline??

Catt
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Catt »

I could see Amazon using him because he's as fast as them and break tackle and st 5 gives him good maneuverability as well. Lizard men might as well ashes compliments there game.

I'd need to compare him with the other available stars but he looks interesting.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

axiom wrote:Galak, this is really useful stuff - how does it work when you're putting teams together? Same formula? Do I see some teams has having value breaks on some of their players? Oh...CRP stands for...?
CRP = Competition Rules Pack (aka LRB 6.0)

For teams ... use this as a general guide:
http://www.midgardbb.com/NewBBTeamBuildingGuide.html

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

Catt wrote:In Warhammer Zoats were exceptionally intelligent and had some of the most potent wizards in the game.
I agree but this is a zoat model ofa creature living in the wood. Don't feel constrained by the non-physical traits the model does not convey.