Hobgoblin Roster

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Hobgoblin Roster

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Reading through the 2nd Ed booklets I came across the Hobgoblin Team fluff and thought it was a lot of fun. Of course, you could do a team of CD Hobgobs but that's quite limited and positionals do allow the team to stand as a proper team. I based the list around http://www.aferris.net/hobgoblin-book.pdf which gives a mongol feel to the hobgobs (note Ishkhan is Armenian for prince - the Ishkhans are the kids of the khans who have been banished or are out to prove themselves as warriors).

Code: Select all

0-2	Hobgoblin Ishkhan	7	3	3	8	Block			GS	AP	90000
0-2	Hobgoblin Thrower	6	3	3	7	Pass			GP	AS	60000
0-2	Hobgoblin Rogue	6	3	3	7	 Stab		        GA	SP	80000
0-16	Hobgoblin	6	3	3	7		         	        	G	ASP	40000
The only real problem is that this team looks like it might just be able to compete, at least at tier 2 levels. One thought I had would be to make the standard hobgoblin a lineman and limit numbers to 0-2 and add in a 6227 "normal" Hobgoblin to make up the 0-16 slot.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Abuse? ;)

Reason: ''
xzcion
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Hobgoblin Roster

Post by xzcion »

GS/ASP for the linemen?

Typo's aside, no big guy/mummy type positional. The only teams without a big guy atm are all ag4, or amazons. This team has none of the cheese that allows those teams to be competetive without a big guy to anchor the line.

Could definitely use more than 6 positionals, especially as taking them all and 5 lino's still leaves you with 440k to spend.

This may be a case of you need to make them better by thinking about extra starting skills that fit with the fluff.

I was skimming said fluff, and they have alot of cav of various beasts, which makes it hard to pick a big guy (yeah, that again). There's always the ubiquitous ogres, they hail from that region, perhaps there are some outcasts or the skinny feral ones they have drafted into their teams?

Finally, with 40k lino's this team may favour having alot of extra players and fouling frequently despite the AV7? See above about making them better.

Thoughts?

p.s. Fluff based teams are always the best, even if they aren't balanced at least they've got a reason to exist :]

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

why not give them secret weapons?

they are honourless bastards, they would bring a chainsaw to a fist fight for sure. Basically they would be ST3 Goblins without dodge/stunty and without the trolls.

I like the fact that they have no big guys (it makes them different). I'd overload with cheap secret weapons to be nasty chainsaw and bombs

With their ridiculously low cost they could use inducement for big guy requirement, without the chance of ever improving them (no one wants to say they play regularily willing play with hobbos).

I was much more thinking "sneaky, evil and incompetent" with the following roster:

0-16   Hobgoblin   6   3   3   7 Sneaky Git        G   ASP   50000
0-2   Hobgoblin Bomber 6   3   3   7 Sneaky Git, Bombardier, Secret Weapon,  G   ASP   50000
0-2   Hobgoblin Chainsaw   6   3   3   7 Sneaky Git, Chainsaw, Secret Weapon  G   AS   60000
0-2   Hobgoblin Rogue   6   3   3   7 Sneaky Git, Stab              GA   SP   80000
Bribes at half price like the gobbos.
RR at 70k since they can't play together properly.

This team is full of fail, but I'd hate to face it. So much sneakiness. You can expect some interesting development as well with the Rogue Hobgoblin accessing G and A, and the rest having access to dirty player on single rolls.

The Chainsaws are awesome, with G access, you can quickly Block/dirty player them... if you manage to give them SPP, and retain them.

Basically you have the anti team, and I expect it would be a lot of fun to play.
People have no problems seeing a CLAW/MB/PILE ON monster, maybe they will accept a nasty bunch of foulers.

Example team start:
Reroll Galore
4 RR,
2 chainsaw
2 Bombers
2 Rogue
6 Hobbos
40k banked for an apo, keeping the TV low for bribes

apo
3 RR
2 chainsaw
2 Bombers
2 Rogue
7 hobbos
1 apo

I'm going away from your original design though. Apologies about that.

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I like giving them all sneaky git, it seems very appropriate. I'm tempted to give the regular Hobbos Animosity too as they are meant to be dumber than regular Goblins.

At the end of the day, this is a team that should be aiming at tier 3 if we want to fit the fluff, or tier 2 at most (maybe the Hobgoblin Ream were exceptionally bad even for Hobgobs).

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

They could do it with a troll, and for the rogue dirty player/shadowing looks interesting, even Mov 7 as well.

Any way I've liked the team. Need to buy and paint two rogues now!!!

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I see the rogue as their catcher as much as a DE assassin type.

I'm not keen on the secret weapons, partly because I'm going more for the mongol horde feel, but also because regular goblins have that sewn up. It's difficult trying to do something different, but interesting.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

There is no foul-dedicated team. Give them sneaky git. Or make a sneaky git positional

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Currently the roster looks like this:

0-2	Hobgoblin Ishkhan	100000	7	3	3	8	Block, Sneaky Git	GS	AP
0-2	Hobgoblin Thrower	70000	6	3	3	7	Pass, Sneaky Git	GP	AS
0-2	Hobgoblin Rogue	90000	6	3	3	7	Stab, Sneaky Git	GA	SP
0-16	Hobgoblin Lineman	50000	6	3	3	7	Sneaky Git	G	ASP
	Reroll	70000							
Looks fairly workable to me

xzcion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xzcion »

Yes, that is evil, and I would play it. :]

Do you think you'd still need the cut price bribes with that much sneaky git?

Don't let those tricksy fumbblers see it though...

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

Let me insist adding dirty player to the rogue for another 10,000 will make it a interesting wiked positional, Shall it foul or better keep on stabbing? That's the question mark,...

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

txapo wrote:Let me insist adding dirty player to the rogue for another 10,000 will make it a interesting wiked positional, Shall it foul or better keep on stabbing? That's the question mark,...
Since you can only do one foul a turn and you are likely going to develop a lino as a Dirty player, you will unlikely waste/risk your rogue to put the boot in saving him for block/Stab wouldn't you?

In that respect you will likely prefer to save 10k on the rogue.

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Greyhound wrote:
txapo wrote:Let me insist adding dirty player to the rogue for another 10,000 will make it a interesting wiked positional, Shall it foul or better keep on stabbing? That's the question mark,...
Since you can only do one foul a turn and you are likely going to develop a lino as a Dirty player, you will unlikely waste/risk your rogue to put the boot in saving him for block/Stab wouldn't you?

In that respect you will likely prefer to save 10k on the rogue.
Agreed, the Rogue is your only chance at getting AG skills and is more valuable than most of the rest of the team in terms of dealing with the opposition. And with AV7 you're going to have a hard enough time keeping them on the pitch without attracting the Ref's attention.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Isn't 90k for the rogue overpriced compared to the dark elf assassin? You swap sneaky git for shadowing, but go from AG4 to 3 for no discount. Shadowing is furthermore a better skill on such a piece as you wouldn't foul with you most expensive player.
But apart from that, I really like the theme of the team.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

That's a fair point, but I think it's balanced relative to the team as a whole. Make the players too cheap and every starting lineup will be the same.

Greyhound
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Greyhound »

in that case can we give him Jump Up for free?
Jump Up combines well with Stab, and will make him awesome, in a mediocre team.

If you think it's too powerful and you want to nerf the team into tier 3, give the Rogue a lesser skill, like... mmh shadowing is too "dark Elve", maybe diving tackle?